• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying with an internal holster?

xtensity

Say I have an holster that sits right below my belly.

It's still considered open carry with the pistol there, if it's infront of my shirt?

Technically it wouldn't be concealed, as the gun would be clearly visible....

The reason I ask this is because I'm a little uncomfortable with using a hip-holster. I feel somebody could easily walk up from behind me and just snatch it right out of the holster... but if it's snug infront of my stomach then I will see anyone who tries to get it.

I know they make those inside the belt holsters for conceal carries, my sister has one, and she's 25, but if the gun is visible, then it is technically an open carry.

What's your opinion on the matter? The only other option I would opt for is a shoulder holster, but I feel it would get in the way of things and could be potentially difficult to grab quickly when I need it.

TDFbound

If the gun is visible, it's not concealed. I also prefer an IWB holster with the grip and couple inches of slide clearly visible. Feels more secure there, I can draw it quickly, and it doesn't draw as much attention. The gun is black, so I often wear black shirts tucked in behind it so it sort of blends in. Most people never even realize I'm carrying, even though it is open carry.

moonie

I have mixed feelings about this. I also do this quite a bit but I do feel more secure OC'ing with a retention holster.

frogfish

IMO I feel it is safer to carry OC with a retention holster rather than an IWB holster. However, there is no substitute for situational awareness

twoskinsonemanns

Why would it not be? He did post it was his opinion, not that it was a fact, why question someone on their comfort level?

I politely asked him to explain his opinion that is all. He may have reasons why he does something I'd like to know.

What is your problem? Is there some reason I can't ask someone to explain their reason for their opinion?

Last edited:

TDFbound

I politely asked him to explain his opinion that is all. He may have reasons why he does something I'd like to know.

What is your problem? Is there some reason I can't ask someone to explain their reason for their opinion?

You weren't asking me, but I also said I prefer this carry method, so I'll respond, too. I usually prefer to carry IWB but not concealed. I prefer this way because it makes the gun fit much closer to my body and it never moves even a bit. My current OWB bolster is a belt mounted BlackHawk Serpa CQC holster. It might just be that holster, but it is not as rock solid feeling as having the gun held to my body by the belt. I had a good test of how well the IWB holster worked yesterday- my dog and the neighbor's dog took off down the street together, and I had to run at a dead sprint for about 1.5 miles before I finally caught them- had to jump a couple fences in order to not lose sight of dogs. Gun never moved at all. I was happy with the way it felt while running and find it good to know that I can do that kind of thing and not have to worry about what the gun is doing. Also, my OWB holster holds the gun farther away from my body, causing my right arm to hit it all the effin' time, even just while walking. Bugs the ever lovin' crap out of me, and the IWB doesn't do that.

WalkingWolf

And I politely asked you~what is your problem? I think when it comes to preferences made on the level of comfort level his post was self explanatory. It is like asking why a person prefers green beans to broccoli. They will say one tastes better~well duhhhhhhh...

mwaterous

I can't cite any references to this so I'll probably get roasted alive, but I thought open carry had to be "visible and recognizable on three sides" or something to that effect?

twoskinsonemanns

You weren't asking me, but I also said I prefer this carry method, so I'll respond, too. I usually prefer to carry IWB but not concealed. I prefer this way because it makes the gun fit much closer to my body and it never moves even a bit. My current OWB bolster is a belt mounted BlackHawk Serpa CQC holster. It might just be that holster, but it is not as rock solid feeling as having the gun held to my body by the belt. I had a good test of how well the IWB holster worked yesterday- my dog and the neighbor's dog took off down the street together, and I had to run at a dead sprint for about 1.5 miles before I finally caught them- had to jump a couple fences in order to not lose sight of dogs. Gun never moved at all. I was happy with the way it felt while running and find it good to know that I can do that kind of thing and not have to worry about what the gun is doing. Also, my OWB holster holds the gun farther away from my body, causing my right arm to hit it all the effin' time, even just while walking. Bugs the ever lovin' crap out of me, and the IWB doesn't do that.

Thanks for responding anyway. I agree with jsut about everything you said. I use both IWB and OWB. I like the retention provided by my serpa. But I also like the way the IWB is so close to my body.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

It is like asking why a person prefers green beans to broccoli. They will say one tastes better~well duhhhhhhh...

No it's not. An unspecific preference for something is a lot different than saying you feel it's safer. You know it, your just being argumentative. Perhaps it's something to do with other threads....:cool:

mwaterous

I can't cite any references to this so I'll probably get roasted alive, but I thought open carry had to be "visible and recognizable on three sides" or something to that effect?

Edit: Nevermind. I used the search feature.... :D This thread here debunks the "three sides" junk I mentioned, and then there are no shortage of other threads where people debate whether or not using a visible IWB holster is open carry or not. Nevertheless I don't think I want to be one of the test cases and plan to avoid trying that in public until I have a permit.

I appreciate that people left that alone and let me muck around for myself. :)

Last edited: