• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can one OC/CCW @ the Air Races Friday ? (Reno)

Rollbar

Like the subject reads. My son brought home two tickets for Friday's Air Races and we were wondering if we can carry there? Those of you who attended this function before any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,.
Jim

FallonJeeper

A better question would be, "What would prohibit carrying at the Reno Air Races?"

I'm not aware of anything legally prohibiting the carry, OC/CC of a firearm at an air race.

Yard Sale

airrace.org said:
Persons in possession of any of the following prohibited items are not permitted on the event site, whether they have proper credentials or tickets for admission, unless specifically authorized by the Reno Air Racing Association, the Airport Authority of Washoe County or a State, Local or Federal law enforcement or emergency services agency:

•Explosives, fireworks, incendiary devices, firearms, or other weapons or dangerous items. Unless you are a law enforcement officer, your CCW or Concealed Firearm Permit does not grant you the right to carry a firearm at the Reno National Championship Air Races.
^

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wait a minute. Either open carry is legal here, being on public property in the non-secure areas of the airport, or it is private property and solely a trespassing issue if refusing to leave (open or concealed carry).

Last edited:

Merlin

Wait a minute. Either open carry is legal here, being on public property in the non-secure areas of the airport, or it is private property and solely a trespassing issue if refusing to leave (open or concealed carry).

Beat me to it. This.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Rollbar

...which begs the question how the owner/manager can trespass a person with whom they have contracted for entrance.

As Contracted by buying said ticket-correct? But the tickets were given to Jr, not bought by him/us. :question:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
The secure (admission) area of Stead is LEASED to RARA, who thus can set entry requirements. One of those requirements is no weapons.

By using a ticket to enter, you are agreeing to abide by all of the rules set by RARA. The only exceptions to the no-weapons rule are for approved displays (military reenactors) and those who have hangars at Stead (who may not bring weapons out of those hangars).

A word of warning: most parking areas are likewise RARA-controlled and subject to the same rules. The other parking areas are leased or owned by other private owners, who may set their own rules.

The rule is VIGOROUSLY enforced, in part because of threats which have been made against members of the RARA staff.

I don't agree with the policy (neither do many of the staff of RARA, especially Security volunteers) but I abide by it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If it is now leased property, and therefore they can have their own policies contrary to state law, then that means a concealed firearm is no longer a weapons violation, right? I'm not guessing what THEY think, but this is how I see it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The only exceptions to the no-weapons rule are for approved displays (military reenactors) and those who have hangars at Stead (who may not bring weapons out of those hangars)...

And was that spelled out in the agreement when those hangars were bought/leased?

DVC

And was that spelled out in the agreement when those hangars were bought/leased?

Yes, actually. The lease specifies that all taxiways, runways and common areas of the field are under RARA's control for the days of the event. Those who want to be able to fly at whim have to temporarily move their planes to Reno Tahoe, Spanish Springs, Carson City, Minden, Fernley, etc -- otherwise, they are unable to get out or in except when the control tower is closed (overnight).

Yard Sale

By using a ticket to enter, you are agreeing to abide by all of the rules set by RARA.
Oh, bull. The rules aren't even provided as a condition of entry to prospective ticket purchasers.

The legislature reserves for itself the power to restrict the possession of firearms on public property.

Compare this to the open carrier at the gun show in the public building in Vegas.

Merlin

Compare this to the open carrier at the gun show in the public building in Vegas.

Yep, sounds similar. Its not actually a gun issue, its a event permitting authority issue. In other words, the private entity that applies for the permit has been given the impression that their event permit gives them this "private property style" control. The permitting agency has affirmed that. That means the actual beef is with the permitting agency, not the permittee.

I still need to pursue the city attorney office in Vegas on that matter. Work keeps getting in the way.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

DVC

Oh, bull. The rules aren't even provided as a condition of entry to prospective ticket purchasers.

Legally, the buyer is responsible for finding out what the rules are (they're posted online and if you are buying at the gate, will be provided upon request). You are BUYING A TICKET, which means that you are already acknowledging their control of the area.

As I said, RARA has LEASED the place. That makes it (temporary) PRIVATE PROPERTY. Even those of us who are staffing the races are not permitted to have weapons unless we are LEOs or our job there requires it.

Rollbar

You are BUYING A TICKET, which means that you are already acknowledging their control of the area.

Not trying to split hairs here but the tickets were FREE :shocker: :banana:

But I guess if you enter w/said ticket, you still acknowledge said rules :confused:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... That makes it (temporary) PRIVATE PROPERTY. ....

So is it now only a trespassing issue if caught with a concealed firearm, which is normally not allowed in these areas when they are public property?

DVC

So is it now only a trespassing issue if caught with a concealed firearm, which is normally not allowed in these areas when they are public property?

I would think so.

I would also think that I wouldn't want to be banned forever from the races.

BTW, I don't think there's any ban on CCW or weapons in general at Stead EXCEPT during the races.