• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Landlords restricting firearms and weapons in apartments.

Difdi

Ask them if this includes kitchen knives, ball-peen hammers, and automobiles, all of which can be used as weapons. In fact, more people are killed annually in hit-and-runs in the US than with firearms, by about 6 times (someone fact-check me here please). Advise them that if they want to make the complex safe, cars should certainly not be allowed on the property, including theirs.

This. I don't think landlords read the things they add to lease terms very well. They try to cover all the bases without realizing how many bases they have.

For example, the wording of my current lease prohibits me from having a stove, oven, baseboard heater, water heater and even electric light fixtures in my apartment, despite the fact that all of those things are hard-wired into the apartment and are owned by the landlord. By the letter of the lease, I am required to remove all of them from my apartment (even though doing so would cause thousands of dollars in damage to the apartment) or be subject to eviction. I would also be subject to eviction if I complied with the lease terms for doing that degree of damage to the place. In order to have any of those things within the terms of the lease, I must secure prior written consent from the landlord, and if I lack such consent, in writing, prior to installing or simply possessing the prohibited items, consent will not be granted.

It's utterly insane, but it's right there in writing.

Grim_Night

The defendant has been served and the judge has issued his orders regarding discovery and depositions as well as an order regarding initial disclosures, joint status report and early settlement. The defendant has 21 days as of yesterday to respond to the summons and complaint. Again, if anyone has access to the federal court documents, everything is accessible to the public.