• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in social security office in Portland.

CCinMaine

Since it is a federal office is it illegal to carry like the post office? On my way there to change my new wife's name and don't have time to look it up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I would assume so.

But you have me wondering if this would have more teeth in a lawsuit. One in government might be able to argue that we don't NEED to go into a post office and therefore they aren't restricting our "rights." But they require use to have dealings with the SSA, so should they be able to require us to be disarmed to do it?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think that's the first gun-buster sign I've seen with what looks like a Coonan .357 Magnum pistol.

SovereignAxe

Got married a couple weeks ago and the wife and I went to the SS office today. It's a federal building and, afaik, they're all restricted, so I didn't even bother and left it in the glove box. Sure enough, I saw the exact same sign you just posted when I got to the door.

lockman

State Researcher
Since SCOTUS stated self-defense in a fundamental right you should fall under the other lawful purpose exemption.

But what should an what is are not currently in sync.

CCinMaine

Since SCOTUS stated self-defense in a fundamental right you should fall under the other lawful purpose exemption.

But what should an what is are not currently in sync.

And I don't have the time, money or will to be a test case.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Instead of asserting a right, and getting punished for it, how about calling and sending letters in attempts to handle any business without going into the office. When denied, insist they come outside their air-conditioned office to handle the business outside. Do everything to maintain your right to be armed without breaking the law. Getting their refusal to accommodate on record, and you have a lawsuit, I should hope.

Lthrnck

What if the govenment issues you the "Weapon"...

I find this sign to be in conflict...

I work for the Federal Government...

The sign shows a "Multi-Functional" item as a forbidden weapon...

But I guess it's okay to bring my "Multi-Functional" device into the building ....

Because the "Government" paid for it and then issued it to me.... LOL

I guess it's a "Tool" vs. "Weapon".

CCinMaine

Instead of asserting a right, and getting punished for it, how about calling and sending letters in attempts to handle any business without going into the office. When denied, insist they come outside their air-conditioned office to handle the business outside. Do everything to maintain your right to be armed without breaking the law. Getting their refusal to accommodate on record, and you have a lawsuit, I should hope.

I agree that could work, but not for me. I was there for my wife to change her name and she has no interest in advancing the OC movement. But I'm working on her about it still. Haha.