• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cantor & Powell debate: audience by invitation only?

Repeater

How is this Democracy? Why not allow any resident of the 7th District, including gun owners, to attend?

Cantor to debate economic issues with Powell on Oct. 1
Rep. Eric Cantor, R-7th, will debate economic issues with Democratic congressional challenger Wayne Powell on Oct.1 in an event sponsored by the Virginia Chamber of Commerce in partnership with local chambers of commerce.

Chamber official Ryan Dunn said the debate is open to chamber members and their guests as well as invited guests of both campaigns. Members must purchase tickets at $25 each. There will be media coverage.

Longtime political analyst Robert Holsworth will moderate the hourlong debate, which will feature questions from chamber members that are "business focused" and deal with issues that matter to the business community, Dunn said.

Who: Rep. Eric Cantor, R-7th, and Democrat Wayne Powell

When: Oct. 1, 7 p.m.

Where: CarMax headquarters, 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Goochland County

Tickets: The debate is open to Chamber members and their guests; tickets are $25 each.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In a democracy you have "debates" sponsored by impartial organizations like the League of Women Voters (who apparently could not care less about this race if you paid them) or a *shudder* newspaper (even if has already endorsed a candidate).

I'm sorry that you supposed that this was a public debate. It's a fundraiser - the pot probably will be split based on the percentage each side contributed, less the organizer's share (which will most likely be promptly be donated).

But, wait! It's sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce - another of those supposedly impartiaol organizations. Then perhaps they are the ones in need of funding? (Who was it that said "Follow the money"?)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm sorry that you supposed that this was a public debate. It's a fundraiser - the pot probably will be split based on the percentage each side contributed, less the organizer's share (which will most likely be promptly be donated).
stay safe.

That's exactly what it is. I get invited to all those things....as long as I'm willing to pay the fee.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here you go: I officially invite you....

we dont live in a democracy ....

BYOB (Bring your own bucks):lol:
Hi! I wanted to make sure you had received the invitation for the Attorney General's upcoming golf tournament on September 13th and 14th. I have attached the information to this email. Please RSVP if you will be able to join us for this great event. Also, please feel free to pass the invitation along to any contacts you think may be interested. Thanks! Kate