• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tennesee Honors permits from all other states?

OngoingFreedom

Tennessee honors all other state permits.

Tennessee does not differentiate between open and concealed carry, only that you need a permit to do either.

You must have a permit to carry in Tennessee, period.

Remember, in Tennessee it is ILLEGAL to be armed. Having a permit (and producing it, if demanded by LE) is a defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nightmarehour

Tennessee does not differentiate between open and concealed carry, only that you need a permit to do either.

Remember, in Tennessee it is ILLEGAL to be armed. Having a permit (and producing it, if demanded by LE) is a defense.

Will a permit guarantee a non guilty verdict in court?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Nightmarehour

Will a permit guarantee a non guilty verdict in court?
There are never any guarantees in court.
It is most probable that barring any complicating factors a not guilty verdict could be expected.

It should be anticipated that a savvy/fair prosecutor would drop the charges under the same circumstances before ever getting that far.

Nevertheless, NavyLCDR's observation is spot on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So if Tennesee honors permits from all other states and I live in virginia, does Tennesee honor virginia open carry laws?

No state honors/follows the laws of another state.

You are bound by the laws of the state in which you stand, not your home state.

That and Virginia has no open carry laws. It is the absence of any law restricting open carry that makes doing so legal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

We should as a matter of course provide a cite when referring to a point of law. OCDO rules also point this out.

Example in support of "need a permit to do either"
See 39-17-1351 (r)(3)(A) Handgun carry permits.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

This allows one to see for themselves what the law says, rather than just taking someone's word for it.

Nightmarehour

it's just I'm kind of in between states right now. I still have my virginia address and my car and tittle and insurance are all in virginia, mainly due to my dad is on the registration as co owner of the car. So I can't tag it or register it in a state that he doesn't live in as for as I know. My apartment is in TN, I work in VA. Should I just get a VA Concealed permit and when the time come switch my car and drivers licence over to TN? Will the VA permit still be valid if I do?

papa bear

correct me if i am wrong NIGHTMARE, but TN does not have a nonresident permit. and you would have to get your permit in the state you live in. but that permit lasts as long as it is valid for. you might have to explain to an officer why you have a VA permit , but a TN address. but again check me if i am wrong you can go on that permit until it expires. then you may have to get a TN permit

just read your post again. is there any reason you can't get a TN permit?

Last edited:

Nightmarehour

correct me if i am wrong NIGHTMARE, but TN does not have a nonresident permit. and you would have to get your permit in the state you live in. but that permit lasts as long as it is valid for. you might have to explain to an officer why you have a VA permit , but a TN address. but again check me if i am wrong you can go on that permit until it expires. then you may have to get a TN permit

No. But Virginia is one of the easiest states to get a permit in. I can take my hunters ed card fill out the application and receive my permit in va. TN requires an 8 hour class, so many rounds on a live range, a more expensive application, and it lasts for 1 year less than va.

Fallguy

Since TN now honors all other states and all but one state issues permits, I'm not sure how much it still applies, but there is still code where under certain condtions TN will issue a permit to a non-resident. If you are employed in TN for 30 or more hours a week for at least 6 months. T.C.A. 39-17-1351(r)(3)(C)

Nightmarehour

Since TN now honors all other states and all but one state issues permits, I'm not sure how much it still applies, but there is still code where under certain condtions TN will issue a permit to a non-resident. If you are employed in TN for 30 or more hours a week for at least 6 months. T.C.A. 39-17-1351(r)(3)(C)

I guess what I'm saying is, if I get a va permit before changing my stuff over to TN will TN let me reciprocate and just get a TN license without meeting their requirements for training.

Fallguy

I guess what I'm saying is, if I get a va permit before changing my stuff over to TN will TN let me reciprocate and just get a TN license without meeting their requirements for training.

I meant to add that it really wouldn't apply in your situation.

If you have a permit from another state, the requirments to get a TN permit vary depending on what state you have a permit from.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml#VA

Virginia

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115) fee and be fingerprinted.

So from VA about the only step you don't have to do different than applying for one from scratch is being fingerprinted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Reciprocity is only about having a permit from another state recognized. It has nothing to do with getting a permit in TE. You still have to met the requirements of the law to qualify.
http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.shtml

papa bear

well again. does VA have a non resident permit? if they don't there are some other states that do. any of these states would still be honored by the state of TN. this was one of the arguments against honoring other states CHP by the antis

FLMason

Virginia does offer non-resident concealed handgun permits:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

maybe this will help Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351

(r) (1) A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

(2) For a person to lawfully carry a handgun in this state based upon a permit or license issued in another state, the person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times the person carries a handgun in this state.

(3) (A) The commissioner of safety shall enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of the agreements. The commissioner of safety shall prepare and publicly publish a current list of states honoring permits issued by the state of Tennessee and shall make the list available to anyone upon request. The commissioner of safety shall also prepare and publicly publish a current list of states who, after inquiry by the commissioner, refuse to enter into a reciprocity agreement with this state or honor handgun carry permits issued by this state. To the extent that any state may impose conditions in the reciprocity agreements, the commissioner of safety shall publish those conditions as part of the list. If another state imposes conditions on Tennessee permit holders in a reciprocity agreement, the conditions shall also become a part of the agreement and apply to the other state's permit holders when they carry a handgun in this state.

(B) If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

(C) (i) If a person who is a resident of and handgun permit holder in another state is employed in this state on a regular basis and desires to carry a handgun in this state, the person shall have six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in this state to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

(ii) The provisions of this subdivision (r)(3)(C) shall not apply if the state of residence of the person employed in Tennessee has entered into a handgun permit reciprocity agreement with this state pursuant to this subsection (r).

(iii) As used in this subdivision (r)(3)(C), "employed in this state on a regular basis" means a person has been gainfully employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months not counting any absence from employment caused by the employee's use of sick leave, annual leave, administrative leave or compensatory time.

Last edited by a moderator: