Thread: .38 Snubby - hmmmm...

.38 Snubby - hmmmm...

A little help or advice would be great,
    ~ So, was at LEED the other day, and looked at a Rossi 685 2" 38, old school snub nose revolver. It was in very good condition..... for $350 ..... Am I wrong or does the price seem really high? Even with an el-cheepo trade in ($100 value) and him dropping the price a bit, it was still $200 plus the trade.

- Let me ask if anyone has one? Are they (Rossi) worth that much? I have been looking for a good .38 snubby, and I like the old skool SA/DA with hammer i.e.: Colt Detective Specials, or equivalent Smith and Wesson from that era. The price on many of the old brand name snubs is hefty, so an off brand is fine if it's reliable... ideas?? How much should I expect to pay for an old snubby like the Rossi v.s. a brand name like Colt or Smith?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossi 685.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	9226
    Last edited by Batousaii; 09-13-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Well,,,

wow!! old times..
    I bought one of those. new, in 1980? I think I paid 90 bucks at value giant in bremerton..
    nice little 5 shooter,,, quality was just fine, reliable, always went bang when it was supposed to...
    lost it in my divorce in 1990, then my ex wife lost it,,, dont know where.
    look for a notch filed in the butt of the grip,,, my neighbor blew out his brains with it,, sad.
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 09-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member Gilead_Gunslinger's Avatar
    mid-world (somewhere between tacoma and seattle)
    hile, Bat!

sounds toooo pricey... I picked up a colt cobra at puyallup not to long ago for $350... or maybe I was just lucky...
    I aim with my eye... I shoot with my mind... I kill with my heart....
    - The Gunslinger's Litany (paraphrased)

It has been brought to my attention that the stick figure decals on
    the back windows of vehicles are NOT pedestrian 'kill' scores, but are
    actually meant to represent family members. I'll be removing mine
    ASAP to avoid any further confusion.........

First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Definitely at least a hundred bucks high for a Rossi.

• Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Seems a bit high for a Rossi. Used to be known as a good throw away pistol. I just picked up an S&W Bodyguard with a S&W laser for 375. Better weapons may be available.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I bought two Rossi's back around 1984 for 100 each plus shipping. Gave one to my mother, both were good handguns, I later gave the second one to a relative. The days of the 100 dollar guns are pretty much gone.

check this out

One of my favorite carry peices is A taurus 66 with a 4 in barrel. I found this at buds gun shop online.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62DFVy2bjD9IAQ
    Last edited by 1911er; 09-13-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

.38 Snubby - hmmmm...

I paid $300 for a brand-new Rossi R461 in .357. It is a great revolver, one of only a few that I own. I too think his price is a bit high and you could do better.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Rossi's are good pistols but that price seems a little high. I bought two stainless .38's back when they were imported with 3" bb'ls and the importer changed them to 2" bbl's. Paid 160 ea. Sold one just a few years ago for $250.

They aren't exactly S&W's or Colts but they are a far cry from "throwaway's". The one I still own has been shot regularly since 1985 and I've had absolutely no problems with it. Nice jacket pocket gun. Won't jamb on ejected cases if I ever have to fire it from inside the pocket.
    Last edited by amlevin; 09-14-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I've seen Smith M36s go for 350 dollars at LEED in Tacoma off of 6th Avenue.

if you're willing to get one with dissappearing finish or marred finishes you can probably find those in the 300 range
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Nobody asked, but I love my Ruger LCR!

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    A little help or advice would be great,
    ~ So, was at LEED the other day, and looked at a Rossi 685 2" 38, old school snub nose revolver. It was in very good condition..... for $350 ..... Am I wrong or does the price seem really high? Even with an el-cheepo trade in ($100 value) and him dropping the price a bit, it was still $200 plus the trade.

- Let me ask if anyone has one? Are they (Rossi) worth that much? I have been looking for a good .38 snubby, and I like the old skool SA/DA with hammer i.e.: Colt Detective Specials, or equivalent Smith and Wesson from that era. The price on many of the old brand name snubs is hefty, so an off brand is fine if it's reliable... ideas?? How much should I expect to pay for an old snubby like the Rossi v.s. a brand name like Colt or Smith?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossi 685.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	9226
    I wouldn't compare an old, used Rossi to Colt, S&W, Ruger or Taurus. The last four are all high-quality, whereas Rossi (in the old days) was considered "adequate quality for the money". I owned a Rossi .38 snub back in the early 80's, and it was a very good revolver. But, as I recall, I only paid about half as much for it new as they are asking for it used. Old Rossi's are not collectibles, and this is NOT a "good deal"... especially when you are within about $50 of a new Ruger LCR .38+P ($399) or a Taurus .38Spc (even less than $350 if you shop around). I have a Ruger LCR .38+P (one of only 3 wheel guns I presently own) and I love it! At 16.1oz with a full cylinder of JHPs, I have carried it all day long and not even noticed the weight. However, my personal preference is for the superior firepower of my Glock pistols. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 09-15-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    I owned a Rossi .38 snub back in the early 80's, and it was a very good revolver. But, as I recall, I only paid about half as much for it new as they are asking for it used.
    Just remember that you paid for it in 1980's Dollars. "Obama Bucks" aren't worth as much as a dollar was in the '80s
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Just remember that you paid for it in 1980's Dollars. "Obama Bucks" aren't worth as much as a dollar was in the '80s
    If we have to suffer through another four years of Obama, our dollars may be usable as TP... IF we're lucky! Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    If we have to suffer through another four years of Obama, our dollars may be usable as TP... IF we're lucky! Pax...
    Well if they put Obama's face on the dollar then it would be fitting.