• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now THIS is a good citizen

Aaron1124

Brian Bates AKA The Video Vigilante has been filming organized prostitution for over a decade. He sheds light on the realities of what it entails. Additionally, he does his part as a law-abiding citizen, and intervenes with criminal activity. In the video below, he intercepts a hostile pimp, getting aggressive with a prostitute. If more citizens were this proactive, crime would drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Rg6mFDN6o&feature=plcp

Freedom1Man

If I had seen that going on as I was traveling by I might have stopped.

This action was little bit on the line.

Mind you I am not disagreeing with citizens taking corrective measures on their own might really get crime drop. I just have mixed feelings about this man putting himself into this situation. I agree that pimps should never beat anyone and that they take too big of cut from the pay.

Aaron1124

He makes it clear that he doesn't take a stance on unorganized, consensual prostitution that goes on behind closed doors. It's the forced, organized prostitution and trafficking that he stands out against.

MamaLiberty

He makes it clear that he doesn't take a stance on unorganized, consensual prostitution that goes on behind closed doors. It's the forced, organized prostitution and trafficking that he stands out against.

What makes any of it his business either way? He can offer to intervene in ANY case of physical assault against another person. Why just prostitutes?

It is the busybody, "for your own good" crowd that ultimately allows the state to control everything in our lives.

If he really wants to help prostitutes, or anyone else, he might see what he could do about empowering them to defend themselves.

Aaron1124

I don't know about you, but when someone is having forced used upon them, in an non consensual manner, then it is *my* business. His mission is to shed light on the realities of organized street prostitution.

mwaterous

What makes any of it his business either way? He can offer to intervene in ANY case of physical assault against another person. Why just prostitutes?

Because people can't be superheroes. You can't tell a person that if they can't help everybody they shouldn't help anybody; that line of thought leads to the greatest evil, all of the good people who do nothing.

MamaLiberty

Because people can't be superheroes. You can't tell a person that if they can't help everybody they shouldn't help anybody; that line of thought leads to the greatest evil, all of the good people who do nothing.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Let me tell you a true story. I walked out of a store one day and found a man hitting a woman in the face. She was shoved up against the side of the car next to me and he was blocking my door. I yelled at him to stop. He turned and obviously saw that I was armed, so ran around and got into the driver's seat. I asked the woman if she needed me to call for some help for her... and she screamed at me to leave her alone and mind my own business!! Then she climbed into the passenger seat with the attacker and they roared away.

OK then... and I took some really deep breaths as I drove home.

You don't KNOW what's going on all the time. You don't know who the people are or what they really want. You can so easily put yourself into a seriously bad position, just trying to help. If that man had come at me, and if I had shot him... I suspect the woman would NOT have been a friendly witness.

But back to the original problem. I would still intervene (carefully) if someone was being attacked... and I might well make a mistake. But I can't imagine limiting that to prostitutes. How the heck does he know who they are or what they want?

This "good citizen" can take all the chances in the world if it suits him. I just happen to think he's a "do gooder" who is more apt to be part of the problem rather than the solution. His call... and his problem, obviously.

Aaron1124

He doesn't limit what he does to just prostitutes. JohnTV (his business) emphasizes on prostitution, but his actions aren't just limited to prostitution.

SFCRetired

Why is it so hard to see that legalizing prostitution, requiring the practitioners to stay in certain areas, and requiring frequent health checks, plus providing hefty fines and jail time for pimps, is a better solution than just outlawing prostitution. As long as there are men and women in this world, there is going to be men who are willing to pay for sex and there are going to be women who are willing to sell it to them.

Did we not learn from Prohibition that legislating morality does not work? Outlawing alcohol or prostitution only drives it underground and sets the stage for some unfortunates to be victimized. Plus, it was proven in Prohibition that what you outlaw, you lose control of. What you make legal, you can control, license, and tax.

Would I want to see my wife or my daughters doing this? No, and I doubt any other man does. But, if a woman is going to do this, I would rather it be her choice and that she be protected, instead of harassed, and be the prime beneficiary of her labors.

Freedom1Man

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Let me tell you a true story. I walked out of a store one day and found a man hitting a woman in the face. She was shoved up against the side of the car next to me and he was blocking my door. I yelled at him to stop. He turned and obviously saw that I was armed, so ran around and got into the driver's seat. I asked the woman if she needed me to call for some help for her... and she screamed at me to leave her alone and mind my own business!! Then she climbed into the passenger seat with the attacker and they roared away.

OK then... and I took some really deep breaths as I drove home.

