Thread: Comments to support removal of regulation against EMS carrying weapons

Comments to support removal of regulation against EMS carrying weapons

*LINKS FIXED*

The long awaited Final Stage of implementing new EMS Regulations in VA is at hand!

Ever since PVC called the State Office of EMS about this, they have stated that they "do not enforce" this section of the Regulations. Now is when it officially gets erased from the Virginia Administrative Code.

The new 12VAC5-31-700 removes this silly item:

6. Possession of a firearm, weapon, or explosive or incendiary device on any EMS vehicle is prohibited, except:
    a. A sworn law-enforcement officer authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

b. Any rescue line gun or other rescue device powered by an explosive charge carried on a nontransport response vehicle.
    The actual regulation can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/8lbtdqd

The place to go, to make comments in support of this move (even if you're not in EMS, or live out of state), is:

http://tinyurl.com/8v4pue9

Click on "Enter a comment" to get started.

Thanks for helping what should be a "done deal!"
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 09-12-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: fixed links
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    About time. It's amazing how the powers that be drag their feet.

Peter Nap,

The Governor had previously stated that he would not advance any new state regulations unless there was a life safety issue.

Good: Prevent advancing mostly useless government control over our lives.

Bad: EMS constantly evolving at the national level with VA about to get left behind. National Registry of EMTs completely revamped standards, certification levels and nomenclature. VA relies on NREMT to provide standard curriculum and testing.

Glad to see it come to pass, although as usual I find a few odd items in the mix.

The problem is the repealing of the weapons band does not force the individual agencies to allow it. The individual agencies can still forbid it I have a huge issue with that. Doesn't anyone else??
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The problem is the repealing of the weapons band does not force the individual agencies to allow it. The individual agencies can still forbid it I have a huge issue with that. Doesn't anyone else??
    We all do, but it takes one step at a time.

Agency preemption has long been near the top of the list of things to fix.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Read http://ambulancedriverfiles.com/2012...ight-to-carry/

Kelly is big in the EMS field, as well as being a huge 2A/RKBA supporter and advocate. There's a lot of good commentary from EMS types there addressing this issue/question you raise.

While he's never gotten a toll free phone number and offered to make psychic predictions, I think I'd listen to the one he makes here.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Hospitals as part of their certification process must comply with the Joint Commission rules. Those rules prohibit the carrying of firearms. So what does the crew do with their firearms then? I don't see the hospitals adding lock boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Hospitals as part of their certification process must comply with the Joint Commission rules. Those rules prohibit the carrying of firearms. So what does the crew do with their firearms then? I don't see the hospitals adding lock boxes.
    Given this point and the fact that every local body can make their own rules anyway, this is probably one of the most pointless changes we've seen come along in quite some time.

Not to say it's not worth changing
    , it's just not going to accomplish anything tangible at this point.

TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    As someone who "rode the bus" for 6 years as an EMT-A in NJ, I'm all for it. I left my comment.

Funny related story....

I was also a volunteer firefighter/heavy rescue guy for 8 years. When I was first on the job in NJ, I worked night shift and would routinely be the only fire officer (Lieutenant) around during the day. One time, my pager went off for a fire alarm. I responded in with the engine, and later when I took my coat off, the Fire Chief (who was from a rival company) saw my Sig P239 tucked into my bunker pants. He tried to tell me that I couldn't carry my gun in a "fire scene". I told him that as a sworn officer, I could tote my pistol wherever the hell I damn well pleased, and he could call the Attorney General if he wanted to complain. Every cop carried their gun...everywhere. We had a college in town that was pretty rough. When we had calls there, we would station a rookie with the engine, and with an axe in his hands to keep the stuff from being stolen off the truck.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Given this point and the fact that every local body can make their own rules anyway, this is probably one of the most pointless changes we've seen come along in quite some time.

Not to say it's not worth changing
    , it's just not going to accomplish anything tangible at this point.

TFred
    This! If nothing else it is one small step closer to state agency preemption. For that we should support it.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Cite and quote please, so that we may read it in context.