• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bernilillo County Sherrif

LESGTINCT

I ran across this encounter with BCSO and couldn't find any comments in this forum. I hope somebody can shed some light on it for me. Does anyone else have any comments about the BCSO?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp4gxTebjsE&NR=1&feature=endscreen

I am also aware that the you-tube video was posted 1 year ago but knowing NM I doubt if much would have changed.

I just watched your video. As a SGT. in CT with 18 years as a LEO I am embarrassed at this sad display. The SGT. in the video knows he has nothing that is why he keeps asking for ID. To watch him go round and round with you for ID is unbelievable. The SGT says to you what happens if a shooting occurrs? As LEO we can not be responsible for predicting and preventing crimes that may or may not happen by detaining or arresting innocent citizens. That's like detaining or arresting everyone at a bar because they might DWI. OC is, in of itself, legal and if other people don't like it then they need to leave the area. LEO can not make something that is legal, illegal because other people are alarmed by it. I might not like body piercings, tattoos, and pink hair, and I might even be scared of you because of it, but that does not mean a LEO can detain or arrest someone that has it.

vermonter

As a SGT. in CT with 18 years as a LEO I am embarrassed at this sad display. The SGT. in the video knows he has nothing that is why he keeps asking for ID. LEO can not make something that is legal, illegal because other people are alarmed by it. I might not like body piercings, tattoos, and pink hair, and I might even be scared of you because of it, but that does not mean a LEO can detain or arrest someone that has it.

In New Mexico this is true, and you are right - the OC'er did nothing wrong and stop and ID was not warranted . In CT it is my understanding it is a LICENSED ONLY OC state and as such someone performing OC must have a license to do so. If someone CALLS 911 about OC and an officer responds in CT the officer is investigating that call. The officer performing an investigation has a right to ask if the OC to produce a license, am I correct? In Vermont there is no such law and unless the officer is investigating the OC'er for some other issue he/she should not stop and ID merely for OC even if there is a 911 CALL since OC w/o a license is NOT unlawful.

Most of the problem lies with 911 dispatch.

In Vermont it should be handled this way:

Caller: There is a MWAG a Walmart
911: What is he doing?
Caller: Walking around with it in a holster.
911: It is not illegal to do that in Vermont - can I help you with some other issue?
Caller: Well I am from Massachusetts and all guns should be illegal.
911: Have a nice evening - CLICK.

In Connecticut:

Caller: There is a MWAG in my store.
911: It is not illegal to do that in Connecticut with a license, we will send an officer over to verify he is licensed if you like.
Caller: Well I am from Massachusetts and all guns should be illegal.
911: As long as he has a license it is not illegal here - this is not Massachusetts - CLICK.

In Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and Illinois:

Caller: There is a MWAG a Walmart
911: SWAT is En-Route - get to a safe location.