You don't KNOW what's going on all the time. You don't know who the people are or what they really want. You can so easily put yourself into a seriously bad position, just trying to help. If that man had come at me, and if I had shot him... I suspect the woman would NOT have been a friendly witness.

But back to the original problem. I would still intervene (carefully) if someone was being attacked... and I might well make a mistake. But I can't imagine limiting that to prostitutes. How the heck does he know who they are or what they want?

This "good citizen" can take all the chances in the world if it suits him. I just happen to think he's a "do gooder" who is more apt to be part of the problem rather than the solution. His call... and his problem, obviously.

Thank you for putting my thoughts in to much better words than I was able to.

sudden valley gunner

Why is it so hard to see that legalizing prostitution, requiring the practitioners to stay in certain areas, and requiring frequent health checks, plus providing hefty fines and jail time for pimps, is a better solution than just outlawing prostitution. As long as there are men and women in this world, there is going to be men who are willing to pay for sex and there are going to be women who are willing to sell it to them.

Did we not learn from Prohibition that legislating morality does not work? Outlawing alcohol or prostitution only drives it underground and sets the stage for some unfortunates to be victimized. Plus, it was proven in Prohibition that what you outlaw, you lose control of. What you make legal, you can control, license, and tax.

Would I want to see my wife or my daughters doing this? No, and I doubt any other man does. But, if a woman is going to do this, I would rather it be her choice and that she be protected, instead of harassed, and be the prime beneficiary of her labors.

America has lost it's common law liberty oriented origin in a sea of positivism and social structuring.

I don't know about you, but when someone is having forced used upon them, in an non consensual manner, then it is *my* business. His mission is to shed light on the realities of organized street prostitution.

Force? Really and he proves this how? Adults can just walk away , I say the state forces many women to have pimps to protect prostitutes because the law won't. Make it legal and many of the unpleasant aspects of it simply disappear.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

From what I saw of his videos he appears to be incident report waiting to happen. He is going to open the door on the wrong person, and be in a whole shittload of OOOOPS.

Last edited:

J1MB0B

The sad thing is that the pimp is just going to take it out on her later when this guy isn't there to protect her. It will probably be worse for her than if he didn't intervene. That being said, I don't thin he was wrong in getting involved. I think more people should get involved when they see stuff like that going down.

MamaLiberty

Why is it so hard to see that legalizing prostitution, requiring the practitioners to stay in certain areas, and requiring frequent health checks, plus providing hefty fines and jail time for pimps, is a better solution than just outlawing prostitution.

Why is it so hard for people to see that all of this is nobody's business but the people involved?

Whatever excuse you use to approve of government control of this business can be (and is being) used to control YOUR private life and business as well. The SAME arguments are used for government control of drugs, medicine, and GUNS, along with everything else.

Rather than this false idea of "legalization," which just sets up different levels of prohibition and extortion, how about complete decriminalization? Let's decriminalize life and take personal responsibility for our own actions and choices, leaving everyone else alone to do the same.

OC for ME

Those who are worried about what "might happen" cuz "you don't know the back story", get a license plate, pass along a description of the incident and those involved, hand over a copy of any video of the incident to the cops.....be a good witness. If the cops think a crime was committed they will do their job.

If the "victim" does not pursue charges, if a crime was committed, that's on them not you.

I like the taser in the face thing though.

Aaron1124

From what I saw of his videos he appears to be incident report waiting to happen. He is going to open the door on the wrong person, and be in a whole shittload of OOOOPS.

He's been doing it since the mid 90's, and has had so much success, that the police even enlist his help to track down criminals. He's encountered people with weapons. He has always said that he doesn't live his life in fear of what people 'might' do to him. He even assisted in the take down of some of the town's biggest traffickers, and has had threats made on his life.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Brian Bates AKA The Video Vigilante has been filming organized prostitution for over a decade. He sheds light on the realities of what it entails. Additionally, he does his part as a law-abiding citizen, and intervenes with criminal activity. In the video below, he intercepts a hostile pimp, getting aggressive with a prostitute. If more citizens were this proactive, crime would drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Rg6mFDN6o&feature=plcp

This guy is in my city. All the cops I know and many others think he is OKC's biggest d-bag. His supreme nitwittery makes a lot of people want to kick his ass.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
He's been doing it since the mid 90's, and has had so much success, that the police even enlist his help to track down criminals. He's encountered people with weapons. He has always said that he doesn't live his life in fear of what people 'might' do to him. He even assisted in the take down of some of the town's biggest traffickers, and has had threats made on his life.

Where did you hear this? Please do share... I'm local, and my information is very different.