• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey brothers * and sisters *

Deliveryboi

Hey everybody, I'm new here as you can probably tell as I haven't yet taken the time to edit my profile. But I'm eager to dive into conversation with ya'll and wanted to introduce myself, figured I'd start here. Names Delton Rhodes, I'm 23 and live near Boise, ID. I just purchased my first sidearm with intent to get my CWP, but unfortunately I don't have the $100 for it. So I've decided to get educated on my 2nd amendment right to open carry as I live in the generous state of ID =).

I guess since this is in the Open Carry Questions section, I probably shouldn't leave this simply an introduction. So here's a question that's probably been asked a million times, so forgive me for being the million and first =).

I'm curious as to why, if our 2nd amendment protects our right to bare arms; how is it possible that any state restrict weapons carry all together. I read on brief post that IL completely restricts weapons carry? Is that even legal, or constitutional? I respect the law, and obey all of them. But I'm also immovable when it comes to my ever growing knowledge of the Constitution, I don't think its right for any man or woman who regularly exercises their rights, to budge in any way. I'd be the type of guy that if reason called me through a state where carry was illegal, I'd likely carry regardless, and stand on the 2nd. Granted I'd probably be stopped every three steps by any law enforcement that wanted to harass me about it, but I'd continue none the less.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a matter of disrespect, and I would gladly change my view if someone could clarify why it ok for some states to ban an American right per the Constitution. I'm a pretty chipper and cheeful guy, with not an ounce of hostility in my bones, but I still believe that we all have the right to defend ourselves regardless of location within the US.

God Bless ya'll, good to be here.
Db

MKEgal

Deliveryboi said:
Hey everybody, I'm new here
Welcome aboard.

here's a question that's probably been asked a million times, so forgive me for being the million and first
The search function is your friend. The start box is toward the upper right, above the ads. It'll take you to a second page, & you can fight with the :cuss: captcha.
This thread in the WI forum has some WI-specific info, but LOTS of good general carry & OC info.
PLEASE be sure to watch the "don't talk to police" video at least once. It's long, but valuable.
You could also browse the general discussion board, & your state-specific forum.

I'm curious as to why, if our 2nd Amendment protects our right to bear arms; how is it possible that any state restrict weapons carry altogether.
FTFY
Bare = adjective: plain, simple, uncovered, naked :shocker:
Bear = noun: a large mammal which poops in the woods
Bear = verb: to carry

Governments tend to do whatever they can get away with, unless & until citizens explain very clearly that those actions are neither correct nor legal & will not be tolerated.
Across the USA, people are slowly waking up & beginning to stand up to wrong-acting government agents of all sorts, at all levels.
(To be clear, I have little problem with true public servants, people who protect the rights & well-being of citizens. It's the one who infringe our rights that annoy me.)

if reason called me through a state where carry was illegal, I'd likely carry regardless, and stand on the 2nd. Granted I'd probably be stopped every three steps by any law enforcement that wanted to harass me about it, but I'd continue nonetheless.
In places like Illinois, NYC, NJ, & much of CA you wouldn't simply be harrassed, you'd be jailed for felonies.
IIRC, it's NJ that charges you with a separate felony for each hollowpoint round in your possession... unless you're a LEO.
It's not right, but that's the current state of affairs.
Now, if you're rich & willing to be a test case to challenge the bad law to SCOTUS, please do.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I read on brief post that IL completely restricts weapons carry? Is that even legal, or constitutional?
Db

I don't think so, and listening to the anti-gun 7th district Q & A it seems as if the court is seeing the light. So we'll see if they rule in favor of gun rights.

Deliveryboi

Welcome aboard.

The search function is your friend. The start box is toward the upper right, above the ads. It'll take you to a second page, & you can fight with the :cuss: captcha.
This thread in the WI forum has some WI-specific info, but LOTS of good general carry & OC info.
PLEASE be sure to watch the "don't talk to police" video at least once. It's long, but valuable.
You could also browse the general discussion board, & your state-specific forum.

FTFY
Bare = adjective: plain, simple, uncovered, naked :shocker:
Bear = noun: a large mammal which poops in the woods
Bear = verb: to carry

Governments tend to do whatever they can get away with, unless & until citizens explain very clearly that those actions are neither correct nor legal & will not be tolerated.
Across the USA, people are slowly waking up & beginning to stand up to wrong-acting government agents of all sorts, at all levels.
(To be clear, I have little problem with true public servants, people who protect the rights & well-being of citizens. It's the one who infringe our rights that annoy me.)

In places like Illinois, NYC, NJ, & much of CA you wouldn't simply be harrassed, you'd be jailed for felonies.
IIRC, it's NJ that charges you with a separate felony for each hollowpoint round in your possession... unless you're a LEO.
It's not right, but that's the current state of affairs.
Now, if you're rich & willing to be a test case to challenge the bad law to SCOTUS, please do.

Thanks bro, very informative =) I appreciate every word. About the only two places I really travel to and from are Idaho *where I currently reside* and Nebraska *where I grew up*, and to my knowledge, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Nebraska are all fairly reasonable about their OC and CC laws. In fact if I recall correctly, when I took my CC class, they gave us a form that showed all the states that our CC would be honored *if we got it*, and it showed that I could literately CC from Boise ID to Lincoln NE through the states mentioned earlier, without any hassles.

I hope no one takes my eager attitude as ignorance or stupidity, I really do think think things through before putting them into action. I just believe that the only way to get things in order the way they should be is to stand up for our rights in the public eye. I haven't got enough knowledge to start spamming officials with letters and such, but I think it would be a great idea to get more organizations and educated people to front operations to get in the public eye, e.g. News interviews, public meetings, so on so forth. I'm aware there are already plenty of these groups, but its hard for a guy not to wonder how many people utilize the right to carry, but are scared to stand up for that right. I'm not sure I trust someone who carry's but won't stand up for the right. Personally that would be like having a bank robbery go down, and having 3 people armed via CC or OC and none of them take initiative, even with prime opportunities.

Who knows, most of ya'll would probably just think me an overly eager young buck *23yo*, but I think regardless of age, one thing stands true. "If you don't stand for somethin, you'll fall for anything"- Aarron Tippin

P.S. My apologies for my lack of proper spelling and grammar usages. I tend to think faster than I can type.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

I'm curious as to why, if our 2nd amendment protects our right to bare arms; how is it possible that any state restrict weapons carry all together. I read on brief post that IL completely restricts weapons carry? Is that even legal, or constitutional? I respect the law, and obey all of them. But I'm also immovable when it comes to my ever growing knowledge of the Constitution, I don't think its right for any man or woman who regularly exercises their rights, to budge in any way. I'd be the type of guy that if reason called me through a state where carry was illegal, I'd likely carry regardless, and stand on the 2nd. Granted I'd probably be stopped every three steps by any law enforcement that wanted to harass me about it, but I'd continue none the less.

Welcome to the forums - lots of rock solid information here from good people.

First, please read the Forum Rules.

"(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts."

Were you to attempt to do as you describe, I would not expect you to be "stopped every three steps by any law enforcement that wanted to harass me about it". I rather would expect that you would be arrested, prosecuted and likely convicted. As a result you could lose your RKBA permanently. Doesn't seem like such a good idea does it?

Second, you have asked many diverse questions involving the laws of different states. It would have been far better (easier to answer) had you asked the individual questions in the state sub-forum to which they apply. I will not attempt to do so here.

Enthusiasm is a good thing and we do welcome those with it. Still you need to personally, responsibly learn as much as you can absorb about the laws. Then learn some more. :D