• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Landlords restricting firearms and weapons in apartments.

Grim_Night

Got ahold of a lawyer today. He gave me some advice and said that he would represent me if needed and help me with getting a cease and desist order as well as an injunction if needed. Said that if GLMH and MDC did something stupid like try to do a search warrant search of my apartment, he'd be more then happy to sue the hell out of them and get me enough money to take a couple vacations in the bahamas lol... As far as the 10 day comply or vacate notice, the lawyer said I was under no obligation to comply with an illegal order and told me that the burden of proof was on them. I don't have to prove anything to them. :D Feels good to finally have somebody backing me up for a change reguarding this situation (not counting people on these forums lol).

Talked to the "owner" of MDC today as well. She told me that because they receive federal funds, they are considered federal property and guns were not allowed... I couldn't help but laugh... *facepalm* Got a letter from MDC reguarding them changing their rules at my complex as of december 1st 2012 to not allowing weapons of any kind on the property. After talking with the lawyer, all I can do is shake my head and sigh at their ignorance at this point.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Got ahold of a lawyer today. He gave me some advice and said that he would represent me if needed and help me with getting a cease and desist order as well as an injunction if needed. Said that if GLMH and MDC did something stupid like try to do a search warrant search of my apartment, he'd be more then happy to sue the hell out of them and get me enough money to take a couple vacations in the bahamas lol... As far as the 10 day comply or vacate notice, the lawyer said I was under no obligation to comply with an illegal order and told me that the burden of proof was on them. I don't have to prove anything to them. :D Feels good to finally have somebody backing me up for a change reguarding this situation (not counting people on these forums lol).

Talked to the "owner" of MDC today as well. She told me that because they receive federal funds, they are considered federal property and guns were not allowed... I couldn't help but laugh... *facepalm* Got a letter from MDC reguarding them changing their rules at my complex as of december 1st 2012 to not allowing weapons of any kind on the property. After talking with the lawyer, all I can do is shake my head and sigh at their ignorance at this point.

So you must have called Clear Legal to get an attorney pro bono, good.
Stop calling MDC as all it is doing is creating more conflict, you know their position and what your attorney told you, let it move along and let their attorney or the Judge put it straight to them.

Grim_Night

So you must have called Clear Legal to get an attorney pro bono, good.
Stop calling MDC as all it is doing is creating more conflict, you know their position and what your attorney told you, let it move along and let their attorney or the Judge put it straight to them.

nope, I called SAF again, told them what was going on and they referred me to a local lawyer that deals with 2A related issues. And I make the calls to GLMH and MDC because if I can actually manage to convince them that the information I am trying to tell them or get them to look the stuff up themselves is accurate, I might be able to save some money in lawyer fees. I'm actually trying to save the legal fight as a last ditch effort.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
nope, I called SAF again, told them what was going on and they referred me to a local lawyer that deals with 2A related issues. And I make the calls to GLMH and MDC because if I can actually manage to convince them that the information I am trying to tell them or get them to look the stuff up themselves is accurate, I might be able to save some money in lawyer fees. I'm actually trying to save the legal fight as a last ditch effort.

http://www.tacomaprobono.org/ This is to receive FREE ATTORNEY help (pro bono) for low income people as you say you are, stop being so stubborn and actually look into it.
This is now a landlord tenant issue and not a firearms issue.

If you have not convinced them yet it is highly likely you will not as they are cited what anti gun groups try.

[h=3]Do you have a legal issue in Pierce County but no money to hire an attorney?[/h]
Download your copy of our updated 2012 program brochure!
If you are low-income you can make a toll-free phone call to get legal advice and referral to volunteer resources in Pierce County. Call the Northwest Justice Project's CLEAR line at 1-888-201-1014 (line open 9:15-12:15 M-F). 'CLEAR' stands for 'Coordinated Legal Education, Advice & Referral.' The number will be very busy so be prepared to take some time for the call. Over 60? Call CLEAR Sr., 1-888-387-7111 You must meet income eligibility requirements for most programs, including CLEAR and the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Program. There is no income eligibility screening for CLEAR, Sr.
You can now access CLEAR online! CLICK HERE to complete the CLEAR*Online application.
Not eligible for low-income legal services? CLICK HERE to find out whether you are eligible for referral to an attorney through the Washington State Bar Association's Moderate Means Program.
For more information about receiving help with civil legal issues in Pierce County when you cannot afford to hire an attorney, call (253) 572-5134 or e-mail vls@tacomaprobono.org

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
CLEAR must be helping folks, but the three other families that I know have also not been the right ones for CLEAR to help.

I have known a couple who they did help and one that they would not.
What I walked away with was that Clear will help if they (meaning the attorney you are referred to) as you fit their view point and another reason why I stated this is a landlord tenant issue not a firearms issue as he is being evicted unlawfully and it is very possible Grim drove home the issue of firearms and they passed.

Grim still stands a good chance to be ruled in his favor even with out an attorney and let this takes it course but stop helping the opposition by telling them everything he knows, it is like playing football and showing the defense your play book and what play you are going to call.

Stick to the facts and laws, take his copy of the lease and cites from Washington State Landlord Tenant Act and Federal ruling on housing and then step up to the bat and take and swing for the fences, but for crying out loud stop showing your hand.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

I have known a couple who they did help and one that they would not.
What I walked away with was that Clear will help if they (meaning the attorney you are referred to) as you fit their view point and another reason why I stated this is a landlord tenant issue not a firearms issue as he is being evicted unlawfully and it is very possible Grim drove home the issue of firearms and they passed.

Grim still stands a good chance to be ruled in his favor even with out an attorney and let this takes it course but stop helping the opposition by telling them everything he knows, it is like playing football and showing the defense your play book and what play you are going to call.

Stick to the facts and laws, take his copy of the lease and cites from Washington State Landlord Tenant Act and Federal ruling on housing and then step up to the bat and take and swing for the fences, but for crying out loud stop showing your hand.

I am not being evicted. I am being threatened with eviction if I don't follow the 10 day notice to comply or vacate. The notice says that I must remove a weapon from the property that they don't even have proof of it's existence. As for me actually having to comply. Lawyer told me today that I in fact do not have to comply with any illegal rule or demand put forth by either GLMH or HUD. He made the case very simple. If they try to evict me, he'll deal with it and throw them under the bus. If they search my apartment, he'll sue the hell out of them.

I'm not showing my hand lol. The call I made today to the owner of MDC was strictly in reguards to the letter I received today. I simply asked her if this was set in stone or if she was willing to discuss the issue. She basically told me her mind was made up and the only thing that I could do was take legal action.

Trigger Dr

I am not being evicted. I am being threatened with eviction if I don't follow the 10 day notice to comply or vacate. The notice says that I must remove a weapon from the property that they don't even have proof of it's existence. As for me actually having to comply. Lawyer told me today that I in fact do not have to comply with any illegal rule or demand put forth by either GLMH or HUD. He made the case very simple. If they try to evict me, he'll deal with it and throw them under the bus. If they search my apartment, he'll sue the hell out of them.

I'm not showing my hand lol. The call I made today to the owner of MDC was strictly in reguards to the letter I received today. I simply asked her if this was set in stone or if she was willing to discuss the issue. She basically told me her mind was made up and the only thing that I could do was take legal action.

She is bluffing with the suggestion you take legal action. She obviously has delt with low income people with no ability to fight her demands.
If you go to court, showing your evidence is mandatory through discovery. If you are fighting this on your own you are a fool to give them your evidence. Follow what Big Dave has posted. ( I can't believe I just posted this)

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Stick to your guns, Grim. (Pun intended)

You are completely in the right, here. You have a lawyer to back you and he'll get his from them. The law is on your side, so let her take you to court if she dares to. You'll OWN her.

Cubex DE

She told me that because they receive federal funds, they are considered federal property and guns were not allowed...

We already know from dealing with federally insured financial institutions that this is not true. Ask her if the federal government owns her property, or if she owns it. Technically I am receiving "state funds" in the form of unemployment security benefits, but that doesn't mean my property is owned by Washington.

Got a letter from MDC reguarding them changing their rules at my complex as of december 1st 2012 to not allowing weapons of any kind on the property.

Ask them if this includes kitchen knives, ball-peen hammers, and automobiles, all of which can be used as weapons. In fact, more people are killed annually in hit-and-runs in the US than with firearms, by about 6 times (someone fact-check me here please). Advise them that if they want to make the complex safe, cars should certainly not be allowed on the property, including theirs.

Grim_Night

Only reason I posted the PDF is because the whole thing is public record as of yesterday anyway. If anybody has access to the files at the federal court, they can read everything that was included with the complaint.

Grim_Night

Well, just checked my mail today and the same judge that denied my motion for IFP in September has now granted the same motion. The defendant in my case will now be served with a summons! :banana: My case is definitely moving forward. With current case law regarding this issue, the defendant has NO plausible defense for their actions.