• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

K-5 NRA safety course

BFDMikeCT

A friend of Mine just took his basic pistole course at K-5 in Milford. They taught the class that CT is a concealed carry state. Thought someone might be able to set them straight on this.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Who was the instructor?

Its a reason why I don't see the requirement for NRA courses to be deemed mandatory.

Since I have never been to a class I have no idea what is covered. Basic gun safety I assume ... which everyone would learn on their own (or shoot themselves and the gene pool is stronger afterwards) ... questions of law being covered? An instructor is not the person to ask really ... a look at the statues and case law is the way to understand the law.

But I would think a basic basic question as to what type of carry is allowed would be something anyone who carries would know and have fully examined.

GoldCoaster

His first mistake was going into that store at all. I've been in there once, and that was all it took to show me that they are a clueless bunch who don't deserve your business. Especially when you have a really good store just up route 1 (CT Tactical) who don't treat you like an idiot.

Shawn Mitola

I went into K-5 one day while I was OC and the guy behind the counter joked and said "Hey you've got one of those gun things on your hip". I chuckled and then he proceeded to ask me if I was sure I could legally do that. Like he was testing to see if I knew the law. So I bit and explained that yes OC is perfectly legal in CT. He then gave me the usual line about "Yeah it's legal but your just going to get your balls broken by the cops all the time and run the risk of getting arrested" I laughed at him and asked him the question I was in there for and when he didnt have what I wanted I left. I won't be going back.

CTSurvivor

I open carried a few weeks ago while in K5. No people working there said a thing to me.

If Brian is still teaching classes there then that explains why an instructor is telling people OC is illegal.

I've had my fair share of battles correcting very misinformed instructors about that. One in particular was teaching in BPT shooting range also with the same name. He told me he had arrested people for OCing being a retired cop. I told him he was lucky he never ran into me or any members of the CCDL.