Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside OH, OC dash-cam

Riverside OH, OC dash-cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAqelKBUAA
    Just popped up on another forum, no idea of the date of the incident.

This is just another case of the LEO pissed that the OCer didn't get down and lick his boots. This guy should not be a LEO.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Who is the idiot that posted this from OFCC??????

They cite a worthless case, USA v. Robert Jones Northern District of Ohio at Cleveland from 2012.

It's a unpublished case. And it deals with a traffic stop.

One has to wonder why the tape was turned off when it was? Something unfavorable to the officer?

They souldn't have the power to turn off any recording! It doesnt matter anyway because this cop is about to be spanked for his behavior. LOL My neighbor is a retired Riverside CoP. He says this Sgt Jones is a real loser. He was fired from Randolph Township before working for Riverside years ago for incompetance. He must of did a lot of boot licking to become Sargeant. Sue them where it hurts. I think an open carry march might be in order!
    Last edited by Makarov; 09-14-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Between Facebook and a few of forums, I still can't figure out the story. Anyone have a link or links to details?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I'm not going to burn up a lot of time trying to figure out what OFCC is trying to accomplish. Of course I know of no case that OFCC was involved in defending an individual that ended in a win. And plea bargains are not wins.

Quote Originally Posted by JmE View Post
    Between Facebook and a few of forums, I still can't figure out the story. Anyone have a link or links to details?
    Here's the police report. Grab a coke and some popcorn...it's a good read full of jokes. I love how multiple times he feels the need to explain that a criminal would do XXXXX as if justifying his arrest then at the end he adds the subject did nothing illegal with his firearm but he was arrested because a bystander that was talking to the police at the time in the parking lot became scared.

https://www.facebook.com/download/26...llredacted.pdf

Jedi is now on OCDO?! Yay!

So, someone did something perfectly legal, then someone else got scared of that legal activity, then the police arrested the first someone?

Someone is an idiot, but which one?

------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

I got "the page you requested was not found" when I clicked on the PDF link... ARRRGGG! Thanks for the attempt, JediSkipdogg, and it's good to see you posting over here too.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSkipdogg View Post
    ... he was arrested because a bystander that was talking to the police at the time in the parking lot became scared.
    Actually, it's more interesting than that. It wasn't just a bystander. His supplement indicates that he was talking to an unnamed female "about a stop [he] had just completed on a family member of hers."

In my mind, this raises a few issues:
    • Why is this female not named? Is she not a highly relevant witness? Is he not, at least in part, using her fear as a basis for his detention of Mr. Call?
    • Why did he stop the female's family member? Does she come from an environment where, if a gun appears, someone is likely to get shot?

Quote Originally Posted by JmE View Post
    I got "the page you requested was not found" when I clicked on the PDF link... ARRRGGG! Thanks for the attempt, JediSkipdogg, and it's good to see you posting over here too.
    Link works for me. Maybe you have to be logged into facebook to access it. It asks me to download it when I click on it.

Yeah, signed up a week ago, looked back a few pages, thought about correcting all the mistakes everyone posted, but then thought, nah, I don't have a week to do it. LOL So I'll start as I see info come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Werz View Post
    Actually, it's more interesting than that. It wasn't just a bystander. His supplement indicates that he was talking to an unnamed female "about a stop [he] had just completed on a family member of hers."

In my mind, this raises a few issues:
    • Why is this female not named? Is she not a highly relevant witness? Is he not, at least in part, using her fear as a basis for his detention of Mr. Call?
    • Why did he stop the female's family member? Does she come from an environment where, if a gun appears, someone is likely to get shot?
    I don't follow the relevance of the second one but do agree on the first one. She should be named somehow in the report as a witness. Of course he was only charged with Obstruction so a witness isn't really needed, the officer would be the witness.

Ohio's Disorderly Conduct statute has been posted before, but...

2917.11 Disorderly conduct.

(A) No person shall recklessly cause inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm to another by doing any of the following:
    (1) Engaging in fighting, in threatening harm to persons or property, or in violent or turbulent behavior;
    (2) Making unreasonable noise or an offensively coarse utterance, gesture, or display or communicating unwarranted and grossly abusive language to any person;
    (3) Insulting, taunting, or challenging another, under circumstances in which that conduct is likely to provoke a violent response;
    (4) Hindering or preventing the movement of persons on a public street, road, highway, or right-of-way, or to, from, within, or upon public or private property, so as to interfere with the rights of others, and by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender;
    (5) Creating a condition that is physically offensive to persons or that presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property, by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender.

(B) No person, while voluntarily intoxicated, shall do either of the following:
    (1) In a public place or in the presence of two or more persons, engage in conduct likely to be offensive or to cause inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm to persons of ordinary sensibilities, which conduct the offender, if the offender were not intoxicated, should know is likely to have that effect on others;
    (2) Engage in conduct or create a condition that presents a risk of physical harm to the offender or another, or to the property of another.

(C) Violation of any statute or ordinance of which an element is operating a motor vehicle, locomotive, watercraft, aircraft, or other vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, is not a violation of division (B) of this section.

(D) If a person appears to an ordinary observer to be intoxicated, it is probable cause to believe that person is voluntarily intoxicated for purposes of division (B) of this section.

(E)(1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of disorderly conduct.
    (2) Except as otherwise provided in division (E)(3) of this section, disorderly conduct is a minor misdemeanor.
    (3) Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree if any of the following applies:
    (a) The offender persists in disorderly conduct after reasonable warning or request to desist.
    (b) The offense is committed in the vicinity of a school or in a school safety zone.
    (c) The offense is committed in the presence of any law enforcement officer, firefighter, rescuer, medical person, emergency medical services person, or other authorized person who is engaged in the person’s duties at the scene of a fire, accident, disaster, riot, or emergency of any kind.
    (d) The offense is committed in the presence of any emergency facility person who is engaged in the person’s duties in an emergency facility.

(F) As used in this section:
    (1) “Emergency medical services person” is the singular of “emergency medical services personnel” as defined in section 2133.21 of the Revised Code.
    (2) “Emergency facility person” is the singular of “emergency facility personnel” as defined in section 2909.04 of the Revised Code.
    (3) “Emergency facility” has the same meaning as in section 2909.04 of the Revised Code.
    (4) “Committed in the vicinity of a school” has the same meaning as in section 2925.01 of the Revised Code.

Effective Date: 01-25-2002

2921.31 Obstructing official business.

(A) No person, without privilege to do so and with purpose to prevent, obstruct, or delay the performance by a public official of any authorized act within the public official’s official capacity, shall do any act that hampers or impedes a public official in the performance of the public official’s lawful duties.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of obstructing official business. Except as otherwise provided in this division, obstructing official business is a misdemeanor of the second degree. If a violation of this section creates a risk of physical harm to any person, obstructing official business is a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 03-10-2000

Is doing nothing the same as 'doing any act'? Is remaining silent an 'action'?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 09-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.

"Officer! OFFICER! Oh my god, there's a BLACK MAN and he just went into that convenience store! I'm so scared, won't you do Something about it? I'm scared!!!!11one eleven!!!!"

Yeah.

Good report; the officer as much as admitted that Ohio is an open carry state and that the subjects actions were completely legal. It's going to be hard to have his obstruction (which amounted to remaining silent when he wasn't required by law to say or admit anything) charge hold up as not being "fruit of the poisoned tree."
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 09-14-2012 at 10:32 PM.

But he wasn't charged with D.C. The officer even wrote in the report... "As Ohio is an open carry state, and he had not actually done anything illegal with the gun beyond scaring the female customer..."

He was charged with...

2921.31 Obstructing official business.
    (A) No person, without privilege to do so and with purpose to prevent, obstruct, or delay the performance by a public official of any authorized act within the public official’s official capacity, shall do any act that hampers or impedes a public official in the performance of the public official’s lawful duties.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of obstructing official business. Except as otherwise provided in this division, obstructing official business is a misdemeanor of the second degree. If a violation of this section creates a risk of physical harm to any person, obstructing official business is a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 03-10-2000

Link works for me. Maybe you have to be logged into facebook to access it. It asks me to download it when I click on it.
    Yep, one has to be logged in to download it. I don't really do facebook, so...

Yeah, signed up a week ago, looked back a few pages, thought about correcting all the mistakes everyone posted, but then thought, nah, I don't have a week to do it. LOL So I'll start as I see info come up.
    lol

I'm only part of the way through that report as it's difficult to choke down. That cop appears to be living in some fantasy world. Good Lord!

I think the female witness should've been named as she, supposedly, was frightened and this triggered the chain of events. If she even exists. She was the 'reason' that the officer was investigating; i.e. she was the reason for the 'official business' that was allegedly obstructed.

The report reads like a load of BS to me...

The Ohio Attorney General has already said that OC is not grounds for DC.

But he didn't charge Roy with "scaring" the lady, either.

The arresting civil employee (calling him a cop would be insulting other cops) mentioned "obstruction of justice" before changing his mind to "obstructing official business".

My favorite line from the video?

"I already know everything. When were you born?"

The pre-trial date is Oct. 2nd. I'll happily go out to say hello, but most pre-trial hearings are non-events. I'll even buy Roy's lunch.
    Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes; 09-14-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Riverside OH, OC dash-cam

I know the "Rest of The Story". The cop had no call of a "man with a gun". The person was open carrying with no problem until Sgt. Jones starts harassing. He was there starting his shift. Sgt Jones observes Mr Call in the store and asks him " you can't carry in a store that sells liquor. The rest is history. The arrest was obstruction of official business.
    Last edited by Makarov; 09-14-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Here's the police report. Grab a coke and some popcorn...it's a good read full of jokes. I love how multiple times he feels the need to explain that a criminal would do XXXXX as if justifying his arrest then at the end he adds the subject did nothing illegal with his firearm but he was arrested because a bystander that was talking to the police at the time in the parking lot became scared.

https://www.facebook.com/download/26...llredacted.pdf
    OMG! Now OFCC is posting news of this import on Facebook, for God's sake!

In reading the report I'm of the opinion that 1) it's just too perfect, and 2) it just doesn't add up.

Evidently the officer forgot to include the part where Mr. Call was moving stealthily toward the door while dressed head-to-toe in ninja/camouflage garb.
    Last edited by BB62; 09-14-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
    They souldn't have the power to turn off any recording! It doesnt matter anyway because this cop is about to be spanked for his behavior. LOL My neighbor is a retired Riverside CoP. He says this Sgt Jones is a real loser. He was fired from Randolph Township before working for Riverside years ago for incompetance. He must of did a lot of boot licking to become Sargeant. Sue them where it hurts. I think an open carry march might be in order!
    JONES !!!! OM gosh this guy is the biggest Cowboy Cop the world has ever know ...can't believe he's still a policeman. He was at Randolph Twp as you have said and he caused the biggest controversy in the Twp. in some years. Public meetings had to be moved to a larger room to handle all the people and the news media that showed up and the Twp was sued and had to pay out some $25,000.00 to the citizen that was harassed by Jones. He quit the job.......

Any links to more info about the issues in Randolph Twp?

It would be nice to have more history about this awful-cer.

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Of course I know of no case that OFCC was involved in defending an individual that ended in a win. And plea bargains are not wins.
    Beachwood Failure to Notify case had a not guilty verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by grasspa1 View Post
    JONES !!!! OM gosh this guy is the biggest Cowboy Cop the world has ever know ...can't believe he's still a policeman. He was at Randolph Twp as you have said and he caused the biggest controversy in the Twp. in some years. Public meetings had to be moved to a larger room to handle all the people and the news media that showed up and the Twp was sued and had to pay out some $25,000.00 to the citizen that was harassed by Jones. He quit the job.......
    When did this happen? How about giving us some more detail?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast