• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

parking garage mugging scenario

EMNofSeattle

BOSTON, police are investigating a parking garage shootout that occured late a few nights ago. Prominent Boston Attorney Denny Crane of the downtown law firm Crane, Poole, and Schmidt was returning to his car along with fellow attorney Jerry Espenson, when he claims a teenager pulled a gun and demanded his watch and wallet. Now recovered security footage from the garage shows the encounter. Boston police and investigating to determine if Mr. Crane's actions meet the criteria for self defense. Detective Rizzoli of the BPD has no comment on the shooting at this time

OK so I made that all up based on this scene from the TV show Boston Legal. Assuming this were to occur in real life, is Denny Crane justified in his actions? on one hand the mugger was armed, however mr crane had surrendered his property, and his shooting to inflict pain on the mugger indicates he may not have believed his life was in danger.... your thoughts?

[video=youtube;_KvO-8IvoCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KvO-8IvoCI[/video]

Freedom1Man

Should have fired center mass.

I understand the cool calm collected stance he took though. Really, you've got a gun pointed at you close range, getting 'excited' is not going to help anything, handing over wallet, and watch is a distraction tool that you're using to defend yourself. Once someone has a gun pointed at you doing what they tell you to is no guarantee of your safety.

EMNofSeattle

Should have fired center mass.

I understand the cool calm collected stance he took though. Really, you've got a gun pointed at you close range, getting 'excited' is not going to help anything, handing over wallet, and watch is a distraction tool that you're using to defend yourself. Once someone has a gun pointed at you doing what they tell you to is no guarantee of your safety.

I would tend to agree, I mean plenty of armed robbers have shot their victims even after perfect compliance.

That's what drives me nuts over a safety video i had to watch about how to handle armed robberies they "say, never use a weapon or fight back against the attacker, give him what he wants" well some robbers will kill you anyway, as it turns out, predatory felons don't like people who can pick them out of a police line up....

I mean, obviously Will Shatner plays Denny Crane pretty well, I mean Crane is meant to be the stereotypical republican in the show, and he has all sorts of wierd mannerisms, so kneecapping and shooting his feet is just part of that character, certainly in real life I'd be looking at stopping the threat, not trying some cowboy crap in a dark garage. still If this really happened i'd say justified.