• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applied for permit in Enfield

loft

Hello everyone - new here, been reading some of the threads that outline the permit application process and am wondering, at what point should I start making phone calls inquiring about my pistol permit?

I submitted the paperwork on 8/8, and had an over the phone interview with Detective Cooper of the Enfield PD on 8/27 as part of my background check, etc. He also informed me that he had spoken with my neighbors, parents, and needed to speak with my direct supervisor at my place of employment. Ok, I had signed the disclosure form (to which I find out is additional information not actually needed) so I gave him the contact number. On 8/28 he spoke with my boss, and on 8/29 he contacted me to let me know everything was all set with my background check and he was submitting it to the Chief.

Is there anyone from Enfield who can comment on this or anyone (generally) that could give suggestions on next steps?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

JBert

Bill,

Looks like Enfield went beyond the requirements for your permit application. There's no section on the states application that states that your neighbors, friends, employers need to be contacted.

Pay the fees, get printed, run standard background check, wait.

I'm sure Rich B. will be chiming in on this abuse of power in Enfield.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Bill,

Looks like Enfield went beyond the requirements for your permit application. There's no section on the states application that states that your neighbors, friends, employers need to be contacted. .

And the DPS form goes beyond what is needed....well beyond. All you need is prints, and the processing fee (not the goofy background fee), your name, address, DOB, maybe section c, section d, and section h. All the rest is poppycock IMO.

Now get ready.....they tell people it takes 14 weeks to get a permit ....

Rich B

So it has been around 20 days. They had 5 days to get your fingeprints to the SPBI and 1 week once the SPBI returned the background checks to the PD.

So you need to call DESPP and ask for 'records'. Tell them you want to know the date a background check for a pistol permit was sent back to Enfield.

You should try and have the receipts for the money orders you submitted handy.

Any specific issues or questions: rich [at] ctcarry.com

loft

Thanks for the replies. So when does the timer start "ticking" regarding the eight weeks? I thought it started when I handed in the paperwork. Thankfully my PD accepted personal checks and those were cashed on 8/22 if I remember correctly (I'm at work) -- what is SPBI?

As far as the questions the detective asked, it was really redundant. He asked me the same questions that were present on the temp permit application (799c I believe it is) - asked my mother and boss if I was a loose cannon/responsible to carry a pistol. No idea what he asked my neighbors as I don't really talk to them.

I will see what I can come up with wrt DESPP.

loft

I don't want to wait eight weeks, was more a curiosity. The receptionist in records told me it takes up to eight weeks when I turned in the paperwork.

loft

How nice... Wish I could get away with that at my work...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Rule #1: Never take legal advice from a LEO. This includes anyone who works for or with LEOs or quotes LEOs.

(Sorry LEOs on the board, but you should agree with this as well honestly.)

Listen to a cop is the surest way of getting in trouble...."sure, you can do that" BUSTED !:eek:

loft

I've been extremely swamped with work and real life issues that I haven't had a chance to call, but will be dedicating time tomorrow to start calling. I assume Middletown is where I have to call?

davidmcbeth

Banned
As far as the questions the detective asked, it was really redundant. He asked me the same questions that were present on the temp permit application (799c I believe it is) - asked my mother and boss if I was a loose cannon/responsible to carry a pistol. No idea what he asked my neighbors as I don't really talk to them.

Its none of their business if you are a "loose cannon" or not. You have your gun rights, they should give you the permit. Period.

loft

Connecticut State Police
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Telephone: 860-685-8190

Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information with you.

Thank you good sir. Your help is appreciated. :)

Also, is there anything I can reference for the time frames you posted above? Website, etc.

loft

And what would my next action be after calling the DESPP if the info had been sent back past the time frame mentioned?

loft

Enfield PD called today and permit is ready for pickup. Got the voicemail just as I picked up my phone to call Middletown. :)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2