Thread: What if we get it wrong?

What if we get it wrong?

Seen today that our country's economic competitiveness in the world has dropped two points, from # 5 to # 7. We were # 1 in 2008. We are 16 trillion in debt. Russia and China are growing their militaries, while the White House ignores military budget deadlines. The interest we pay China is enough to fund their military. Obamacare is 1/6 of our economy. More people on welfare than ever. No jobs, gas prices, etc. The list goes on and on. We are being warned about the probable outcome if we stay on this course. I know we all have these issues that are important to us. For some, it is gay rights, others, it's about abortions. Libertarians have their reasons. Some care about immigration. This list also goes on and on. Urban dwellers and young people mostly go Democratic. Rural people and elders mostly go Republican. Ever wondered why? I have my thoughts on it, but that's another subject. Point being, with the threat of us going the way of Greece, and our kid's futures being at risk, our very security as a nation on the line, what if we get it wrong? I've seen some Presidents come and go. In the past, if a president screwed up, we just got rid of him and moved on. We could just fix the things he screwed up. I believe that this time, it's for all the marbles. I don't ever remember so much riding on the near future. In a couple of hundred years, we became the greatest nation on earth. Others have been around for thousands of years and they're still throwing rocks. So many great people have given it all to make this nation what it is. So much blood has been shed. Generation after generation has contributed to what we have become. Is our belief in our own issues, such as gay rights, immigration, welfare to the masses, etc., worth betting the farm on? We may very well be down to the wire. We may lose it all as we've known it. There may not be any getting it back if we get it wrong. I imagine there will be the proverbial cards and letters coming in, but I don't care. These are just my thoughts. I don't care to argue about them. Have a nice day!
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by hjmoosejaw View Post
    I believe that this time, it's for all the marbles. I don't ever remember so much riding on the near future.
    This has been claimed before every Presidential election in the history of this nation, including the first one*, and with every election, no matter who gets elected, we end up worse off, but not in some sudden cataclysm. Placing undue importance on a Presidential election invariably leads to reactionary, poor decisions at the voting booth. At the very least, if you truly believe we're at the precipice, why not vote for someone who might actually do something beneficial, instead of someone who is guaranteed to perpetuate the downfall?

* Interestingly, the first one was arguably the only one for which it was meaningfully true.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    This has been claimed before every Presidential election in the history of this nation, including the first one*, and with every election, no matter who gets elected, we end up worse off, but not in some sudden cataclysm. Placing undue importance on a Presidential election invariably leads to reactionary, poor decisions at the voting booth. At the very least, if you truly believe we're at the precipice, why not vote for someone who might actually do something beneficial, instead of someone who is guaranteed to perpetuate the downfall?

* Interestingly, the first one was arguably the only one for which it was meaningfully true.
    You're right, each time, there seems to be a bunch of hoopla about "how important this election is". The thing that concerns me though, is how overstretched we our in so many areas. I mean 16 trillion debt, 1/6 of economy in Obamacare, more people on welfare than ever. There are a lot of "firsts" this time. Hell, even just the number on welfare scares me. Not just because of the money, but also the votes. Between that, the immigrants, and all of the other takers, we may never have the numbers to win another election. Before anybody comments, I'm not talking about all welfare recipients or all immigrants. A lot of them are just workers out of a job. I'm talking about the career "takers".
    watch your top knot !

We already got it wrong. Ron Paul could be going against Obama right now. And Ron Paul would have won easily. But thanks to the RNC and the establishment blatantly cheating and breaking their own rules, we now have Romney. So now whether Obama wins or Romney wins, we still lose.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    We already got it wrong. Ron Paul could be going against Obama right now. And Ron Paul would have won easily. But thanks to the RNC and the establishment blatantly cheating and breaking their own rules, we now have Romney. So now whether Obama wins or Romney wins, we still lose.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj0bwLBckkI
    Last edited by georg jetson; 09-14-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    yup. It's axiomatic!
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Stop buying products from China. Hard to do these days but I try.

Start your own business. Sure, loan me $500k and I'll hire you.

Vote Libertarian. Not in a million years.

Get married. Stay married. Done that, doing that.

Don't do drugs, Good advice.

don't drink alcohol, Better advice follows.
    Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. - Mark Twain
    don't smoke. I don't trust a man who don't smoke.

Exercise. Best advice follows.
    I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting. - Mark Twain
    Cheat on your taxes as much as you can. I don't cheat and I don't like folks who do cheat.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare