• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro gun rape survivor and author Paxton Quigley goes ANTI

paramedic70002

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...f-defense-expert-paxton-quigley-says-yes.html

She is quick to say that she is not advocating assault weapons. Following the recent tragedy in Colorado, in which the shooter reportedly bought 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the Internet, then used weapons including a shotgun, a pistol, and a semiautomatic rifle to kill 12 people and injure dozens more, Quigley says she believes assault weapons should be banned and that ammunition should not be sold online.

Jack House

I guess then she should hand over her pistols and rifles. I'll trade her some flintlocks for her weapons.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Damn. I've been recommending this woman's books for the past 15+ years. I need to check this out to make sure she wasn't taken out of context somehow, but that sure didn't sound good.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What she wrote still has worth. But from now on when I mention her book I'm going to have to add that later in life she slipped the track and Zumbo'd herself big time.

Somehow it's beginning to look like a fair number of "The Friends of RKBA" are closet Fudds. As much as what they say hurts the cause, I am glad to find out the whole truth.

stay safe.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Whoa there, everyone! Let's not throw Paxton out with the dirty Hoppes #9 gun-cleaning solution!

It seems she still is pretty much pro-gun -- except for the "assault rifle and a whole lot of ammo -- who needs that?" disagreement. But heck, lots of "gun people" disagree on some things, too...such as some CCers being "anti" OCing, right? Do we kick them out of the fold, too?

So I'm just saying let's not rush to condemn her because of her stand on so-called "assault rifles." Someone needs to sit down with her and explain why owning one of those "assault rifles" -- like when your neighborhood is burning down with roaming gangs of savages about during a natural or man-made disaster (doesn't matter the cause) -- an "assault rifle" is EXACTLY what you DO need! They DO have their place. Paxton might just be too focused (tunnel-vision) on her own area of concern -- women & their self-defense needs (handguns) -- and consequently is missing the bigger picture.

As for criminals/gangs/psycho-shooters using "assault rifles," that should never be reason to ban decent citizens from owning them. Yeah, I know that's what happened back in the 1930s (1920s?) when criminals using the Thompson machine gun ruined it for everyone else owning one, but it's stupid thing to do: Blaming an inantimate object for its misuse! Rather, get the people MISUSING a particular object instead of hitting EVERYONE with a ban...which, as we all here know, STILL won't stop criminals & psycho-shooters from getting a hold of one anyway.

Getting back to Paxton, however, let's not be too hasty judging her.

Now if Paxton joins Gloria Allred over there on the Huffington Post, then that's a horse of a different color!

But I don't see her EVER going that far...

[EDIT] P.S. I thought of another example of gun-owners being so myopic: How about all those HUNTERS (30million+ at least) who traditinally, don't get involved in gun legislation efforts if it doesn't impact HUNTING? They couldn't care less about the RKBA/Self-Defense (guns, CCing, OCing or other gun issues)...as long as they can HUNT. Heck, most of that group don't belong to any pro-gun organization, let alone the NRA. Can you imagine how much more influenctial the NRA would be if those 30million+ HUNTERS joined? And then you have paper-punchers/target-shooters...that's all THEY care about. At least Paxton is still more closely-related to those of us here...

Last edited:

KBCraig

Remember, she started out as an Anti. When a lady friend of hers was raped in her own home, she became convinced of the right to keep a gun for self defense. Accepting self defense as justification doesn't mean she accepts the true basis of the Second.

OC4me

Remember, she started out as an Anti. When a lady friend of hers was raped in her own home, she became convinced of the right to keep a gun for self defense. Accepting self defense as justification doesn't mean she accepts the true basis of the Second.

To correct the original post title, it was indeed her friend that was raped, not Paxton herself personally. Anyway, it is far better to contact Paxton directly with a friendly letter helping to explain why she and her fellow female friends may find themselves in 'need' of semi-automatic rifle, standard capacity (what the media calls high-capacity) magazines as well as ammo stockpiles. I believe that would be the much more sensible approach than throwing her under the Fudd-bus.

papa bear

What is an "assault rifle" and how much is too much ammo? :confused:
smile.png
:banana:

Last edited:

paramedic70002

So, if I am a publicly known gun rights figure and I go on record that no one needs or should own firearms for hunting, since meat is available in the store, and hunting is not what the 2A is for, hunting is no longer necessary for survival, and shooting a wild animal is cruel, and so on, but I fully support the RKBA otherwise a la handguns for SD, "assault rifles," fully automatic machine guns, and high capacity magazines, how many would jump on my butt for being an anti?

bigdaddy1

+1

Jack House

So, if I am a publicly known gun rights figure and I go on record that no one needs or should own firearms for hunting, since meat is available in the store, and hunting is not what the 2A is for, hunting is no longer necessary for survival, and shooting a wild animal is cruel, and so on, but I fully support the RKBA otherwise a la handguns for SD, "assault rifles," fully automatic machine guns, and high capacity magazines, how many would jump on my butt for being an anti?
I would jump on your ass for trying to take my venison away.
s2LyR.png
mzOdr.png

Beretta92FSLady

It's funny to watch pro-gunners drop someone because they believe in certain types of restrictions. So she has an opinion. Personally, I think that nutjobs ought not be permitted to own firearms, since that exercise in futility isn't worth it, I will just practice, practice, practice.

It's unfortunate that there are people out there who suffer great harm before they start embracing things like gun ownership, and self-defense.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Anyway, it is far better to contact Paxton directly with a friendly letter helping to explain why she and her fellow female friends may find themselves in 'need' of semi-automatic rifle, standard capacity (what the media calls high-capacity) magazines as well as ammo stockpiles. I believe that would be the much more sensible approach than throwing her under the Fudd-bus.
I nominate Cloudcraft.

He appears to have confidence that he can "speak her language".

Cloudcraft?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Yes...I vote for "cloudcraft" also -- whoever that is.

As for me, however, Paxton's personal gun opinions are not of sufficient import or interest for me to devote the time, effort and persuasive oratory it may require to change them to any degree. Besides, some people here don't like some of MY gun opinions, either. So what.

Furthermore, since I am already quite busy as "Retired Guy" -- and in secret negotiations with a toy company to produce an action-figure of the same name (with his sidekick action-figure named "Drinking Buddy") -- I'll need to leave "educating Paxton" to someone else here...perhaps BB62 -- as it was his/her idea to contact Paxton -- or maybe even "cloudcraft," whoever that is.

:)