• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any response from Safeway?

acmariner99

Regarding the interesting encounter?

I will find out today if there is anything new.

FYI people -- thanks for getting my other thread locked. For the purposes of this thread, I would like any content to center on the facts of the encounter in question, their response, my response - and the responses of others in similar situations involving Safeway, and recommended actions. Acceptable?

acmariner99

Safeway Followup

So, I went back to the Safeway where the manager was leery of me OCing. I actually had a conversation with him and one of the mid-level supervisors. In the end he still seemed skittish about open carry, but with the knowledge that other managers are ok with it, Safeway's policy, and the OC pamphlet I gave him, he admitted that it is a learning process. He still may ask me to cover up (today I had a fleece jacket on that mostly covered my piece this time around), but I think the information I gave him will allow him to be "ok" with it despite his misgivings.

The mid-level supervisor however was very supportive and had a dozen questions or so for me .. which I happily obliged him.

Methinks a couple of people were edumacated today. We will see how it goes the next time I shop. (The manager certainly didn't want to lose me as a customer).

One other interesting tidbit .. the manager has said he has never seen anyone carry until I came along and the mid-level guy said I was the third person OCing just today. (Safeway on 4th Ave in Renton).

Schlepnier

glad to see you worked it out more or less, i work for a large coorporation, a manager must follow company policy weather he agrees with it ot not. one would assume, as was the case with a similar incident at a safeway here in the south end that turned out perfect after a brief check of the rules by the store manager, that once a manager was aware of the companies policy he is bound by it reguardless of his/her personal opinion.

Cubex DE

Good work. You've made the lives of other OC'ers easier by taking the time to meet with the management there.

Jeff Hayes

So, I went back to the Safeway where the manager was leery of me OCing. I actually had a conversation with him and one of the mid-level supervisors. In the end he still seemed skittish about open carry, but with the knowledge that other managers are ok with it, Safeway's policy, and the OC pamphlet I gave him, he admitted that it is a learning process. He still may ask me to cover up (today I had a fleece jacket on that mostly covered my piece this time around), but I think the information I gave him will allow him to be "ok" with it despite his misgivings.

The mid-level supervisor however was very supportive and had a dozen questions or so for me .. which I happily obliged him.

Methinks a couple of people were edumacated today. We will see how it goes the next time I shop. (The manager certainly didn't want to lose me as a customer).

One other interesting tidbit .. the manager has said he has never seen anyone carry until I came along and the mid-level guy said I was the third person OCing just today. (Safeway on 4th Ave in Renton).

This^^^^^^^^^^ is how it is done, great job, now we have a somewhat neutral party to deal with rather than someone that is just POed at people that OC.

WELL DONE SIR.

carracer

I think a written thank you would be in order or something in the comment box. Praise is always welcome.

Great job!

Last edited: