Thread: Ruger SR22

Ruger SR22

Hey everyone

My lady is looking into getting a nice little .22lr pistol and is leaning toward the Ruger SR22. Having not actually owned any .22lr pistols and only seeing what people put on reviews for them, I'm pretty much in the dark when comparing these. I did go to the local gun store and handle the SR22 and some of the things made me feel a little iffy about it. It had a lot of plastic where i felt it should have metal inside the gun. It also didn't seem like it had that easy of a breakdown since the barrel is attached to the frame...

So seeing as how I really have nothing but holding it as experience with this gun, I need your guys' opinions on it. Any information from first hand experience would be nice. Maybe even comparing it to other major .22lr handguns like the P22.

Also, she is not necessarily looking for one to carry, she just wants a handgun for plinking, so even larger .22lrs like the mark III would be nice for comparison. She also isn't wanting anythign like a .380 or a .38 so please don't suggest larger caliber guns, she's just wanting a .22lr for now. Thanks
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

have you looked at the M&P 22? i have one and its a great pistol

there is also the Kimber 1911 .22cal. I want to get a 1911 .22cal one day

Quote Originally Posted by chris829
    have you looked at the M&P 22? i have one and its a great pistol
    I don't think she has. I know my buddy loves his m&p45. Is the m&p.22 as big as the m&p45? Is it made of the same resilient quality parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gardner
    there is also the Kimber 1911 .22cal. I want to get a 1911 .22cal one day
    She's really wanting a Kimber 1911 but doesn't have the funding to buy one. I think when she does, she's leaning more towards a .45 for the 1911, though.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Ruger SR22

I have the Browning Camper .22lr and the M&P .22 Sport for plinking. I like them both.

========================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by xxx.jakk.xxx View Post
    I don't think she has. I know my buddy loves his m&p45. Is the m&p.22 as big as the m&p45? Is it made of the same resilient quality parts?

She's really wanting a Kimber 1911 but doesn't have the funding to buy one. I think when she does, she's leaning more towards a .45 for the 1911, though.
    its the same size with an aluminum slide. its SAO.

Quote Originally Posted by xxx.jakk.xxx View Post
    ... She's really wanting a Kimber 1911 but doesn't have the funding to buy one. I think when she does, she's leaning more towards a .45 for the 1911, though.
    My only gripe with the otherwise excellent Ruger SR22 is the frame-mounted safety that operates in the opposite direction of most frame-mounted safeties, including the 1911.

For this reason, I will not get one. At least I know that the slide-mounted safety on my Walther P22 will operate the same as all other slide-mounted safeties.

I also own several Ruger Mark II's, and a Kimber 1911 .22.

Every .22 pistol I've got excels at something the others don't.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    My only gripe with the otherwise excellent Ruger SR22 is the frame-mounted safety that operates in the opposite direction of most frame-mounted safeties, including the 1911.

For this reason, I will not get one. At least I know that the slide-mounted safety on my Walther P22 will operate the same as all other slide-mounted safeties.

I also own several Ruger Mark II's, and a Kimber 1911 .22.

Every .22 pistol I've got excels at something the others don't.
    Isn't that kinda nitpicky, especially to discount buying the gun entirely? I mean, I can't even remember the last time I used the safety on a target gun. So why would it matter unless you want it to be a carry gun?
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

I also rarely use the safety on my guns of that type. They simply are rarely loaded until ready to shoot.

But, yes, I consider it a sufficient reason for ME not to buy one, and a sufficient reason to INFORM another potential buyer of the difference so they can make an informed decision for their needs.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Jakk,

I just picked up the Ruger LCR 22. That and the SR22 are what they seem to be, combat wanna-be pistols. Neither is a target pistol by any means. But, the LCR 22 is identical to the 38spl and 357mag versions with the exception of the firing pin, cylinder, and the barrel. The frame and trigger are identical. Some students and I test fired mine this past weekend and we managed to keep smaller than 1/2 dollar bill groups at 21 feet with two of us shooting quick-fire combat sessions with the LCR 22.

My contract employer has the SR22 and said it handles quite a bit like the Walther P22, just that it isn't as picky on ammo. The SR22 that I was allowed to shoot, thanks to a student, impressed me. It shot quite well and felt nice in the hand given what it was.

My wife has the LCR in 38spl and the 22 version was just to compliment so she could train cheaply. Now if Ruger would get smart and put out a convertible LCR that has all 3 cylinders as well as a 22 barrel sleeve I would certainly be a happy person.