Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Police officer shot on north side

Milwaukee Police officer shot on north side

http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news...169757076.html

I pray the officer has a quick recovery and the two criminals (who have lengthy criminal careers) get the book thrown at them finally.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news...169757076.html

I pray the officer has a quick recovery and the two criminals (who have lengthy criminal careers) get the book thrown at them finally.
    Why wasn't the book thrown on them long time ago?

I know what you mean, but when I see:
    Milwaukee police officer shot on north side
    I wonder where on the body that is.

As for them finally being kept in jail/prison for a while, if police can convince a jury that they harmed an officer it'll probably happen.

when they arrived they encountered two suspects who began arguing with the officers.
    That led to a physical struggle
    Arguing (might or might not have actually been an argument; all we're getting is the winner's side) led to fighting (you can imagine my thoughts on that), which led to an officer being shot?
    It's not right that he's injured, but I want more information.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 09-16-2012 at 10:23 AM.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    "She also said a relative captured the incident on video that was confiscated by police."

How is this allowed to continue?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/169742446.html

More reports of witnesses and video.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were other neighbors who also got video?

The two suspects in custody are 24- and 39-years-old and both have arrest records.
    Big whoopte-do.
    An arrest record doesn't necessarily mean that the person actually did anything wrong.
    (Go ahead, ask me how I know.)
    If they'd been convicted of anything, or spent time in jail/prison, that might be a bit more convincing (except that I know people who have been wrongfully convicted).

"The police actually have my son down on the ground... He was not resisting arrest. From what the videotape shows is how the police started beating him in the head."
    That sounds awfully familiar... Isn't that what happened with the Lamborghini (sp?) guy?
    Luckily, there were too many bystanders for the police to be able to take all their phones, so that video got out.

Milwaukee Police Assistant Chief Patrick Mitchell
    He's been in trouble before, too. Cost the city some money to settle lawsuits.
    Wonder why the article didn't mention that?
    Last edited by MKEgal; 09-16-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Banned
    "Our investigation shows the suspect while armed with the weapon of Milwaukee police officer discharged the weapon one time striking the officer in the leg," said Milwaukee Police Assistant Chief Patrick Mitchell during a press conference Friday.

The two suspects in custody are 24- and 39-years-old and both have arrest records.

Their family claims that the officers attacked them and that one of those officers accidentally shot himself. They say cell phone video taken of the incident corroborates these claims.

"The police actually have my son down on the ground," said Jacqueline Cole, who is the mother of the 24-year-old suspect and the sister of the 39-year-old suspect. "He was not resisting arrest. From what the videotape shows is how the police started beating him in the head."

Sounds like we have 2 conflicting stories ... should the police be able to take witness videos (as "evidence" as the po po states?). I don't think that they should be able to do this under our 1st amendment rights. They should have to ask a judge and get a warrant and allow copies to be made.

Citizens are under no obligation to make evidence for the police but citizens are allowed to video tape government activites.

And arrest records? Does not impress me ... show me convictions, not arrests. Innocent until proven guilty. How many on this board have been arrested and had charges either dropped or found not guilty in court?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sounds like we have 2 conflicting stories ... should the police be able to take witness videos (as "evidence" as the po po states?). I don't think that they should be able to do this under our 1st amendment rights. They should have to ask a judge and get a warrant and allow copies to be made.
    There is no "should" about it. Police need a warrant to seize cell phones and cameras. Multiple cities around the country have been forced to publicly release new policy with regards to cameras and phones over the last few years. However this has had no positive effect on the war on photography and the Constitution. Philanderin' Flynn's Keystone "troops" are a prime example.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-17-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    There is no "should" about it. Police need a warrant to seize cell phones and cameras. Multiple cities around the country have been forced to publicly release new policy with regards to cameras and phones over the last few years. However this has had no positive effect on the war on photography and the Constitution. Philanderin' Flynn's Keystone "troops" are a prime example.
    Any cite on this? And I agree, has had limited effect on our first amendment rights .... some, but very little ... nowhere near where it should be. Cops take them now as "evidence" .. before it was just "gimme gimme gimme"

Any cite on this?
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co..._14_2012_0.pdf

US Department of Justice
    Civil Rights division
    Special Litigation Section - PHB

DJ-207-35-10 (google for PDF file)

Mary E. Borja
    Wiley Rein LLP

May 14, 2012

Re: Christopher Sharp vs Baltimore City Police Dept, et. al.

page 5
    Section 2 - Guidance on Right to Record Police Activity
    Subsection B - Policies should describe the range of prohibited responses to individuals observing or recording the police.

(paragraph 1)
    "... policies should instruct officers that, except under limited circumstances, officers must not search or seize a camera or recording device without a warrant."

(paragraph 2)
    "Policies should prohibit officers from destroying recording devices or cameras and deleting recordings or photographs under any circumstances. In addition to violating the First Amendment, police officers violate the core requirements of the Fourth Amendment procedural due process clause when they irrevocably deprive individuals of their recording devices without first providing notice and an opportunity to object. "
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Banned
    Abraham Lincoln

Abe was not the best source for quoting .. a guy who suspended our constitutional rights whenever is was best for himself

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Abraham Lincoln

Abe was not the best source for quoting .. a guy who suspended our constitutional rights whenever is was best for himself
    Regardless of who said it, it does fit the current thinking. A signature line is a matter of personal choice/opinion and a user should not be criticized for exercising that. Jus' sayin'
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

"Yes officer I will provide you a copy for your investigation in a reasonable time" "no you may not seize my property"
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    "Yes officer I will provide you a copy for your investigation..."
    "...IMMEDIATELY after receiving the subpoena..."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    here's the question. Are you willing to be thrown in jail for not handing it over?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    here's the question. Are you willing to be thrown in jail for not handing it over?
    And then win a big settlement against the municipality for stealing your property and violating your 4A rights?

Banned
    [url]"
    Thanks. Much appreciated.

Keep the Faith!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    big settlement ?
    Most judges won't allow "big settlements" ... take a jury trial every time .. but juries are scared of the police...

Incorrect, police may seize the phone as evidence in this case. They would get a search warrant for the contents of the phone (the video).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LESGTINCT View Post
    Incorrect, police may seize the phone as evidence in this case. They would get a search warrant for the contents of the phone (the video).
    Thank you for clarifying that. You are indeed correct.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Assuming you are actually given the option of willingly handing it over.

Most judges won't allow "big settlements" ... take a jury trial every time .. but juries are scared of the police...
    Usually doesn't get that far. Here's a relatively high profile case. Is $100,000 a big settlement for getting your face bashed in? I don't know...

http://vimeo.com/27026719

http://www.lvrj.com/news/las-vegas-p...143726156.html

Well, if the camera was the instrument used to shoot the police officer in his north side the cops wouldn't need a warrant as stated in the DOJ thingy posted above. Since a firearm was used to shoot the officer and not a camera you would be mistaken. They can't take your camera. They need a warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by PolkaJoe View Post
    Thank you for clarifying that. You are indeed correct.
    Say what? An incorrect opinion with nothing to back it up is hardly clarification.

Cite?
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-19-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Founder's Club Member
    Which is the north side of a police officer?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

The side he was shot in.

Thank you, here all week.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Do you have a site for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast