• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Billings?

jacob_250

I will be coming to visit Billings in the next few weeks and I was wondering about and restrictions of OC Billings might have. I have researched Montana's laws about OC and CC but from my experience some cities like to make ordinances that restrict both.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I will be coming to visit Billings in the next few weeks and I was wondering about and restrictions of OC Billings might have. I have researched Montana's laws about OC and CC but from my experience some cities like to make ordinances that restrict both.

MT has state preemption, so your experience is not accurate unless your only regarding parks. Localities are substantially preempted, but have limited power to prevent and suppress the carrying of concealed or unconcealed weapons to a public assembly, publicly owned building, park under its jurisdiction, or schools. MCA 45-8-351 http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca/45/8/45-8-351.htm

Chances are you can not carry in Billings parks (most cites have ordinances against it), you will want to check billings ordinances to verify.

A good summary of MT laws can be found in this sticky thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98402-Montana-State-Law-Summary

Last edited:

MontanaCZ

Billings will stretch it as far as it can go. Billings is one of the reasons that the MTSSF got a bill passed recently that reaffirms that MT is an OC state, and that preemption is the law. I have not heard of any issues since this bill was passed, but there were more than a few before of people being harassed.