• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just to confirm Open Carry is Legal

JediSkipdogg

Um, state signs, if lawful, say no concealed guns. Otherwise the signs are unlawful.

Actually, nope...

2923.1212 Signage prohibiting concealed handguns.

(A) The following persons, boards, and entities, or designees, shall post in the following locations a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form: “Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person’s control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises.” :

Where does it say concealed in there? So adding concealed (which would follow the law) would then make the state entity posting that sign not properly following that section of the ORC. State entities can only do what the ORC tells them to do. The ORC says to post no weapons (open or concealed) however has no punishment section for the concealed.

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

If city hall has a courtroom (Mayor's Court) I believe it's off-limits, open or concealed.

Correct...

2923.123 Illegal conveyance of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into courthouse - illegal possession or control in courthouse.

(A) No person shall knowingly convey or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a courthouse or into another building or structure in which a courtroom is located.

(B) No person shall knowingly possess or have under the person’s control a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a courthouse or in another building or structure in which a courtroom is located.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Actually, nope...

2923.1212 Signage prohibiting concealed handguns.

(A) The following persons, boards, and entities, or designees, shall post in the following locations a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form: “Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person’s control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises.” :

Where does it say concealed in there? So adding concealed (which would follow the law) would then make the state entity posting that sign not properly following that section of the ORC. State entities can only do what the ORC tells them to do. The ORC says to post no weapons (open or concealed) however has no punishment section for the concealed.
You mean for the "open"?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...No punishment section for Open carry in any of those listed places (besides courthouses and schools which have their own section to prohibit.)
And no prohibition of open carry in the code, unless you count the stipulated sign wording. (I know you know that, but new readers may not)

Werz

Quote Originally Posted by JediSkipdogg
...No punishment section for Open carry in any of those listed places (besides courthouses and schools which have their own section to prohibit.)
And no prohibition of open carry in the code, unless you count the stipulated sign wording. (I know you know that, but new readers may not)
This issue worries me, though. It could be the proverbial "third rail." There will always be a lot of hoplophobia and fear of armed citizens amongst government officials from both parties. I'm not sure that a majority will favor firearms in public buildings, particularly when disgruntled citizens tend to come in yelling and making angry complaints rather frequently. That is not something limited to the courts, where there's already security personnel, anyway.

My concern is that, if this issue comes to a boiling point, the General Assembly will clarify the law, and it won't be in our favor.

JmE

This issue worries me, though. It could be the proverbial "third rail." There will always be a lot of hoplophobia and fear of armed citizens amongst government officials from both parties. I'm not sure that a majority will favor firearms in public buildings, particularly when disgruntled citizens tend to come in yelling and making angry complaints rather frequently. That is not something limited to the courts, where there's already security personnel, anyway.

My concern is that, if this issue comes to a boiling point, the General Assembly will clarify the law, and it won't be in our favor.
We share the same concerns. :(

Last edited:

JmE

If I won there would be very few gun laws left. I'd either buy all the politicians or have lots of fun continually being arrested. :eek:
That's activism gold right there, I tell ya! <big grin>

Trying not to be the pessimist but sometimes it feels like the odds of the lottery might be better than eradicating some of the most stubborn of gun laws. Then I figure, what else is there to do? If we don't fight it, things will only get worse. So, we keep swinging!

MKEgal

djproductions said:
I have been searching all over the place to see if Open Carry is legal.
Some places say no, some places say yes.
What the hell is the right answer?
The way our laws work,
if there's no law prohibiting something, that something is legal.
Have you found an ORC that says open carry is illegal?

BB62 said:
As you well know, the chances for a successful 1983 suit are unbelievably low.
Well, then I've beaten the odds a few times now.
Either I'm incredibly (un?)lucky, in that the police really have committed crimes against me & they can be proved,
or I'm incredibly lucky, in that I have an amazingly good lawyer.
Or both. :rolleyes:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...My concern is that, if this issue comes to a boiling point, the General Assembly will clarify the law, and it won't be in our favor.
I agree, and that's why I'm not eager to test the issue, even though some continually point out loudly "IT'S LEGAL!!"

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Well, then I've beaten the odds a few times now.
Either I'm incredibly (un?)lucky, in that the police really have committed crimes against me & they can be proved,
or I'm incredibly lucky, in that I have an amazingly good lawyer.
Or both. :rolleyes:
Do tell!