Thread: Any response from Safeway?

Any response from Safeway?

Regarding the interesting encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Regarding the interesting encounter?
    I will find out today if there is anything new.

FYI people -- thanks for getting my other thread locked. For the purposes of this thread, I would like any content to center on the facts of the encounter in question, their response, my response - and the responses of others in similar situations involving Safeway, and recommended actions. Acceptable?

Any response from Safeway?

Can you link to the other thread or give a brief synopsis of the encounter here?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Safeway Followup

So, I went back to the Safeway where the manager was leery of me OCing. I actually had a conversation with him and one of the mid-level supervisors. In the end he still seemed skittish about open carry, but with the knowledge that other managers are ok with it, Safeway's policy, and the OC pamphlet I gave him, he admitted that it is a learning process. He still may ask me to cover up (today I had a fleece jacket on that mostly covered my piece this time around), but I think the information I gave him will allow him to be "ok" with it despite his misgivings.

The mid-level supervisor however was very supportive and had a dozen questions or so for me .. which I happily obliged him.

Methinks a couple of people were edumacated today. We will see how it goes the next time I shop. (The manager certainly didn't want to lose me as a customer).

One other interesting tidbit .. the manager has said he has never seen anyone carry until I came along and the mid-level guy said I was the third person OCing just today. (Safeway on 4th Ave in Renton).

Thumbs up

glad to see you worked it out more or less, i work for a large coorporation, a manager must follow company policy weather he agrees with it ot not. one would assume, as was the case with a similar incident at a safeway here in the south end that turned out perfect after a brief check of the rules by the store manager, that once a manager was aware of the companies policy he is bound by it reguardless of his/her personal opinion.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Good work. You've made the lives of other OC'ers easier by taking the time to meet with the management there.

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    So, I went back to the Safeway where the manager was leery of me OCing. I actually had a conversation with him and one of the mid-level supervisors. In the end he still seemed skittish about open carry, but with the knowledge that other managers are ok with it, Safeway's policy, and the OC pamphlet I gave him, he admitted that it is a learning process. He still may ask me to cover up (today I had a fleece jacket on that mostly covered my piece this time around), but I think the information I gave him will allow him to be "ok" with it despite his misgivings.

The mid-level supervisor however was very supportive and had a dozen questions or so for me .. which I happily obliged him.

Methinks a couple of people were edumacated today. We will see how it goes the next time I shop. (The manager certainly didn't want to lose me as a customer).

One other interesting tidbit .. the manager has said he has never seen anyone carry until I came along and the mid-level guy said I was the third person OCing just today. (Safeway on 4th Ave in Renton).
    This^^^^^^^^^^ is how it is done, great job, now we have a somewhat neutral party to deal with rather than someone that is just POed at people that OC.

WELL DONE SIR.

I think a written thank you would be in order or something in the comment box. Praise is always welcome.

Great job!
    Last edited by carracer; 09-11-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: sp