• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teen shoots off his 'privates'

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
http://www.wtsp.com/news/watercoole...ccidentally-shoots-off-his-penis-and-testicle

Police say 18-year-old Michael Smeriglio first lied to police saying someone shot him while he was walking down the street. After being questioned by police he admitted to accidentally doing it himself.

Doctors say the bullet went through his penis, his left testicle and then lodged itself in his thigh.

will-smith-scream-o.gif

Grim_Night

He broke the first 2 cardinal rules reguarding handling a gun...

#1 rule of handling a gun... NEVER point it at anything you don't intend to SHOOT

#2 ALWAYS assume the gun is LOADED untill you have proven beyond a doubt that it ISN'T

If he had followed either of those 2 rules, he wouldn't have shot himself! But at least he was kind enough to add a little extra chlorine to the gene pool... :monkey

ldsgeek

When are these idiots going to realize that for someone to shoot them there they would have to be getting fairly intimate with them, not some random drive-by, and the police will never believe the story.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't buy the cleaning story. I bet this kid his daddy's glock in his waistband showing it off to his friends. From there - things went sounds...to include a bullet. HEY-YO'!

Freedom1Man

I think he misunderstood what a hunter meant, when he said that he shoots his own meat.

I don't think it will hard for him to try that again.

Oh, well he shot the left off and so will be only be right now.

Why the F do these idiots put a gun barrel against their penis like that? Why do they think it's cool to put it in their waist band like that?

EMNofSeattle

There is no until. Always.

Sure there is, otherwise I couldn't practice drills and functioning with dummy rounds, because in a residential neighborhood any direction is always dangerous. It is perfectly acceptable to relax the rule slightly one all ammo has been cleared and are using the neon orange dummy bullets.
IMHO

mwaterous

Sure there is, otherwise I couldn't practice drills and functioning with dummy rounds, because in a residential neighborhood any direction is always dangerous. It is perfectly acceptable to relax the rule slightly one all ammo has been cleared and are using the neon orange dummy bullets.
IMHO

I dry fire as well, but the rule goes hand in hand with never aim at something you aren't willing to destroy. Even dry firing you should still be aware of your backdrop, you should still be aiming at a target, you shouldn't be pointing your gun at another human... IMHO (with the obvious exceptions of tactical training exercises). It's just easier to make it a mechanical part of handling your firearm than risk complacency in any scenario. Dry firing at home could be practiced at angles where a misplaced shot couldn't travel in to a neighbors house. It may not be possible in an active shooter scenario, but that's no reason not to practice it.

Grim_Night

There is no until. Always.

There is an "Until"... if I have the weapon in my posession, I have followed rules 1 and 2 and removed the mag or whatever, cleared the chamber and varified that the weapon is indead unloaded then I am free to go about what I need to do such as cleaning or whatever... I have varified that the weapon is unloaded... I am the only person that has done such and I am the only one that can treat the weapon as if it is unloaded. As soon as I hand off that weapon to somebody else, That person should then follow rules 1 and 2 until they have cleared the weapon.

mwaterous

There is an "Until"... if I have the weapon in my posession, I have followed rules 1 and 2 and removed the mag or whatever, cleared the chamber and varified that the weapon is indead unloaded then I am free to go about what I need to do such as cleaning or whatever... I have varified that the weapon is unloaded... I am the only person that has done such and I am the only one that can treat the weapon as if it is unloaded. As soon as I hand off that weapon to somebody else, That person should then follow rules 1 and 2 until they have cleared the weapon.

I suppose I was referring to regular handling. There are people that assume because you have unloaded the firearm it's okay to play with it like an airsoft. I should reword but you pretty much outlined it perfectly above.

EMNofSeattle

I dry fire as well, but the rule goes hand in hand with never aim at something you aren't willing to destroy. Even dry firing you should still be aware of your backdrop, you should still be aiming at a target, you shouldn't be pointing your gun at another human... IMHO (with the obvious exceptions of tactical training exercises). It's just easier to make it a mechanical part of handling your firearm than risk complacency in any scenario. Dry firing at home could be practiced at angles where a misplaced shot couldn't travel in to a neighbors house. It may not be possible in an active shooter scenario, but that's no reason not to practice it.

Well obviously even dry firing you don't go around pointing it at people you know are there. i'm not running drills where I draw down on people's heads dummy rounds or not. I'm just saying running drills inside a house, it is acceptable to point the firearm at the walls and run dry fire drills with dummy rounds whereas running any kind of drill with live ammo is not acceptable except in a shooting area or range.

The "tactical exercises" I personally when doing stuff like training for house clearing and the like I use a cheap 20 dollar airsoft gun that resembles my father's glock for that practice, and an inoperable crosman that resembles my model 10 for practice like that. a live firearm is NEVER used for tactical exercises at my house at least, I suppose I've never done the type of group training where muzzlesweeping your buddy is likely to happen though.

*I should clarify, real pistol is used for training for sight picture, practicing quick reloads, clearing stovepipes etc in a stationary way. drills involving moving through the house and checking rooms with drawn weapon are ran using toys and or props I own, that are CLEARLY marked as toys or props.

Last edited:

mwaterous

Well obviously even dry firing you don't go around pointing it at people you know are there. i'm not running drills where I draw down on people's heads dummy rounds or not. I'm just saying running drills inside a house, it is acceptable to point the firearm at the walls and run dry fire drills with dummy rounds whereas running any kind of drill with live ammo is not acceptable except in a shooting area or range.

I wasn't trying to suggest anyone on this forum was practicing bad habits. The intent was more for future gun owners visiting the site for the first time, reading threads long past... it's just better to always treat a firearm as if it is loaded (with some exceptions....). Jeff Cooper's rules don't include an "until" (with one exception...), neither should ours (with some exceptions....).

I was trying to practice brevity.