• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comments to support removal of regulation against EMS carrying weapons

paramedic70002

*LINKS FIXED*

The long awaited Final Stage of implementing new EMS Regulations in VA is at hand!

Ever since PVC called the State Office of EMS about this, they have stated that they "do not enforce" this section of the Regulations. Now is when it officially gets erased from the Virginia Administrative Code.

The new 12VAC5-31-700 removes this silly item:

6. Possession of a firearm, weapon, or explosive or incendiary device on any EMS vehicle is prohibited, except:
a. A sworn law-enforcement officer authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

b. Any rescue line gun or other rescue device powered by an explosive charge carried on a nontransport response vehicle.

The actual regulation can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/8lbtdqd

The place to go, to make comments in support of this move (even if you're not in EMS, or live out of state), is:

http://tinyurl.com/8v4pue9

Click on "Enter a comment" to get started.

Thanks for helping what should be a "done deal!"

Last edited:

paramedic70002

Peter Nap,

The Governor had previously stated that he would not advance any new state regulations unless there was a life safety issue.

Good: Prevent advancing mostly useless government control over our lives.

Bad: EMS constantly evolving at the national level with VA about to get left behind. National Registry of EMTs completely revamped standards, certification levels and nomenclature. VA relies on NREMT to provide standard curriculum and testing.

Glad to see it come to pass, although as usual I find a few odd items in the mix.

Jay

The problem is the repealing of the weapons band does not force the individual agencies to allow it. The individual agencies can still forbid it I have a huge issue with that. Doesn't anyone else??

TFred

The problem is the repealing of the weapons band does not force the individual agencies to allow it. The individual agencies can still forbid it I have a huge issue with that. Doesn't anyone else??
We all do, but it takes one step at a time.

Agency preemption has long been near the top of the list of things to fix.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Read http://ambulancedriverfiles.com/2012/09/13/virginia-emts-granted-right-to-carry/

Kelly is big in the EMS field, as well as being a huge 2A/RKBA supporter and advocate. There's a lot of good commentary from EMS types there addressing this issue/question you raise.

While he's never gotten a toll free phone number and offered to make psychic predictions, I think I'd listen to the one he makes here.

stay safe.

kenny

Hospitals as part of their certification process must comply with the Joint Commission rules. Those rules prohibit the carrying of firearms. So what does the crew do with their firearms then? I don't see the hospitals adding lock boxes.

TFred

Hospitals as part of their certification process must comply with the Joint Commission rules. Those rules prohibit the carrying of firearms. So what does the crew do with their firearms then? I don't see the hospitals adding lock boxes.
Given this point and the fact that every local body can make their own rules anyway, this is probably one of the most pointless changes we've seen come along in quite some time.

Not to say it's not worth changing
, it's just not going to accomplish anything tangible at this point.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
As someone who "rode the bus" for 6 years as an EMT-A in NJ, I'm all for it. I left my comment.

Funny related story....

I was also a volunteer firefighter/heavy rescue guy for 8 years. When I was first on the job in NJ, I worked night shift and would routinely be the only fire officer (Lieutenant) around during the day. One time, my pager went off for a fire alarm. I responded in with the engine, and later when I took my coat off, the Fire Chief (who was from a rival company) saw my Sig P239 tucked into my bunker pants. He tried to tell me that I couldn't carry my gun in a "fire scene". I told him that as a sworn officer, I could tote my pistol wherever the hell I damn well pleased, and he could call the Attorney General if he wanted to complain. Every cop carried their gun...everywhere. We had a college in town that was pretty rough. When we had calls there, we would station a rookie with the engine, and with an axe in his hands to keep the stuff from being stolen off the truck.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Given this point and the fact that every local body can make their own rules anyway, this is probably one of the most pointless changes we've seen come along in quite some time.

Not to say it's not worth changing
, it's just not going to accomplish anything tangible at this point.

TFred

This! If nothing else it is one small step closer to state agency preemption. For that we should support it.

stay safe.