• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster options and opinions on what to try

Paver1055

I have an XD .45 4", and do not care for the holster that came with the kit. I have been thinking about a shoulder holster, but still like the hip holster. Any brands maybe better than the factory holster worth looking at? Thanks.

WalkingWolf

Um, all of them? You'll have to narrow down what you're looking for (retention? shoulder? IWB? OWB? etc)

SERPA, Galco, Don Hume, Crossbreed, Comp-tac, Kirkpatrick, Theis, Old Faithful, El Paso, Tucker, etc etc.....

+1 hundreds of choices. OP you need to narrow down the type of holster, based on your preferences and how you carry. Provide some info on what you want and you may get more defined suggestions.

Last edited:

Jay Jacobs

I have a shoulder rig two hip holsters and a pocket holster. My favorite is the IWB hip holster. I also prefer leather over Kydex.
Generally speaking, any of the major brands that specifically fit your weapon should work. And, as is often the case with the weapon itself, with holsters you usually get what you pay for.

xxx.jakk.xxx

With my XDm 40 I have a couple of Serpas, a Blackhawk leather holster and an Uncle Mikes IWB. I like all of them as they all serve their purpose well. The IWB for me is for concealment and works pretty well. Since I've gotten a smaller gun, I'm done trying to conceal my XDm but if I need to, it's still possible. As for the OWB holsters, the Serpa works great. It is sturdy and holds the gun in place. It does have retention, though with its popularity, the retention isn't much help if that's all you're relying on to keep it in the holster. You'll also need to keep up your situational awareness. When I first got my Serpa I was so excited I walked up to a friend to see if he could unholster my gun, turns out being in the military makes you pretty familiar with a Serpa (lol). My favorite holster right now is the OWB Leather. It isn't anything fancy, just a leather holster with a thumb break. It's comfortable, fashionable and even though it's specific to my gun, it will fit most double stack handguns. I actually use it with my Taurs 809c, too.

To pick a holster, I'd say take your unloaded gun to a gun shop, outdoors store, etc that sells holsters, check it with the information/ customer service counter to double check rules on trying holsters and then go try on some holsters. You really won't know what you like until you feel and see it on yourself.

Deliveryboi

I have an XD .45 4", and do not care for the holster that came with the kit. I have been thinking about a shoulder holster, but still like the hip holster. Any brands maybe better than the factory holster worth looking at? Thanks.

Personally I would suggest finding a local leatherman and have one made. You'll spend the same price as corporate cop-outs and you'll get 100x the quality.