• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC do I understand the laws correct.

Paver1055

No guns on school property; no if posted no guns; not at polling place on election day. Everywhere else is confirmed ok? I am new here and do appreciate all and any responses greatly. Thank you.

Sonora Rebel

That's pretty much it. There may be some local parks that still require a CWP even if you open carry. I dunno... I never go to such parks. 'Worst that can happen is you'll be asked to leave. I've never heard of that happening tho.

Paver1055

That's pretty much it. There may be some local parks that still require a CWP even if you open carry. I dunno... I never go to such parks. 'Worst that can happen is you'll be asked to leave. I've never heard of that happening tho.

That's what I understood from reading the law. Thanks.

March Hare

Welcome to the forum!

More info:

Places that serve alcohol for consumption on premises;

No open carry.
If you carry, you must have a concealed carry permit, carry discretely and may not consume alcohol.
If the place is posted No Firearms, you can't legally carry discretely there even with a permit.

-MH

Paver1055

Welcome to the forum!

More info:

Places that serve alcohol for consumption on premises;

No open carry.
If you carry, you must have a concealed carry permit, carry discretely and may not consume alcohol.
If the place is posted No Firearms, you can't legally carry discretely there even with a permit.

-MH
Thanks for the info. New to OC, am planing on getting my CCW permit soon.

sharkey

Parks can not prevent you from carrying.

sharkey

Last edited:

azcdlfred

They can if it is posted, correct?
We (AzCDL) got the state preemption laws strengthened via HB 2543 back in 2010. The new law prevents local governments from banning carry in their parks. I don't have the statute handy, but if you go to the Arizona State Legislature's website and look up HB 2543 from the 2010 session you can find the law.

Fred

sharkey

We (AzCDL) got the state preemption laws strengthened via HB 2543 back in 2010. The new law prevents local governments from banning carry in their parks. I don't have the statute handy, but if you go to the Arizona State Legislature's website and look up HB 2543 from the 2010 session you can find the law.

Fred

Already beat you to it, look above your post. LOL :)

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03108.htm

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

I just recently moved here as we'll and I'm originally from New Jersey so you know I totally agree!

You can't carry a paperclip in NJ w/o a permit. The difference in freedom tends to shock the senses of most people who'e been denied RKBA where they came from. The real awakening will come the first time you encounter a LEO while openly armed. Nothing happens.

GWbiker

You can't carry a paperclip in NJ w/o a permit. The difference in freedom tends to shock the senses of most people who'e been denied RKBA where they came from. The real awakening will come the first time you encounter a LEO while openly armed. Nothing happens.

Oh, sometimes the LEO engages the OC person in a lengthy conversation about firearms and best places to get ammo.

If you OC while riding a motorcycle around town, a passing Tucson motor-cop might give you a grin or a thumbs up.

Paver1055

Fred

What if it's a public city park and the sign says limited to concealed carry permit holders? I OC there and nothing has been said even when park ranger or whatever they are called was there.

sharkey

What if it's a public city park and the sign says limited to concealed carry permit holders? I OC there and nothing has been said even when park ranger or whatever they are called was there.

The sign is outdated and has no legal weight.

We shared the preemption statute with you.

Paver1055

The sign is outdated and has no legal weight.

We shared the preemption statute with you.

Yes, and I did read it. I wanted to make sure that city parks could not do that even when still posted. Thanks.

azcdlfred

Yes, and I did read it. I wanted to make sure that city parks could not do that even when still posted. Thanks.
Some cities are deliberately leaving the signs up.

Down here in Tucson, they refused to rescind their local ordinance banning guns in parks after it was nullified by preemption. I don't visit the city parks (too many vagrants and low class types) but I bet the signs are still there.

Fred

Paver1055

Some cities are deliberately leaving the signs up.

Down here in Tucson, they refused to rescind their local ordinance banning guns in parks after it was nullified by preemption. I don't visit the city parks (too many vagrants and low class types) but I bet the signs are still there.

Fred

I'm in Peoria, and they still have the signs up. We go there for the kids to ride bikes. Thanks again for the info.