• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HUGE kydex holsters

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
What is with these ginormis kydex holsters I keep seeing? They seem to be the new "thing"

timthumb.php

IMG_6898%25281%2529.jpg

1. Who here has one like this?
2. Are the comfortable? They appear to be huge, bulky and sharp around the edges. I can't imagine they are comfortable.
3. Why in the world are they all around $70+?
4. If they are decent, does anyone know where to find one for 20 bucks? Does anyone know how to make these yourself?

WalkingWolf

What is with these ginormis kydex holsters I keep seeing? They seem to be the new "thing"

timthumb.php

IMG_6898%25281%2529.jpg

1. Who here has one like this?
2. Are the comfortable? They appear to be huge, bulky and sharp around the edges. I can't imagine they are comfortable.
3. Why in the world are they all around $70+?
4. If they are decent, does anyone know where to find one for 20 bucks? Does anyone know how to make these yourself?

You can make them yourself, look for youtube videos, then you just need to find the material. Not sure if it would be cheaper though. I like leather, anybody with fair skills should be able to make a under $50 holster with leather, maybe cheaper. But then if you search ebay a person can find used quality holsters, it just takes patience.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
I have a Raven Phantom and think it's definitely worth the money.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

These weren't designed to be pretty, rather tough, modular and functional. Nothing sharp or uncomfortable and there are various accessories to suit different carry preferences.

The quality of materials you will find out there among similarly styled competitors varies greatly. Not everything that looks alike will hold up to the abuses of rigorous training and use.

Almost forgot to mention: they have the best warranty and customer service in the business and they are right here in the USA.

WARRANTY
Our warranty is very simple: If you wear out or break a piece of RCS gear, we will repair or replace it at no charge - FOREVER. It doesn't matter where you bought it, when you bought it, or how you broke it. No fine print - no exceptions. Just return the product to us and we will make it right.

It is a truly unconditional lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

The size spreads out the weight over a larger area which makes the weight less concentrated in one spot, also a belt has more control over the holster when it's controlling two widely separated belt loops rather than a single centrally located belt loop.
The large size also will usually mean a less abrupt angle in the holster's contours, which can help concealment.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I have a Raven Phantom and think it's definitely worth the money.

Price: $79.99

^holy cow! I'd like to give it a try but man, 80 bucks is a little steep for two pieces of kydex riveted together isn't it?

j4l

^holy cow! I'd like to give it a try but man, 80 bucks is a little steep for two pieces of kydex riveted together isn't it?

one thing we can agree on-

and another- nice CLICK sounds that emit anytime you so much as breathe or bump into anything.
Personally, I like leather-partly for looks, though a moot point when CC instead of OC- and comfort, and flexibility-and -inexpensive to make for one's self.
the Kydex/plastic stuff- ya you can make it yourself, it doesnt make any sense to do so $$-wise, unless you are making and selling tons of em.
You have to out-lay for the presses, and ovens and punches and so forth.. you'd have to sell a few dozen, at least before re-gaining what you spent in tools and materials.

WalkingWolf

one thing we can agree on-

and another- nice CLICK sounds that emit anytime you so much as breathe or bump into anything.
Personally, I like leather-partly for looks, though a moot point when CC instead of OC- and comfort, and flexibility-and -inexpensive to make for one's self.
the Kydex/plastic stuff- ya you can make it yourself, it doesnt make any sense to do so $$-wise, unless you are making and selling tons of em.
You have to out-lay for the presses, and ovens and punches and so forth.. you'd have to sell a few dozen, at least before re-gaining what you spent in tools and materials.

I have looked at the videos, and some of the equipment people already have. Heat blower, toaster oven, odds and end tools. I saw one where they used the food vacuum sealer to set the hot plastic. Equipment is necessary for leather also for a professional looking holster, but I do think it is cheaper than going the plastic route. Knife gurus also use pvc instead of kydex, but that would be really ugly unless painted.

ATM

Campaign Veteran

Check one out and you'll find there's a bit more to it than that.

If I didn't need it to withstand the repeated abuses of training classes, drills and, God forbid, an actual need under less than ideal circumstances, I'd probably be happy with something cheaper and less robust.

I have a few "fair weather" holsters that I wish I'd saved my money on. This is the last one I'll need.

Tabfry

I have looked at the videos, and some of the equipment people already have. Heat blower, toaster oven, odds and end tools. I saw one where they used the food vacuum sealer to set the hot plastic. Equipment is necessary for leather also for a professional looking holster, but I do think it is cheaper than going the plastic route. Knife gurus also use pvc instead of kydex, but that would be really ugly unless painted.

I've made my own Kydex/leather holster much like the ones Crossbreed offer. It's not too difficult. Watch some youtube videos and take your time. The hardest part for me was to determine how I wanted to cut the leather.

You can find most of the materials you need at www.knifekits.com.

Holster.jpg

SPOProds

Looks great. Would you mind sharing the guide you used to make this? (if you used one)

I watched a bunch of youtube videos on kydex holsters and sheaths. Then ordered the stuff and went at it. Mocked up some ideas then tried them out. Gets apic of my first holster. As you can see the cuts arent very pretty but it works and does what it's suppose to. I also made a "vanguard" style holster.
I spent about $200 to start up.
$80-small press
$20-4sqft of kydex
$20-rivet roller/curler thing (i got the manual version)
$10- rivets
$10- chicago screws
$15-rubber snap loops

zema7usu.jpg

eqygesum.jpg

dahudenu.jpg

11B2O

Kydex holsters are the only ones I use now. They are durable, conceal real well and distributes the weight of the gun more evenly. Also holsters like the ones I've bought from Armordillo Concealment are custom made so I can have them made exactly the way I want them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

snatale42

There the same size as the Hybrids out there, spreads weight better. I can't see them being as comfortable, they don't move. I see a lot of people reviewing holsters and saying there the most comfortable and by pics you know it feels terrible on. Granted people are different but I think most of it it because many people only THINK they've have a comfortable holster.

Dave White

I only use 1 "holster" for carry when I carry concealed.. a work belt with the straps cut off..
I can wear any pants, shorts, jogging pants.. etc and never have to worry about a belt or belt strap it can handle anything from the smallest .25 up to a 1911 no issue.

I usually carry either my Glock 17 or full size 1911 I can adjust it as high or as low as i need to and it cost me less then 20$ 3 years so far using it without issues and it is comfortable..

I got the idea from the belly band except these thing can be tightened or loosened via 3 different straps to adjust to anything.

http://www.harborfreight.com/lumbar-support-belt-large-94104.html

snatale42

I only use 1 "holster" for carry when I carry concealed.. a work belt with the straps cut off..
I can wear any pants, shorts, jogging pants.. etc and never have to worry about a belt or belt strap it can handle anything from the smallest .25 up to a 1911 no issue.

I usually carry either my Glock 17 or full size 1911 I can adjust it as high or as low as i need to and it cost me less then 20$ 3 years so far using it without issues and it is comfortable..

I got the idea from the belly band except these thing can be tightened or loosened via 3 different straps to adjust to anything.

http://www.harborfreight.com/lumbar-support-belt-large-94104.html

Whats isolating the trigger from your body? Sounds like the belly band eqiv to Mexican carry.

WalkingWolf

Whats isolating the trigger from your body? Sounds like the belly band eqiv to Mexican carry.

Are you serious suggesting that the his ribs are going to pull the trigger? ND's come from finger on the trigger. If a person needs a holster or carry method to keep their finger off the trigger they have no business carrying a firearm

snatale42

Are you serious suggesting that the his ribs are going to pull the trigger? ND's come from finger on the trigger. If a person needs a holster or carry method to keep their finger off the trigger they have no business carrying a firearm

What I'm saying is people that carry in unconventional ways have a much higher rate of self inflicted gunshot wounds. A guy here in VA died last year do to it. Whether it be Mexican or a poor substitution for a holster without solid trigger isolation crap can happen whether on the draw or adjusting. Can people do it and not have issue...yup. Is a couple bucks worth the chance? NOPE! Also add the girl that was shot and killed accidentally in Detroit a couple months ago while DANCING with an off duty cop that was carrying stuck in his pants I think, or the just last year in AZ who shot himself in the junk. Having an ACTUAL holster is common sense.

WalkingWolf

What I'm saying is people that carry in unconventional ways have a much higher rate of self inflicted gunshot wounds. A guy here in VA died last year do to it. Whether it be Mexican or a poor substitution for a holster without solid trigger isolation crap can happen whether on the draw or adjusting. Can people do it and not have issue...yup. Is a couple bucks worth the chance? NOPE! Also add the girl that was shot and killed accidentally in Detroit a couple months ago while DANCING with an off duty cop that was carrying stuck in his pants I think, or the just last year in AZ who shot himself in the junk. Having an ACTUAL holster is common sense.

Reliable cite please, from an actual study? BTW the Detroit officers gun was in a holster! The Texas Walmart incident the gun was in a holster. The "I just ##### shot myself" was in a expensive retention holster.

Last edited:

snatale42

Reliable cite please, from an actual study? BTW the Detroit officers gun was in a holster! The Texas Walmart incident the gun was in a holster. The "I just ##### shot myself" was in a expensive retention holster.

http://wtvr.com/2011/11/14/father-accidentally-kills-himself-in-front-of-children-at-grocery-store/

http://news.yahoo.com/man-accidentally-shoots-self-nevada-theater-053240527.html

There's a few, I'm not wasting my work day googling for you what SHOULD be common sense. There is no shortage of accidental shootings with no / bad holsters. It's these idiots that make all gun owners look stupid and gives credit to the fear tactics that we are a danger to people. Why do you need so much convincing that a proper holster is the only way to go? That's scary to say the least and reflects on your own intelligence.