• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger CL9

fire suppressor

I currently have a opportunity to buy a Ruger CL9 lightly used at a good price. I know nothing about Rugers other than I believe they have a good reputation and I know absolutely nothing about the CL9. Can anyone give any advice?

DCKilla

Do you mean the LC9? If that's it. I've held one, but never shot it. The grip is ok with the pinky extension. It has a long DAO trigger pull. My wife didn't like it. She had problems with the slide.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Do you mean the LC9? If that's it. I've held one, but never shot it. The grip is ok with the pinky extension. It has a long DAO trigger pull. My wife didn't like it. She had problems with the slide.

Yes it is a LC9 sorry for the typo. I am not familiar with the acronym DAO. I currently do not have a 9m in my collection in fact I never have and thought it would help round out my toys. It looks like a smaller frame gun similar to my Walther P22. I was thinking about maybe keeping it and a spare mag locked up in my car as a emergency back up but was I said above I know absolutely nothing about this gun and don't want to buy a dud

Last edited:

DCKilla

Yes it is a LC9 sorry for the typo. I am not familiar with the acronym DAO. I currently do not have a 9m in my collection in fact I never have and thought it would help round out my toys. It looks like a smaller frame gun similar to my Walther P22. I was thinking about maybe keeping it and a spare mag locked up in my car as a emergency back up but was I said above I know absolutely nothing about this gun and don't want to buy a dud
DAO = Double Action Only

tombrewster421

The gun is essentially the same as the LCP which is the .380 version. The 9 is just marginally larger. Deros gave away a couple LCPs at past events and I bought my wife the Taurus version of the design. They're snappy little guns and take a much stronger grip than my Glock 19. Obviously these guns main selling point is conceal-ability though. If you do buy it you just may find yourself carrying it in an ankle rig rather than stashing it in your car. That's what happened with the one I originally bought for my wife.;)

Tactical SS

It is a small little gun, which is something I really like about it. It's highly concealable under nothing more than a t-shirt. I have 250 rounds through mine with only one "issue". One time it failed to completely push the slide forward. A small movement in my hand fixed that issue, but it could very well have been a user error. I have not been able to replicated the problem again. I am comfortable enough with it to carry it.

It all depends on the price, how much can you get it for used?

wacarry

The LC9 was my main carry gun for about a year. I have about 500 rounds through mine with zero issues. The grip is a little slim for my hands, so I bought the hogue grip. The trigger is loooooonnng, but a lot of newer cpl holders like that feature for concealed carry. All in all it's a nice little gun.

carracer

I carry mine in a DeSantis IWB holster. Don't like the trigger, but, am getting used to it. It is more accurate than I am. Almost too big for a normal pocket. Fits ok in deep ones. I like the grip with the finger extension magazine. won't shoot it without one.

godsdaddy

I have an LC9 that I use as a BUG or standalone when I am only CC'ing. I have around 500rds thru mine with no failures of any kind. I concur with everything that has already been posted about the gun being small, with a skinny grip, and a looooooooooong stiff trigger. Nothing there that can't be overcome with training. Another option, Galloway Precision does a trigger bar and hammer mod that improves the trigger greatly. Due to some B.S. issues with getting new parts from Ruger, you have to send your own hammer and trigger bar in for the mod, but turn-around is pretty quick. ($46.95 with shipping, about a 2-3 day turn around) My only complaint about the LC9 is with the lower quality finish that Ruger went with on the slide. I'm pretty religious about wiping down my carry guns after getting them sweaty, but even with doing that I started to notice surface corrosion on the slide of my LC9. Not a big deal, as I'll probably just have the slide Cerakoted, but still something to take note of.

I'd say if you can get a decent price on the LC9, go for it. I've been happy with mine. IHMO, YMMV, etc.

fire suppressor

I am able to pick one up used for $300 with two mags. The original owner has only had it for about a years and has only put it a few boxes of ammo through it. The seller is trying to save up enough money to do something special for his wife he is a good creditable guy. I don't really "need" it but thought $300 is a good price to pick up a back up

Last edited: