• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The How-To's Of Buying A Gun

Just a Guy

Hi, All. I am preparing to buy a pistol and two rifles from an estate. I have a permit to carry for CT & am wondering what steps are mandatory for transferring the guns. I believe the sale of the rifles will be very straightforward - pay the $$ & get a receipt. My question is this: can the executor of the estate sell the handgun directly to me or do we need to involve someone with an FFL? Although I hope this can be a simple transfer, both of our preferences is to do it right. Thanks in advance.

Guy

Skinnedknuckles

You can complete the forms, call for an authorization number, and do the transfer without an FFL. However, that puts a stringent record keeping and notificaiton requirements on the seller that he may not want to take on. Much more straightforward to pay an FFL $25-$50 and let him do all the paperwork and record keeping. IMHO

brk913

Just complete it as a normal private transfer with the Executor of the estate, it's then the Executor's job to send a copy of the DPS-3-C to the state and the town in which you reside, this is only for the handgun(s), as you stated with the rifle just hand over the cash, no receipt required at all unless you or he wants one for your records. I see no reason to involve an FFL and pay any fees as the the only difference is who send the DPS-3-C to the DPS..as a seller even to an FFL you are supposed to keep a copy of the paperwork for 25 years so there is no difference there...

Last edited:

Skinnedknuckles

"Sec. 29-33(e) .... The person, firm or corporation selling such pistol or revolver or making delivery or transfer thereof shall give one copy of the receipt to the person making the purchase of such pistol or revolver or to whom the same is delivered or transferred, shall retain one copy of the receipt for at least five years, and shall send, by first class mail, or electronically transmit, within forty-eight hours of such sale, delivery or other transfer, one copy of the receipt to the Commissioner of Public Safety and one copy of the receipt to the chief of police or, where there is no chief of police, the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, of the town in which the transferee resides."

You're right, most of the responsibility is on the seller, but trusting a non-gunny would make me nervous. Just saying.

brk913

"Sec. 29-33(e) You're right, most of the responsibility is on the seller, but trusting a non-gunny would make me nervous. Just saying.

Who cares, it's all on the seller, if they fail to mail in the DPS -3-C they will eventually get a letter from DPS telling them they must do so, you as the buyer would never even know about it. Once there is a call made for an authorization number they watch for the form to come in...of course then there was the batch of DPS-3-C that DPS lost and sent out 100s of letters to people who had called in for authorization numbers who had actually sent them in.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Who cares, it's all on the seller, if they fail to mail in the DPS -3-C they will eventually get a letter from DPS telling them they must do so, you as the buyer would never even know about it. Once there is a call made for an authorization number they watch for the form to come in...of course then there was the batch of DPS-3-C that DPS lost and sent out 100s of letters to people who had called in for authorization numbers who had actually sent them in.

+1 .. only do the min the law requires dudes!

Keep the faith!