• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington State Trooper at the fair supports 2nd amendment

EMNofSeattle

So I was at the Puyallup fair the other day, and so I go to the Wash State Patrol exhibit and talk to a trooper, he notices my "TEAM GLOCK" hat and so the gun conversation starts, after a 2 minute talk about whether the Glock 19 is better then the Glock 30 I ask him about what he thinks of citizens owning weapons. here's what he had to say "I completely support concealed carry, every law abiding citizen has the right to keep themselves and their family safe from criminals" and so now here's the test, I ask "so what do you think of open carry?" he looks around to make sure the other officer wasn't in earshot and then lowers his voice and says "Yeah, I mean it freaks people out and I don't like causing other people to be fearful, but their fear is not reasonable and it is you constitutional right to open carry in public as long as you're not a felon" so I asked about contacts and he said "well i don't do contacts for OC as I'm not a local cop, but I would need some form of evidence outside the mere OC that the individual is a prohibited person or is about to commit a crime before i can stop them, we can always stop and get out of the car and ask what you're doing, but if he doesn't want to talk we can't force him too and we need probable cause to keep him there and investigate, so personally I would not and don't OC but it's not illegal nor should it be"

I would say he got just everything right there, I won't name him as I don't have have his specific permission to and I don't want to risk getting someone in trouble for talking political issues while in uniform.

Alpine

An officer stating that he is OK with enforcing and understanding current law is a political issue...? That's a sad state of affairs for OC. I wonder how the LEO lobbies will fall if/when the ban on OC comes up in 2012.

EMNofSeattle

An officer stating that he is OK with enforcing and understanding current law is a political issue...? That's a sad state of affairs for OC. I wonder how the LEO lobbies will fall if/when the ban on OC comes up in 2012.

He didn't say that, I said that, the sad state of affairs often is speaking a view that may or may not be popular with the powers that be can get you in trouble, That's my reason for not giving his name. I don't think he'd have a problem with it, but I don't know that, so I'm just saying. he never said that, but regardless it's difficult to get people in uniform to talk about legal and political issues (in my experience) so when I get an answer I don't go trumpeting their name, but yes we was a state trooper in uniform

unless it's an elected or appointed official holding political office or a celebrity, then quote away.

EMNofSeattle

That's what he SAYS, not what he does. ;)

Your proof of that is?

Believe me, I know officers that are more then willing to talk about how they think of law the other way, a port orchard officer once told me that RCW 9.41.270 means he can detain anyone for OCing as long as at least one person feels "nervous" which is in reality not the case. believe it or not, cops who understand the law incorrectly, are more then willing to show they don't understand the law, others are perfectly willing to lie if they feel it makes their case, one cop I know once said it's illegal for an 18 year old to possess a loaded pistol in WA under any circumstances, well RCW 9.41.060 has something to say about that....

however officers like that are comparatively rare.

Alpine

No, I was responding to the fact that you stated he seemed to be nervous to say what he did and didn't want his fellow officers to hear him say it. I agree with your insight that he was worried about the political implications of it and that's what I think is sad.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Your proof of that is?

Exactly. Cops will say one thing and do another..its not unheard of. Plus, I don't know they guy ... he maybe doing as he says, but more often, cops talk the talk but won't walk the walk. Same with soldiers "I would never point a gun at a citizen"...then Katrina .. never heard 1 soldier who objected

EMNofSeattle

DeltaOps

Some people talk about cops like they are all bad. Some people talk about OC and some even seem to think that all the people who OC are bad. Now we know that is not the case so instead of saying cops or LEOS, how about we just say some cops and some LEOs? Everyone has the right to ones own opinion but we can not have it one way and not the other. Not all cops are bad and not all are out to get you. Some do know the law and some think they know the law. Some OC citizens know the law and some think they know the law. Some citizens, just in general think they really know the law and some, well, they really have no clue. They just do what the masses (sheep) do. I thought the forums are to help educate not talk crap about people and LEOs? Yeah, I know, its not really bashing, but some things that people say just kinda blows.

Metalhead47

Some people talk about cops like they are all bad. Some people talk about OC and some even seem to think that all the people who OC are bad. Now we know that is not the case so instead of saying cops or LEOS, how about we just say some cops and some LEOs? Everyone has the right to ones own opinion but we can not have it one way and not the other. Not all cops are bad and not all are out to get you. Some do know the law and some think they know the law. Some OC citizens know the law and some think they know the law. Some citizens, just in general think they really know the law and some, well, they really have no clue. They just do what the masses (sheep) do. I thought the forums are to help educate not talk crap about people and LEOs? Yeah, I know, its not really bashing, but some things that people say just kinda blows.

This.

There is evidence presented that the cop in question is one of the good ones. There is, however, absolutely NO evidence presented that he's one of the bad ones. How about exercising some rational thought before jumping to convict him based solely on the behavior of others?

OC for ME

The problem with cops.....err, some cops, is that they inject their opinion into the performance on the job. I have yet to find a single instance of a citizen's opinion depriving any cop of his liberty.

amlevin

So what you're saying is that "cops" are people too? What a concept.

In my experience I've found that they behave just like everyone else. Some go looking for trouble and confrontation and others don't, just going about their business.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So what you're saying is that "cops" are people too? What a concept.

In my experience I've found that they behave just like everyone else. Some go looking for trouble and confrontation and others don't, just going about their business.

Yes, we are all people. But they have a JOB. Can you behave anyway you want in your job? duh, NO.

If you were to stop people, your customers who are OC/CC, and ask for their ID and for them to stay there just so you can check and see if they are felons..you would be out of a job in 20 seconds.

And cops, in most states, have no more right to do that than you do...but yet their employer rewards them.

EMNofSeattle

Yes, we are all people. But they have a JOB. Can you behave anyway you want in your job? duh, NO.

My job also doesn't come with the implication I'm responsible for the safety of the public at large, logical fallacy, false comparison

If you were to stop people, your customers who are OC/CC, and ask for their ID and for them to stay there just so you can check and see if they are felons..you would be out of a job in 20 seconds.

Again logically fallacious, false comparison. but a private property owner can demand your ID and then kick you off the property if you refuse.

And cops, in most states, have no more right to do that than you do...but yet their employer rewards them.
Not correct, cops are given powers to arrest with no warrant, to carry a firearm into restricted areas, to detain people for investigation of criminal activity, etc etc etc plus liability shields and a general duty to maintain public order. again logically fallacious false comparison.

it seems to me you're really just opposed to public order and want a society in which you can do anything you want with no consequence. to you the law's only useful if it directly benefits you by getting you off the hook for any suspicious behavior you're up to.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not correct, cops are given powers to arrest with no warrant, to carry a firearm into restricted areas, to detain people for investigation of criminal activity, etc etc etc plus liability shields and a general duty to maintain public order. again logically fallacious false comparison.

We can do all these acts as private citizens too....so a major fail on your part ... you may try again .. no offense meant .. :p

davidmcbeth

Banned

it seems to me you're really just opposed to public order and want a society in which you can do anything you want with no consequence

If everybody behaved liked me then no consequences would be needed ... public order would be instantly established ... (and I can do anything I want w/o consequence fyi)

Keep the faith !

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

We can do all these acts as private citizens too....so a major fail on your part ... you may try again .. no offense meant .. :p

Tell you what, place a blue light on your car and stop someone for speeding and issue them court process, just see how that works out for ya...

Or listen a police scanner, hear a call and then tear down the highway at 90 mph to get there.

or stop someone and threaten them with apprehension and force to conduct an investigation.

Yeah do all these things and then get back to me.