• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - Record your permit times

Rich B

Connecticut Carry has started a new research initiative that we believe will assist in shining light on the problems with Connecticut’s permitting process.

When you logon to ctcarry.com with your username and password (you may register for free anytime), you enable the membership specific parts of ctcarry.com. These are not only contained in the Member Menu. To enter your permit timeline information, use the ‘Permits’ menu and select ‘Share your Experience’.
Here you will be prompted for the town that you obtained your permit and four key dates in the permit process. Select the dates that you know and click ‘Save’ to save your experience to the database.

With this data, we will be able to put a wide variety of analytics, reports and other things together. The plan is to use this material to show legislators, local issuing authorities and other people where the issues in our state lie. It will also assist us in better concentrating our efforts on the issues surrounding suitability.

The permit process in this state must be revamped, but first there is a lot of groundwork we must do to show how and why it is failing.
We cannot count on legislators in Connecticut to do what is right, we will have to make our own roads. Showing the number of rights violations through reckless and negligent issuing authorities and the games they play will help build the case against the current laws and practices.

Please encourage everyone you know to sign up and record their experience as well.

Last edited:

Rich B

A preview of the data so far:

Bridgeport - 15 Weeks (110 Days)
Bristol - 3 Weeks (24 Days)
Cromwel - 8 Weeks (56 Days)
Waterbury - 9 Weeks (65 Days)
Weston - 8 Weeks (56 Days)
Norwalk - 7 Weeks (49 Days)
Manchester - 4 Weeks (33 Days)
Ansonia - 9 Weeks (63 Days)
Wethersfield - 7 Weeks (50 Days)

SPOProds

A preview of the data so far:

Bridgeport - 15 Weeks (110 Days)
Bristol - 3 Weeks (24 Days)
Cromwel - 8 Weeks (56 Days)
Waterbury - 9 Weeks (65 Days)
Weston - 8 Weeks (56 Days)
Norwalk - 7 Weeks (49 Days)
Manchester - 4 Weeks (33 Days)
Ansonia - 9 Weeks (63 Days)
Wethersfield - 7 Weeks (50 Days)

I think BPT needs another reminder.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

metalman

What time frames are you looking for? I did my permit almost 4 years ago and I'm guessing waiting times and requirements may vary.
At the time I had to submit more (ref. letters, etc.) than my daughter did 2 years ago, both in East Haven. I'll enter the data if it is of use.

Rich B

What time frames are you looking for? I did my permit almost 4 years ago and I'm guessing waiting times and requirements may vary.
At the time I had to submit more (ref. letters, etc.) than my daughter did 2 years ago, both in East Haven. I'll enter the data if it is of use.

http://ctcarry.com/PermitTimes/Add

Required:

- Date your application was submitted to the local issuing authority:

Optional:

- Date the local issuing authority sent your fingerprints to the State's background check unit (DESPP SPBI):

- Date your background checks were sent back to the local issuing authority:

- Date your permit was issued by the local issuing authority:

metalman

All I know for sure was the date I submitted the application with fee and the date they issued the temporary permit. I entered that at your site.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hi Rich,

??? - does the data you are collecting include those who were denied by the town(s) and then approved by the board as well?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Did you happen to see this story of how New London treats applicants? http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/11/experience-with-a-restrictive-state.html

It's worth a read but apparently not that unusual.

This sailor is "helping others"? Really? He is not helping anyone. Clearly, he completely filled out the DPS form & paid all the $$ they asked. The DPS form is full of garbage that is not mandatory ... and then he complains its taking long for them to check out everything he provided to him.