• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A few questions about OC in Virginia Beach

NikRyJ

First off, let me start by introducing myself. My name is Nik, I'm 21 and I currently reside in Virginia Beach. I purchased my first handgun a few days ago (Sig SP2022 .40) and I plan on OCing until I can get my CCW. I have read the law pamphlet stickied here and crossreferenced them with other sites. However, I have a few questions.

1. Is OCing in banks illegal? If it is posted, it is but if it isn't? (Granted, I would imagine it isn't advisable.)

2. Is it legal for the outdoor ATMs?

3. I have read that Walmart is OC friendly but a Chesapeake Sheriff buddy of mine said that Walmart has banned guns in some stores. (I'm personally talking about Salem Crossing)

4. Perhaps the biggest question I have is, does VBPD seem to acknowledge that OC is perfectly legal? I've read horror stories of police harassing OCers.
Your answers are appreciated as there seem to be a few grey areas that I am learning about.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
First off, let me start by introducing myself. My name is Nik, I'm 21 and I currently reside in Virginia Beach. I purchased my first handgun a few days ago (Sig SP2022 .40) and I plan on OCing until I can get my CCW..

Why worry about it Nik?
It only takes 45 days to get your CHP. You've gone 21 years, another 45 days won't hurt you.

Last edited:

NikRyJ

I see what you mean but I'm not allowed to OC when I'm on the clock at my job, it has to be a CC. I will end up OCing when I'm not working however simply because there is no need to hide it from the public.

Last edited:

Justine

I live in VB and I frequently OC to both the WalMart off Lynnhaven and Sabre, and Lynnhaven and Princess Anne with no issues. I bank at NFCU, and they have a no firearms sign posted, so I typically just use the drive up teller. I've been to Plaza Azteca off Holland, my dog's groomer, Napa Auto Parts, Farm Fresh, and many other places around Virginia Beach and Norfolk without incident. If you're not comfortable, then just wait until you have your CHP. Good luck!

wylde007

I see what you mean but I'm not allowed to OC when I'm on the clock at my job, it has to be a CC.
18.2-308(B)(1)

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

If you work there, you SHOULDN'T need a permit. In your "own place of business" has been both broadly and specifically argued on this forum. I would tend to believe that the place you work is your own place of business, while some argue that only the owner of the company enjoys that "privilege" under law.

Maybe User could chime in.

Banks are private property. They set their own rules. There is no "law" specific to them.

Wal Mart is SUPPOSED to have issued a policy where they follow state law, but some general managers try to go above corporate and make s**t up. Don't fall for it.

Does VBCP acknowledge OC as perfectly legal? Horror stories are just that - horror stories. Don't let someone else's exaggerations preclude you from exercising your rights. Virginia Beach is probably one of the MOST alert and accessible police forces in the Commonwealth - and they, um, 'acknowledge' that OC is perfectly legal. Because it is.

Sorry, but questions like these make it sound like you just fell off the turnip wagon. Welcome aboard.

NikRyJ

Thanks for the answers. The stories I have heard weren't about VBPD, but I was double checking. I read the clause about my place of work. The owner of the company put in the employee handbook "It is requested that you don't open carry when under the company name." It may seem as if I'm forfeiting the right but I will CC out of respect for the owner. As for the OC, I may seem a little worried about it but it is more of a thirst for knowledge and the satisfaction of being able to exercise my right safely among all the flak on gun control. I look forward to potentially running into one of you guys out there.

wylde007

I read the clause about my place of work. The owner of the company put in the employee handbook "It is requested that you don't open carry when under the company name."
Your employer can make whatever request he wishes of you.

If you work IN an office or space which is owned and operated by your employer, you should not need a permit to conceal. If you are in a business where you are working out and about (representing the company, do repairs or calling on clients) then it may be different.

Hopefully by this time next year it will all be moot.

If you're out in the Pungo/Red Mill/Landstown area keep you eyes open. I'm out there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Your employer can make whatever request he wishes of you.

If you work IN an office or space which is owned and operated by your employer, you should not need a permit to conceal. If you are in a business where you are working out and about (representing the company, do repairs or calling on clients) then it may be different.

Hopefully by this time next year it will all be moot.

If you're out in the Pungo/Red Mill/Landstown area keep you eyes open. I'm out there.

Hopefully!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
First off, let me start by introducing myself. My name is Nik, I'm 21 and I currently reside in Virginia Beach....

Welcome to OCDO. Check out the sticky at the top of the Virginia Section about the picnic in Newport News - come out and meet lots of other OCers, some CCers, and a few gun rights advocates who do not _C at all.

Go to www.vcdl.com and sign up for the VA-ALERT. Join on-line if you want to, or wait till the Va Beach gun show and see the volunteers at the VCDL table and join there. Talk to the volunteers and they wioll try to direct you towards whatever info you need/want (except what the winning lottery numbers are going to be).

1. Is OCing in banks illegal? If it is posted, it is but if it isn't? (Granted, I would imagine it isn't advisable.)

It is legal unless the bank puts up a no-guns notice. Do not fall for that "It's a federal bank" BS. As far as most of us are concerned, it is very advisable to carry when you are conducting banking business. It helps you protect your money. (Srsly, think about it.)

2. Is it legal for the outdoor ATMs?

Why would it not be? And ATMs are where you need to carry even more than inside the bank.

3. I have read that Walmart is OC friendly but a Chesapeake Sheriff buddy of mine said that Walmart has banned guns in some stores. (I'm personally talking about Salem Crossing)

Wal-Mart policy is to follow the state laws. Your "buddy" is both full of it and probably trying to steer you away from carrying because of the paranoia he has. (Seems most cops are against Law Abiding Citizens carrying even moreso than they are against Violent Criminal Actors carrying.)

I'm not allowed any more to post the link to "The Wal-Mart Walk" - a map of the areas you should cover when taking your first esxcursion to Wally World while carrying.:cry:

4. Perhaps the biggest question I have is, does VBPD seem to acknowledge that OC is perfectly legal? I've read horror stories of police harassing OCers.
Your answers are appreciated as there seem to be a few grey areas that I am learning about.

For quite some time VBPD has been aware of the laws and generally not inclined, either as a department or as individual officers, to place their crank in the wringer on this issue. The general suggestion to purchase a digital voice recorder and have it running while you are outside of your house is for "insurance" against the rogue cop, or the irate and irrational individual, that you might just be unlucky enough to run into. Use the Advanced Search function to look up the term "digital voice recorder" in the Virginia forum - there must be umpteen threads on the subject by now and most have brand/model reviews.

stay safe.