• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first encounter - East Wenatchee Safeway

HandyHamlet

I guess I didn't see the point in being a complete jerk to the guy.
Who said anything about getting into a fight with or being a jerk to a power tripping lair who thinks he is Supreme Lord of some crap store? The guy was a jerk to our fellow forum member.

There is no constitutional issue here.

No one said there was. I pointed out my Right is more important to me than getting some stuff at a store that treats me like ****. In other words, if the jack load came up to me and told me some BS story about scared customers I would not spend a dime there. Nor even attempt a conversation as there is no point.

FrayedString

I have been out of town all week for work, as I indicated earlier. Since this would make following up with the day manager directly difficult to accomplish, I opted to fill out the customer comment form on Safeway.com over the weekend before leaving town. I got a reply this afternoon that is essentially a straight copy/paste of the reply that was sent in 2010 that is posted on NWCDL with the names changed to reflect myself and the management of the East Wenatchee store. I assume this means the issue should be resolved and there should be no future issues. Hooray!

-Alan

deanf

Let me spell it out for you. Don't spend money in a store that p$sses on your 2nd A right.

Next time I'll use crayon for you.

You don't have to be insulting. That's a violation of the rules.

I've seen no evidence that Safeway is ******* on anyone's right. When inside the store, you do not remain there by virtue of any rights. You are there by license. Rights are left at the door.

Again, it is legally improper to argue this particular case from a 2nd Amendment standpoint. (Or has the 2nd Amendment been incorporated against Safeway, and I missed it?)

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Uh, say what? How was a ******* contest avoided exactly. He was bullied by an employee and capitulated to asinine demands. All while happily giving up his hard earned cash as a reward for being hassled and lied to. Even though he knew he was in the right.

What's more important? A few bucks worth of stuff and feeding the ego of a retard or your Right guaranteed under the Constitution?

If you read my comment completely in context and know what a contest entails (mainly, TWO contestants) you'll realize that he did, indeed avoid a ******* contest by keeping his cool. He'll also get better mileage with a follow up because of it. Had he lost his temper the outcome might have been entirely different, up to and including being arrested for violation of 9.41.270.

In other words, he handled the situation well under the circumstances as presented.

TheGunMan

I agree

If you read my comment completely in context and know what a contest entails (mainly, TWO contestants) you'll realize that he did, indeed avoid a ******* contest by keeping his cool. He'll also get better mileage with a follow up because of it. Had he lost his temper the outcome might have been entirely different, up to and including being arrested for violation of 9.41.270.

In other words, he handled the situation well under the circumstances as presented.

I agree. He handled it well.

sudden valley gunner

Where did I say I would not leave? I said I would leave, and I would also leave the merchandise, and I would make sure that the person's employer was informed that they had exceeded their authority....re-read my post.

My comments were directed at your post I apologize if it seemed so.

OC for ME

I do believe you are mostly wrong here. It is well known that this persons employer (Safeway) says that their stores will follow whatever the state law is...therefore, the manager was going beyond his authority and the carry was legit.

It would be exactly the same if someone asked you to leave Starbucks, Home Depot or Wal-Mart...I don't care who it is, the corporate policy overrules all of the underlings.

Personally, I would have left the merchandise there, probably would have given it to the manager...along with a notice that I would be talking to his boss in the morning and I would expect a PUBLIC apoligy before I would spend one more cent in any Safeway.
If it were "illegal" to violate company policy I'm sure he would not have violated company policy, but it is not illegal to violate company policy.