• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can one OC/CCW @ the Air Races Friday ? (Reno)

Yard Sale

The question is: What becomes of NRS 244.364 and 268.418 when public property is used for quasi-private purposes?

Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers.

Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers.

Merlin

Exactly, which is why I question whether any local municipality can grant someone the right to violate the preemption statues if they can't violate it themselves.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Nevada carrier

My take on this is that they event organizer (lessee) may set rules as they see fit that do not violate state law. When public property is leased, it's still publicly owned. They cannot violate preemption. On the other hand, this will not get fixed unless and until someone is arrested, charged, convicted and the conviction is successfully overturned on appeal, establishing specific case law.

It's unfortunate, but it appears that most public and private entities have adopted the "catch me if you can" mentality where by they do what they want, regardless of statutes based on the presupposition that The People they're effecting don't have the will or the means to fight out a lengthy and expensive court battle. A serious and very dangerous side effect is that by manipulating the system this way, they've ultimately rendered the legislative branch of government ineffective and have burdened the judicial branch with the task of legislating from the bench each and every circumstance that arises.

Rollbar

Ok even w/the General admission, you don't have to sit in the stands. You can sit down in front but bring a chair/small umbrella/hat-we didn't and we look like a rock lobster :)

On the topic of CCW/Carry. We did not have a backpack (although they checked them) and walked to the ticket person and said hello, how are you, and walked in. IF one wanted to CCW, and do it right, no one would know-no pat down when we went.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My take on this is that they event organizer (lessee) may set rules as they see fit that do not violate state law. When public property is leased, it's still publicly owned. They cannot violate preemption. On the other hand, this will not get fixed unless and until someone is arrested, charged, convicted and the conviction is successfully overturned on appeal, establishing specific case law. ...

This is my worry.

Because they will TELL you that you can't open carry, and all the cops and sheeple with agree with them until you take it to an actual court.

But you may be committing an actual crime if you conceal it, and now you will have no defense if caught.

They win.

Rollbar

I messed up-I forgot to look for signage when I went in. LOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooong walk to the main gate & I just wanted to get in and sit down.

I'll ask some others to look tomorrow.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Can we get them (the cops) to commit (in writing) to the penalty if caught with a concealed weapon? If it is trespassing, then do the math. If it is a violation of the concealed weapons law, then by definition, they CANNOT prohibit open carry.

Yes, I understand that cops are allowed to lie, and they will also almost always get it wrong in a question like this. Is there anyway to ask the district attorney? And have his answer available to the police?

Last edited:

Rollbar

SIGNS Were Posted:

attachment.php

attachment.php

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
SIGNS Were Posted:

And it reads just like other signs that have no weight of law.

All I know is that can't have it both ways. Either open carry must be allowed on public property, or concealed carry (with permit) is not a crime on private property, regardless of their admission "requirements."

jdholmes

I don't know how these groups get away with denying people water, a basic human right. What happens when the person has a heat stroke that can't afford their $4 water bottles?

wrightme

During the event, the area in question is NOT 'public property.' Actions normally taken on the public property are not in effect.

As example, if the entire DMV office were leased to a special event, such as a race where a downtown street area were blocked off for closed-course racing, and the DMV office was used during the event for a race hq, and not for a DMV, it is no longer a 'public' office. As in the RARA specific, they CAN allow or deny what they want to allow or deny. Event attendees have a choice to make. Either purchase a ticket and attend within the rules, attend and disobey the rules and take the chance of being removed and not refunded, or not attend.

Merlin

During the event, the area in question is NOT 'public property.' Actions normally taken on the public property are not in effect.

As example, if the entire DMV office were leased to a special event, such as a race where a downtown street area were blocked off for closed-course racing, and the DMV office was used during the event for a race hq, and not for a DMV, it is no longer a 'public' office. As in the RARA specific, they CAN allow or deny what they want to allow or deny. Event attendees have a choice to make. Either purchase a ticket and attend within the rules, attend and disobey the rules and take the chance of being removed and not refunded, or not attend.

I have to call for a citation here. While what you say IS in fact how it is treated, that doesn't mean it is actually codified into law. This is exactly what we are dealing with on the "Vegas Streats" matter. Nowhere in the LV city ordinances does it state that public property becomes private during a special event permit. Again, if the city/county doesn't have the authority to regulate firearms per PreEmption, how can they grant an event permittee that authority?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Rollbar

I don't know how these groups get away with denying people water, a basic human right. What happens when the person has a heat stroke that can't afford their $4 water bottles?

My son and I carried our water bottle in through the man gate in out hand-we only had the one. I did tell him IF they denied us I was not throwing it away but would stand in line and drink it down, then proceed in.