• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

interesting thread on ar15.com

Lasjayhawk

I came across this thread on ar15 dot com:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/13..._weapon__but_states_say_I_cannot_.html&page=1

"One of the gods of Germanic Paganism, Odin, says:
"Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
For unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without."
In other words: Don't leave home without a weapon; you never know when you might need it.

This is pretty clear. Carry a "weapon of war" at all times. If I do not, I am not following Odin's instructions. If I die because I was foolishly unarmed, I may not be invited to his (or Freja's) hall for failing to heed these words. How I die is a very important part of my beliefs."

So I was thinking, could a business that is not carry friendly legally ask this person to leave or be trespassed? Before you answer, look at NRS 651.050 3 (a) through (o) {defining public accommodations} and then NRS 651.070:

NRS 651.070 All persons entitled to equal enjoyment of places of public accommodation. All persons are entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression.
(Added to NRS by 1965, 689; A 1969, 587; 1991, 1028; 2009, 717; 2011, 876)

Now I will add this is a thought experiment, I assume the poster is practicing Germanic Neopaganism, not Germanic Paganism. At least I hope..IIRC Germanic Paganism included some human sacrifices. :eek:

Nevada carrier

I like the way you think sir!

Without making any conclusions based on your thought experiment I would predict that should someone test your hypothesis, the police would likely enforce the trespass on the grounds that your claim of religious protection would have to be heard in civil court.

What I suggest to initiate this test would be to make your religious views known publicly in various forums, Facebook, a bumper sticker, t-shirt and allow enough time to pass for people your interact with regularly to have a fond recollection of your expressed religious views. Visit a public place known to be hostile to your religious expression. You must then document (audio/video) their infringement upon your status as a member of a protected class and initiate a civil action on those grounds. From there you must resist the temptation to accept a settlement (it will not admit any liability), a judge/jury must render a judgement, you must also demonstrate, on cross examination by the plaintiff, a thorough understanding of the beliefs in which you claim to hold that are germane to your faith; i.e. a thorough knowledge of your religious doctrine, not just one obscure quote from a key historical figure.

It's not over, you haven't won by any stretch of the imagination. Should you be victorious in your civil action the plaintiff will almost certainly appeal all the way to the state supreme court. This will be the decision that really matters, and it will cost you an arm and three legs to fallow this through.

Last edited: