Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applied for permit in Enfield

Applied for permit in Enfield

Hello everyone - new here, been reading some of the threads that outline the permit application process and am wondering, at what point should I start making phone calls inquiring about my pistol permit?

I submitted the paperwork on 8/8, and had an over the phone interview with Detective Cooper of the Enfield PD on 8/27 as part of my background check, etc. He also informed me that he had spoken with my neighbors, parents, and needed to speak with my direct supervisor at my place of employment. Ok, I had signed the disclosure form (to which I find out is additional information not actually needed) so I gave him the contact number. On 8/28 he spoke with my boss, and on 8/29 he contacted me to let me know everything was all set with my background check and he was submitting it to the Chief.

Is there anyone from Enfield who can comment on this or anyone (generally) that could give suggestions on next steps?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Re: Applied for permit in Enfield

Bill,

Looks like Enfield went beyond the requirements for your permit application. There's no section on the states application that states that your neighbors, friends, employers need to be contacted.

Pay the fees, get printed, run standard background check, wait.

I'm sure Rich B. will be chiming in on this abuse of power in Enfield.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by loft View Post

I submitted the paperwork on 8/8, and had an over the phone interview with Detective Cooper of the Enfield PD
    Bill
    Hello & welcome ... just wondering, what type of ? did the detective ask?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JBert View Post
    Bill,

Looks like Enfield went beyond the requirements for your permit application. There's no section on the states application that states that your neighbors, friends, employers need to be contacted. .
    And the DPS form goes beyond what is needed....well beyond. All you need is prints, and the processing fee (not the goofy background fee), your name, address, DOB, maybe section c, section d, and section h. All the rest is poppycock IMO.

Now get ready.....they tell people it takes 14 weeks to get a permit ....

So it has been around 20 days. They had 5 days to get your fingeprints to the SPBI and 1 week once the SPBI returned the background checks to the PD.

So you need to call DESPP and ask for 'records'. Tell them you want to know the date a background check for a pistol permit was sent back to Enfield.

You should try and have the receipts for the money orders you submitted handy.

Any specific issues or questions: rich [at] ctcarry.com
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Thanks for the replies. So when does the timer start "ticking" regarding the eight weeks? I thought it started when I handed in the paperwork. Thankfully my PD accepted personal checks and those were cashed on 8/22 if I remember correctly (I'm at work) -- what is SPBI?

As far as the questions the detective asked, it was really redundant. He asked me the same questions that were present on the temp permit application (799c I believe it is) - asked my mother and boss if I was a loose cannon/responsible to carry a pistol. No idea what he asked my neighbors as I don't really talk to them.

I will see what I can come up with wrt DESPP.

Thanks for the replies. So when does the timer start "ticking" regarding the eight weeks?
    Why do you want to wait 8 weeks? They have 5 days, 1 week as I stated in my post. Waiting 8 weeks is a silly waste of time.

what is SPBI?
    State Police Bureau of Identification.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

I don't want to wait eight weeks, was more a curiosity. The receptionist in records told me it takes up to eight weeks when I turned in the paperwork.

The receptionist in records told me it takes up to eight weeks when I turned in the paperwork.
    That is because she doesn't know what she is talking about and wants you to not bug her.

How nice... Wish I could get away with that at my work...

How nice... Wish I could get away with that at my work...
    Rule #1: Never take legal advice from a LEO. This includes anyone who works for or with LEOs or quotes LEOs.

(Sorry LEOs on the board, but you should agree with this as well honestly.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Rule #1: Never take legal advice from a LEO. This includes anyone who works for or with LEOs or quotes LEOs.

(Sorry LEOs on the board, but you should agree with this as well honestly.)
    Listen to a cop is the surest way of getting in trouble...."sure, you can do that" BUSTED !

I've been extremely swamped with work and real life issues that I haven't had a chance to call, but will be dedicating time tomorrow to start calling. I assume Middletown is where I have to call?

Connecticut State Police
    1111 Country Club Road
    Middletown, CT 06457
    Telephone: 860-685-8190

Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information with you.

Banned

As far as the questions the detective asked, it was really redundant. He asked me the same questions that were present on the temp permit application (799c I believe it is) - asked my mother and boss if I was a loose cannon/responsible to carry a pistol. No idea what he asked my neighbors as I don't really talk to them.
    Its none of their business if you are a "loose cannon" or not. You have your gun rights, they should give you the permit. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Connecticut State Police
    1111 Country Club Road
    Middletown, CT 06457
    Telephone: 860-685-8190

Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information with you.
    Thank you good sir. Your help is appreciated.

Also, is there anything I can reference for the time frames you posted above? Website, etc.

And what would my next action be after calling the DESPP if the info had been sent back past the time frame mentioned?

And what would my next action be after calling the DESPP if the info had been sent back past the time frame mentioned?
    Appeal.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?...92&bfpeNav=%7C

Enfield PD called today and permit is ready for pickup. Got the voicemail just as I picked up my phone to call Middletown.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Enfield PD called today and permit is ready for pickup. Got the voicemail just as I picked up my phone to call Middletown.
    Good deal. Enjoy. I don't think you filed an appeal, but if you did, please call BFPE and tell them you wish to withdraw.

I wrote the letter and printed thinking I would have to send it, but alas - I didn't have to. Now to choose my first pistol... seeing as there are several that I want lol.

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it.

Banned
    I wrote the letter and printed thinking I would have to send it, but alas - I didn't have to. Now to choose my first pistol... seeing as there are several that I want lol.

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it.

Nice you got your permit....I would recommend a 357 but that's just me ... never had that jam ever. Pistols, once in a blue moon...

I just like revolvers ... but I have some pistols.

I was leaning towards a Walther PPS. The only thing that has me on the fence is the backstrap issue that some have. Do I have to wait to buy a pistol after getting my state permit?

I was leaning towards a Walther PPS. The only thing that has me on the fence is the backstrap issue that some have. Do I have to wait to buy a pistol after getting my state permit?
    No, you can go straight from Middletown to the store and make your purchase....I just got rid of a Walther, was not happy with it at all, have you rented one or shot one somewhere yet?
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Quote Originally Posted by brk913 View Post
    No, you can go straight from Middletown to the store and make your purchase....I just got rid of a Walther, was not happy with it at all, have you rented one or shot one somewhere yet?
    I've shot quite a few different pistols. Walther, S&W, ISSC, Ruger, (couple others I don't remember the name) and Glock. Absolutely hated the grip on the Glock but the rest were nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast