Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Now THIS is a good citizen

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Now THIS is a good citizen

    Brian Bates AKA The Video Vigilante has been filming organized prostitution for over a decade. He sheds light on the realities of what it entails. Additionally, he does his part as a law-abiding citizen, and intervenes with criminal activity. In the video below, he intercepts a hostile pimp, getting aggressive with a prostitute. If more citizens were this proactive, crime would drop.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Rg6mFDN6o&feature=plcp

  2. #2
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    If I had seen that going on as I was traveling by I might have stopped.

    This action was little bit on the line.

    Mind you I am not disagreeing with citizens taking corrective measures on their own might really get crime drop. I just have mixed feelings about this man putting himself into this situation. I agree that pimps should never beat anyone and that they take too big of cut from the pay.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  3. #3
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    The outlawing of the world oldest occupation causes more problems than if it was simply a transaction between two consenting adults.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    He makes it clear that he doesn't take a stance on unorganized, consensual prostitution that goes on behind closed doors. It's the forced, organized prostitution and trafficking that he stands out against.

  5. #5
    Regular Member MamaLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    He makes it clear that he doesn't take a stance on unorganized, consensual prostitution that goes on behind closed doors. It's the forced, organized prostitution and trafficking that he stands out against.
    What makes any of it his business either way? He can offer to intervene in ANY case of physical assault against another person. Why just prostitutes?

    It is the busybody, "for your own good" crowd that ultimately allows the state to control everything in our lives.

    If he really wants to help prostitutes, or anyone else, he might see what he could do about empowering them to defend themselves.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

    Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    I don't know about you, but when someone is having forced used upon them, in an non consensual manner, then it is *my* business. His mission is to shed light on the realities of organized street prostitution.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    What makes any of it his business either way? He can offer to intervene in ANY case of physical assault against another person. Why just prostitutes?
    Because people can't be superheroes. You can't tell a person that if they can't help everybody they shouldn't help anybody; that line of thought leads to the greatest evil, all of the good people who do nothing.

  8. #8
    Regular Member MamaLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by mwaterous View Post
    Because people can't be superheroes. You can't tell a person that if they can't help everybody they shouldn't help anybody; that line of thought leads to the greatest evil, all of the good people who do nothing.
    No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

    Let me tell you a true story. I walked out of a store one day and found a man hitting a woman in the face. She was shoved up against the side of the car next to me and he was blocking my door. I yelled at him to stop. He turned and obviously saw that I was armed, so ran around and got into the driver's seat. I asked the woman if she needed me to call for some help for her... and she screamed at me to leave her alone and mind my own business!! Then she climbed into the passenger seat with the attacker and they roared away.

    OK then... and I took some really deep breaths as I drove home.

    You don't KNOW what's going on all the time. You don't know who the people are or what they really want. You can so easily put yourself into a seriously bad position, just trying to help. If that man had come at me, and if I had shot him... I suspect the woman would NOT have been a friendly witness.

    But back to the original problem. I would still intervene (carefully) if someone was being attacked... and I might well make a mistake. But I can't imagine limiting that to prostitutes. How the heck does he know who they are or what they want?

    This "good citizen" can take all the chances in the world if it suits him. I just happen to think he's a "do gooder" who is more apt to be part of the problem rather than the solution. His call... and his problem, obviously.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

    Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    He doesn't limit what he does to just prostitutes. JohnTV (his business) emphasizes on prostitution, but his actions aren't just limited to prostitution.

  10. #10
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Why is it so hard to see that legalizing prostitution, requiring the practitioners to stay in certain areas, and requiring frequent health checks, plus providing hefty fines and jail time for pimps, is a better solution than just outlawing prostitution. As long as there are men and women in this world, there is going to be men who are willing to pay for sex and there are going to be women who are willing to sell it to them.

    Did we not learn from Prohibition that legislating morality does not work? Outlawing alcohol or prostitution only drives it underground and sets the stage for some unfortunates to be victimized. Plus, it was proven in Prohibition that what you outlaw, you lose control of. What you make legal, you can control, license, and tax.

    Would I want to see my wife or my daughters doing this? No, and I doubt any other man does. But, if a woman is going to do this, I would rather it be her choice and that she be protected, instead of harassed, and be the prime beneficiary of her labors.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  11. #11
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

    Let me tell you a true story. I walked out of a store one day and found a man hitting a woman in the face. She was shoved up against the side of the car next to me and he was blocking my door. I yelled at him to stop. He turned and obviously saw that I was armed, so ran around and got into the driver's seat. I asked the woman if she needed me to call for some help for her... and she screamed at me to leave her alone and mind my own business!! Then she climbed into the passenger seat with the attacker and they roared away.

    OK then... and I took some really deep breaths as I drove home.

    You don't KNOW what's going on all the time. You don't know who the people are or what they really want. You can so easily put yourself into a seriously bad position, just trying to help. If that man had come at me, and if I had shot him... I suspect the woman would NOT have been a friendly witness.

    But back to the original problem. I would still intervene (carefully) if someone was being attacked... and I might well make a mistake. But I can't imagine limiting that to prostitutes. How the heck does he know who they are or what they want?

    This "good citizen" can take all the chances in the world if it suits him. I just happen to think he's a "do gooder" who is more apt to be part of the problem rather than the solution. His call... and his problem, obviously.

    Thank you for putting my thoughts in to much better words than I was able to.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Why is it so hard to see that legalizing prostitution, requiring the practitioners to stay in certain areas, and requiring frequent health checks, plus providing hefty fines and jail time for pimps, is a better solution than just outlawing prostitution. As long as there are men and women in this world, there is going to be men who are willing to pay for sex and there are going to be women who are willing to sell it to them.

    Did we not learn from Prohibition that legislating morality does not work? Outlawing alcohol or prostitution only drives it underground and sets the stage for some unfortunates to be victimized. Plus, it was proven in Prohibition that what you outlaw, you lose control of. What you make legal, you can control, license, and tax.

    Would I want to see my wife or my daughters doing this? No, and I doubt any other man does. But, if a woman is going to do this, I would rather it be her choice and that she be protected, instead of harassed, and be the prime beneficiary of her labors.
    America has lost it's common law liberty oriented origin in a sea of positivism and social structuring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    I don't know about you, but when someone is having forced used upon them, in an non consensual manner, then it is *my* business. His mission is to shed light on the realities of organized street prostitution.
    Force? Really and he proves this how? Adults can just walk away , I say the state forces many women to have pimps to protect prostitutes because the law won't. Make it legal and many of the unpleasant aspects of it simply disappear.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 09-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  13. #13
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    From what I saw of his videos he appears to be incident report waiting to happen. He is going to open the door on the wrong person, and be in a whole shittload of OOOOPS.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 09-11-2012 at 11:31 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member J1MB0B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    239
    The sad thing is that the pimp is just going to take it out on her later when this guy isn't there to protect her. It will probably be worse for her than if he didn't intervene. That being said, I don't thin he was wrong in getting involved. I think more people should get involved when they see stuff like that going down.

  15. #15
    Regular Member MamaLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Why is it so hard to see that legalizing prostitution, requiring the practitioners to stay in certain areas, and requiring frequent health checks, plus providing hefty fines and jail time for pimps, is a better solution than just outlawing prostitution.
    Why is it so hard for people to see that all of this is nobody's business but the people involved?

    Whatever excuse you use to approve of government control of this business can be (and is being) used to control YOUR private life and business as well. The SAME arguments are used for government control of drugs, medicine, and GUNS, along with everything else.

    Rather than this false idea of "legalization," which just sets up different levels of prohibition and extortion, how about complete decriminalization? Let's decriminalize life and take personal responsibility for our own actions and choices, leaving everyone else alone to do the same.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

    Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Those who are worried about what "might happen" cuz "you don't know the back story", get a license plate, pass along a description of the incident and those involved, hand over a copy of any video of the incident to the cops.....be a good witness. If the cops think a crime was committed they will do their job.

    If the "victim" does not pursue charges, if a crime was committed, that's on them not you.

    I like the taser in the face thing though.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    From what I saw of his videos he appears to be incident report waiting to happen. He is going to open the door on the wrong person, and be in a whole shittload of OOOOPS.
    He's been doing it since the mid 90's, and has had so much success, that the police even enlist his help to track down criminals. He's encountered people with weapons. He has always said that he doesn't live his life in fear of what people 'might' do to him. He even assisted in the take down of some of the town's biggest traffickers, and has had threats made on his life.
    Last edited by Aaron1124; 09-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member okiebryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Brian Bates AKA The Video Vigilante has been filming organized prostitution for over a decade. He sheds light on the realities of what it entails. Additionally, he does his part as a law-abiding citizen, and intervenes with criminal activity. In the video below, he intercepts a hostile pimp, getting aggressive with a prostitute. If more citizens were this proactive, crime would drop.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Rg6mFDN6o&feature=plcp

    This guy is in my city. All the cops I know and many others think he is OKC's biggest d-bag. His supreme nitwittery makes a lot of people want to kick his ass.
    Last edited by okiebryan; 10-05-2012 at 04:25 AM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member okiebryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    He's been doing it since the mid 90's, and has had so much success, that the police even enlist his help to track down criminals. He's encountered people with weapons. He has always said that he doesn't live his life in fear of what people 'might' do to him. He even assisted in the take down of some of the town's biggest traffickers, and has had threats made on his life.
    Where did you hear this? Please do share... I'm local, and my information is very different.

  20. #20
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    This guy is in my city. All the cops I know and many others think he is OKC's biggest d-bag. His supreme nitwittery makes a lot of people want to kick his ass.
    Interesting. I imagine MLK experienced similar sentiments.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    The outlawing of the world oldest occupation causes more problems than if it was simply a transaction between two consenting adults.
    +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •