Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Open Carrying with an internal holster?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    11

    Open Carrying with an internal holster?

    Say I have an holster that sits right below my belly.

    It's still considered open carry with the pistol there, if it's infront of my shirt?

    Technically it wouldn't be concealed, as the gun would be clearly visible....

    The reason I ask this is because I'm a little uncomfortable with using a hip-holster. I feel somebody could easily walk up from behind me and just snatch it right out of the holster... but if it's snug infront of my stomach then I will see anyone who tries to get it.

    I know they make those inside the belt holsters for conceal carries, my sister has one, and she's 25, but if the gun is visible, then it is technically an open carry.

    What's your opinion on the matter? The only other option I would opt for is a shoulder holster, but I feel it would get in the way of things and could be potentially difficult to grab quickly when I need it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    39
    If the gun is visible, it's not concealed. I also prefer an IWB holster with the grip and couple inches of slide clearly visible. Feels more secure there, I can draw it quickly, and it doesn't draw as much attention. The gun is black, so I often wear black shirts tucked in behind it so it sort of blends in. Most people never even realize I'm carrying, even though it is open carry.

  3. #3
    Regular Member moonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    High Point NC
    Posts
    253
    I have mixed feelings about this. I also do this quite a bit but I do feel more secure OC'ing with a retention holster.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    69
    IMO I feel it is safer to carry OC with a retention holster rather than an IWB holster. However, there is no substitute for situational awareness

  5. #5
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfish View Post
    IMO I feel it is safer to carry OC with a retention holster rather than an IWB holster. However, there is no substitute for situational awareness
    Please explain why you feel it's safer.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Please explain why you feel it's safer.
    Why would it not be? He did post it was his opinion, not that it was a fact, why question someone on their comfort level?

  7. #7
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Why would it not be? He did post it was his opinion, not that it was a fact, why question someone on their comfort level?

    I politely asked him to explain his opinion that is all. He may have reasons why he does something I'd like to know.

    What is your problem? Is there some reason I can't ask someone to explain their reason for their opinion?
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 09-12-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I politely asked him to explain his opinion that is all. He may have reasons why he does something I'd like to know.

    What is your problem? Is there some reason I can't ask someone to explain their reason for their opinion?
    You weren't asking me, but I also said I prefer this carry method, so I'll respond, too. I usually prefer to carry IWB but not concealed. I prefer this way because it makes the gun fit much closer to my body and it never moves even a bit. My current OWB bolster is a belt mounted BlackHawk Serpa CQC holster. It might just be that holster, but it is not as rock solid feeling as having the gun held to my body by the belt. I had a good test of how well the IWB holster worked yesterday- my dog and the neighbor's dog took off down the street together, and I had to run at a dead sprint for about 1.5 miles before I finally caught them- had to jump a couple fences in order to not lose sight of dogs. Gun never moved at all. I was happy with the way it felt while running and find it good to know that I can do that kind of thing and not have to worry about what the gun is doing. Also, my OWB holster holds the gun farther away from my body, causing my right arm to hit it all the effin' time, even just while walking. Bugs the ever lovin' crap out of me, and the IWB doesn't do that.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I politely asked him to explain his opinion that is all. He may have reasons why he does something I'd like to know.

    What is your problem? Is there some reason I can't ask someone to explain their reason for their opinion?
    And I politely asked you~what is your problem? I think when it comes to preferences made on the level of comfort level his post was self explanatory. It is like asking why a person prefers green beans to broccoli. They will say one tastes better~well duhhhhhhh...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    197
    I can't cite any references to this so I'll probably get roasted alive, but I thought open carry had to be "visible and recognizable on three sides" or something to that effect?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Please explain why you feel it's safer.
    retention retention retention IWB does not have the retention that my lvl2 safariland ALS has

  12. #12
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    You weren't asking me, but I also said I prefer this carry method, so I'll respond, too. I usually prefer to carry IWB but not concealed. I prefer this way because it makes the gun fit much closer to my body and it never moves even a bit. My current OWB bolster is a belt mounted BlackHawk Serpa CQC holster. It might just be that holster, but it is not as rock solid feeling as having the gun held to my body by the belt. I had a good test of how well the IWB holster worked yesterday- my dog and the neighbor's dog took off down the street together, and I had to run at a dead sprint for about 1.5 miles before I finally caught them- had to jump a couple fences in order to not lose sight of dogs. Gun never moved at all. I was happy with the way it felt while running and find it good to know that I can do that kind of thing and not have to worry about what the gun is doing. Also, my OWB holster holds the gun farther away from my body, causing my right arm to hit it all the effin' time, even just while walking. Bugs the ever lovin' crap out of me, and the IWB doesn't do that.
    Thanks for responding anyway. I agree with jsut about everything you said. I use both IWB and OWB. I like the retention provided by my serpa. But I also like the way the IWB is so close to my body.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 09-14-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  13. #13
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It is like asking why a person prefers green beans to broccoli. They will say one tastes better~well duhhhhhhh...
    No it's not. An unspecific preference for something is a lot different than saying you feel it's safer. You know it, your just being argumentative. Perhaps it's something to do with other threads....
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by mwaterous View Post
    I can't cite any references to this so I'll probably get roasted alive, but I thought open carry had to be "visible and recognizable on three sides" or something to that effect?
    Edit: Nevermind. I used the search feature.... This thread here debunks the "three sides" junk I mentioned, and then there are no shortage of other threads where people debate whether or not using a visible IWB holster is open carry or not. Nevertheless I don't think I want to be one of the test cases and plan to avoid trying that in public until I have a permit.

    I appreciate that people left that alone and let me muck around for myself.
    Last edited by mwaterous; 09-17-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •