• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fond du Lac city & county LEO seem OK with OC & LAC

MKEgal

This time I was not the primary object of their attention. :banana:
I was driving back from the range when the van ahead of me displayed about 15 miles' worth of aggressive & potentially impaired driving. So I called 911.
(Extreme tailgating - 1/2 car length @ 55mph - & weaving from the center line to the gravel, over & over & over, very regular & deliberate. She tried to tell the cops that she was trying to pass... I'm not believing it 'cause she could see the cars stacked up ahead of her & she could see oncoming traffic. She was driving a van!)

Just as I was turning onto the ramp getting on 45S, a squad came flying up behind/around me & pulled the van over at the bottom of the ramp. I stopped 100yd or so back, as the dispatcher said to do.

Another officer stopped behind me, with a deputy behind him. They came up & talked to me, asked for my info, & in providing it I mentioned "not that it really matters, but I am armed".
(The deputy - on the passenger side - had already figured that out. Helps to actually look...)

The officer might also have seen my carry license, since it's with my driver's license. :rolleyes:
Absolutely no reaction that I could see, from either one.
I explained what I'd seen, then those 2 went up to join the 2 already at the van.

The 4 officers had a Chat [TM] with the driver (female, professional delivery driver for a map company) & told her in no uncertain terms that she'd better clean up her act. Apparently by the time they were through she was quite clear on the concept of continued bad acts = possible loss of job. She didn't get a ticket, so I don't have to mess with going back up there to testify.

LOL... they asked if I wanted to talk to her, & I said I'm pretty sure they'd already covered everything I'd want to say, which amounted to "stop driving like an idiot".

Last edited:
M

McX

MKE, glad to hear your little yellow mutt-putt didnt get squishified by the errant driver. now you see why i drive the big iron, they verses me, i win, they crumple. dangerous planet out there, fraught with peril. also happy to hear you didnt make the cover of Time magazine again, by going armed to the terror of the (ignorant) public(?) there, as it were. as for the non-reactant encounter you had; it was clearly a case of totality of circumstances, elementary my dear Watson. and where do we learn such things?: Elementary School ofcourse.

TyGuy

The officer on the passenger side saw your openly concealed firearm? JK

I have called on probably 6 drunk drivers in my life so far. IDK if it is the hours I keep or what, but it seems to happen to me often. One time it was a priest coming home from hospice care that was just falling asleep at the wheel. One time I watched the guy crash into the median. Another time I watched the driver crash into a tree and then stumble off into a residential area (luckily the police were there by then so they found him). I don't have a cop complex, but when you see someone swerving back and forth and almost hitting others I feel that you need to get them off of the road before they hurt themselves or others. Call 911, maintain a safe distance to follow them, and hope for the best.

protias

Reckless drivers should get ticketed! But if you happen to drive 10 over the PSL and no one is around, that is a ticketed able offense... :banghead:

M

McX

Reckless drivers should get ticketed! But if you happen to drive 10 over the PSL and no one is around, that is a ticketed able offense... :banghead:

driving a Mustang with a V6 i believe is a ticketable offense for being severely underpowered. you are fined 10 cheeseburgers.

M

McX

i do appologise to you Protias; i forgot to take into consideration all the wind drag on your machine from the bristling antennas (antenni?), the load of the alternator on the engine to power every electronic gadget known to man crammed in that car, and by far, the weight of all those guns and ammo in the machine. you still owe me 10 cheeseburgers though.

protias

i do appologise to you Protias; i forgot to take into consideration all the wind drag on your machine from the bristling antennas (antenni?), the load of the alternator on the engine to power every electronic gadget known to man crammed in that car, and by far, the weight of all those guns and ammo in the machine. you still owe me 10 cheeseburgers though.

If you go to Lizzy's on Friday, I'll buy you a cheeseburger.

MKEgal

TyGuy said:
The officer on the passenger side saw your openly concealed firearm? JK
Yep. This one wasn't standing behind the passenger seat... he actually looked in the front window at me.
Then when he wanted to hear what I'd seen he stood at the window.
Then when the 2 of them came back to tell me what they'd found / decided, they both stood at the window.
Seemed about as worried as they should have been, which is not at all.

I have called on probably 6 drunk drivers in my life so far.
I've called in a few.
I think my favorite was a car on the interstate somewhere in Indiana, on 30DEC, as Karl & I were on our way to Dayton, OH for a new year's party. Of course we were using the sidecar.
At the time, it was Karl's turn to drive, so I got to be relatively warm in the sidecar.

We had helmet intercom, so Karl was telling me how this car flew up behind him, then tailgated (even with us changing speed to try to encourage him to pass), followed when we changed lanes, etc. Once Karl changed lanes & braked (so the guy flew past us) I could see the car do the same thing to the car ahead of us, as well as swerving all to Hades & back.

We decided I should call it in, & somewhere in the conversation the dispatcher told me to put on our hazard lights so the officer could know which car to target. That motorcycle didn't have any, & I told her that. I wish I could have seen her face. :D
"You're calling from a motorcycle???"
"Yes, ma'am, with a sidecar. I'm in the sidecar."
Apparently the officer had no trouble spotting us. :rolleyes: He followed the car for maybe 2 miles, then pulled him over.

Here in Milwaukee one night I called in what looked like a drunk motorcycle rider. Even stopped at a red light he couldn't manage to hold the bike upright, kept weaving in place. Wove in the lane when he was riding. Even more stupid & dangerous (at least to the rider) than drunk driving.

Last edited:

Mixael

I can't believe that I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the trunk monkey!

(And that video about the recall is FUNNYY!!)

[That is all...carry on :) ]

-Michael