Thread: Virginia non resident ccw misinformation or fact?

Virginia non resident ccw misinformation or fact?

I just called the virginia state police to ask about reciprocity laws with the Virginia non resident ccw. I asked how it worked from being out of state. To my understanding I would be able to acquire the ccw permit and carry in ohio. He then proceeded to tell me that the non resident permit is for people from out of state to be able to carry legally in virginia state only. I was unaware of this? Why else would there be reciprocity laws if this were true. I don't know if the officer is just trying to give me misinfo so i don't acquire the ccw from virginia or what but I really want to know how I need to go about this. I want to get a virginia non resident because I travel into Pennsylvania alot and Ohio and PA don't honor each others license but they both supposedly honor virginias. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by phibbsey View Post
    I just called the virginia state police to ask about reciprocity laws with the Virginia non resident ccw. I asked how it worked from being out of state. To my understanding I would be able to acquire the ccw permit and carry in ohio. He then proceeded to tell me that the non resident permit is for people from out of state to be able to carry legally in virginia state only. I was unaware of this? Why else would there be reciprocity laws if this were true. I don't know if the officer is just trying to give me misinfo so i don't acquire the ccw from virginia or what but I really want to know how I need to go about this. I want to get a virginia non resident because I travel into Pennsylvania alot and Ohio and PA don't honor each others license but they both supposedly honor virginias. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    It sounds to me like the officer was answering only the part of the question that he knew, and that would be the part about Virginia law.

You would need to ask someone in Ohio if you are allowed to carry concealed there by using a Virginia non-resident CHP. How could a Virginia police officer know all the laws of all the other states?

(Remember, they aren't salespeople trying to sell a product, so they really don't care "what else" it might be good for.)

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 09-10-2012 at 04:08 PM.

I did contact the local sheriffs department and he told me I would have to contact the department who would issue the permit. He said he wasn't to clear on the reciprocity laws. Just seems to me that they are avoiding the question all together. What state department would I be able to contact to get clarity of the laws?

I did contact the local sheriffs department and he told me I would have to contact the department who would issue the permit. He said he wasn't to clear on the reciprocity laws. Just seems to me that they are avoiding the question all together. What state department would I be able to contact to get clarity of the laws?
    Do you mean the local sheriff in Ohio? If they don't know, it sounds like they need some edumacation... They are the ones on the side of the road who have to decide whether or not to give you a ticket.

I really don't know anything about Law Enforcement in Ohio. Ultimately, if you are carrying in Ohio, it's up to the folks in Ohio to tell you what documents you need, and specifically if a Virginia-issued permit will suffice.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Do you mean the local sheriff in Ohio? If they don't know, it sounds like they need some edumacation... They are the ones on the side of the road who have to decide whether or not to give you a ticket.

I really don't know anything about Law Enforcement in Ohio. Ultimately, if you are carrying in Ohio, it's up to the folks in Ohio to tell you what documents you need, and specifically if a Virginia-issued permit will suffice.

TFred
    Even though it's a CHP question
    He'd be better off asking on the Ohio forum.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I want to get a virginia non resident because I travel into Pennsylvania alot and Ohio and PA don't honor each others license but they both supposedly honor virginias. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    A Va. non res permit is valid in both Ohio and Pa....
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

According to USA Carry's Reciprocity Maps a Virginia Non Resident Permit is honored in

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

it is NOT honored in

Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington
    Last edited by scouser; 09-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Bookmark this site: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Use it as a quite guide but you should still verify what you see with the state laws in question
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Moderator / Administrator
    You can't expect law enforcement officers to provide you legal advice.

You are asking a Virginia police officer if a person who is not a resident of Virginia, but holds a concealed handgun permits issued in Virginia, can carry concealed in a state outside of Virginia.

Come on. It is not realistic that this Virginia law enforcement officer would know the correct answer to this question, let alone offer such advice to you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    Its better for a guy to be honest though ... I have had DAs tell me something that's not OK, was OK ... felony time!

Best to read the statues and do a little self-reliance

A VA non resident permit is recognized anywhere a VA resident permit is recognized except for SC,CO, MI,NH,ME and FL. They only recognize resident permits.

The only other exception AFAIK is Wisconsin. They DO NOT recognize VA resident permits while they do recognize VA NR permits. This has to do with VA's lack of a fingerprint and background checks similar to WI.requirement for residents

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...eciprocity.asp
    Last edited by swinokur; 09-13-2012 at 04:12 PM.