• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC kicked out of the Northtown Mall in Spokane

Cubex DE

I just saw a review of the Northtown Mall in Spokane posted on FriendOrFoe.us dated today:

Open carrying and was told to leave. The mall does not have a visible no-gun sign at every entrance. However, they do have mall rules in small print which says no fireamrs [sic].

Was this someone from this forum? Anyone know any details about this? I'd love to hear the story if someone is willing to share it.

Jeff Hayes

It wasn't me, I CC there the one or two times a year I end up there.

Yes Dave it is private property and they get to make the rules there.

amlevin

What if there is a starbucks in a mall? Can the mall security kick you out of a business that allows open carry?

The answer to that depends on any "no weapons" language that might be in Starbucks' lease with the Mall owner. Leases with mall's can often include prohibited activity and even limit goods sold. Without reading a copy of their lease it's doubtful anyone can accurately answer that.

country.hacker

Northtown has actually been pretty positive whenever I go there, I've been approached by security three or four times, they ask to see my Carry Permit, I inform them that I don't need one, and they let me go on my way. Never been asked to leave (or even cover up). I'm there once or twice a month, always OC.

The Valley Mall, however, is an entirely different story. Last time I didn't even get in the front door before a security guard confronted me and told me I couldn't go in unless I either disarmed or covered up.

Edit to Amzbrady: I read somewhere that the mall can dictate no-weapons policies to the smaller, interior stores, but the big corner "fixtures" (ie Kohls, Sears, JC Pennys) get to make their own rules. I don't have any cites, so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Cubex DE

I read somewhere that the mall can dictate no-weapons policies to the smaller, interior stores, but the big corner "fixtures" (ie Kohls, Sears, JC Pennys) get to make their own rules. I don't have any cites, so take that with a grain of salt.

It must be just the stores with outside entrances. That way customers who are carrying can come in, shop, and leave without entering the main mall area.