• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Britain Experience is this normal?

bushi01

So I am new to the forum and have enjoyed the resources here . I would like to update all of you as to my experience to with the city of New Britain. I took my class on 4 August 2012. I called to book my fingerprints the following Monday and was told they only did them on Tuesdays so I took the first available slot which was 14 August 2012. I brought all necessary paperwork including the extras they asked for. After my paperwork was reviewed and fingerprints done the detective / officer informed me that it would be 9-12 weeks before I heard anything. Not wanting to cause any waves I smiled, said thank-you and walked out knowing that this seemed a bit long.

I called them today to get the status of my permit approval thinking that at almost 5 weeks they would have some information for me. To begin with the woman who answered the phone made me feel as if I were wrong to call and inquire about the status of my permit. After a brief hold she informed me that my state check was still not done , however my FBI one has already come back. She then informed me that even if they had everything that it would still be another 2 weeks before anything was done because the person that handles permits was not there.

So I called the State PD today to see when all of my information was received by them. The woman there was a little more helpful but asked me to call back on Friday of this week with the money order # used to pay for the state. After both phone calls I am a little disturbed at the time this is beginning to take. Any insight would be helpful with this.

Rich B

If one background check is done, the other should be done as well. Call the SPBI back with your money order info and find out when they were returned.

They have '1 week' to issue or deny per CGS 29-29 once they receive the background check back, otherwise you should be appealing. I would be willing to bet that at the 5 week mark, you are overdue for an appeal, you just need to get the dates.

It is (unfortunately) very common for PDs to talk about extraordinary amounts of time despite they the fact that they effectively have about 2-3 weeks to issue or deny.

Rich B

Thanks Rich. Why would I need an appeal if I have yet to be denied?

If they go beyond the statutory time limits you have an 'administrative denial'. The earlier you get on the appeals list with the BFPE, the better. Their backlog is into January right now.

Another question what is SPBI? Thanks again!

State Police Bureau of Identification.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If they go beyond the statutory time limits you have an 'administrative denial'. The earlier you get on the appeals list with the BFPE, the better. Their backlog is into January right now.

I filed in March .... 6 months ago and have a date in dec ... sure about that Jan date? I chk again, still dec date

Last edited:

bushi01

We will see what the state says tomorrow. The woman today said they are still working on work for end of July. Will update you then.

bushi01

Ok so here is the update for all of you. I called the state pd this morning to inquire about my background check and was told that they could not give me any information and that I have to deal with the town in which I made my application. Any ideas at what I should do next? I do not want to seem like a pain in the ass so should i just wait this out?

Rich B

Ok so here is the update for all of you. I called the state pd this morning to inquire about my background check and was told that they could not give me any information and that I have to deal with the town in which I made my application. Any ideas at what I should do next? I do not want to seem like a pain in the ass so should i just wait this out?

Did you ask for 'records' when you called?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Buy a cadaver and cut his fingers off, send them in and say "my prints won't do you any good in the future...can I have my permit NOW?..if not, expect one foot next - I would still need 1 to hop around, I'm sure you understand"

Like pulling teeth huh .... and they'll give you fake names, so be careful to write their names down and check with the CT employee list ..

http://www.phone.ct.gov/phonesearch.aspx

Last edited:

bushi01

Well folks another week goes by and another update. I finally got a hold of someone in the records dept that would at least speak with me. She was very vague and would not give me any information other than they have it and not to worry about it that the are working on it. Why is this process so secretive? Given the guidelines I have read about and how long this should take I am really beginning to get frustrated. Tomorrow will be six weeks. Guess they are going for the full 8 weeks they are allowed.

Rich B

Guess they are going for the full 8 weeks they are allowed.

They are not allowed 8 weeks. You need to keep calling until you get someone who wants to do their job. I don't know why some of the people there are so difficult to deal with and some are fine. We are currently working on this and we have a hearing this month regarding this.

Good Citizen

They are not allowed 8 weeks. You need to keep calling until you get someone who wants to do their job. I don't know why some of the people there are so difficult to deal with and some are fine. We are currently working on this and we have a hearing this month regarding this.

I hit the same road block last year they referred me back to the local pd, for the print/background date verification. I went there in person and asserted my rights, they then sent a clerk from the firearms unit over as it was my 2nd application while I was in my BOFE waiting period, and he told me the same thing. Even thought I new it was BS!

After reading this then recalling the information that your organization put out Rich in regards to the the pd's statutorily not being able to charge. So it appears the SP finger print/background unit, is Denying services, by refusing to answer date request questions, that citizens have rightfully paid for, more than likely in conjunction with the spflu, so the pd's can drag their feet, with no repercussion, as it appears you can not get an answer when the checks come back. By the time you can foia, in most instances the fingerprint date, it defeats the background /finger print check return date section of the statue of the firearms check Auto denial or their lawful response date, it appears they are making it impossible to use the portion of the statue, (ie return of background check ?5 day rule?) by blocking a citizens inquiry's????????

If no one is getting answers to background check dates, that were lawfully paid for, & charged by the pd without granted authority, it appears there is a problem, and the law is being toyed with.

bushi01

The concern I have is that if I keep calling the people responsible for this that my permit would be denied for some strange reason. I know it sounds ridiculous but this seems to be more of a delicate process then some teenager getting their drivers license.

Rich B

The concern I have is that if I keep calling the people responsible for this that my permit would be denied for some strange reason. I know it sounds ridiculous but this seems to be more of a delicate process then some teenager getting their drivers license.

What difference would it make? Either way it is an appeal.

bushi01

So let me get this right. Even though I have not heard anything yet either approved or denied you are saying I should start an appeal? If so on what grounds, with whom and will this in any way have an effect on my application now. Also what happens if during this appeal I get my permit?

Rich B

So let me get this right. Even though I have not heard anything yet either approved or denied you are saying I should start an appeal? If so on what grounds, with whom and will this in any way have an effect on my application now. Also what happens if during this appeal I get my permit?

I didn't say that. I told you to get your dates. Most likely your dates will show an administrative denial if the timeline is over the 5 days or 1 week deadlines. And then yes, you absolutely should file an appeal right away.

If you appeal and the PD issues your permit, you cancel your appeal. This happens more often than not.

If you have been following along on this forum and the various threads like this, you should know that a violation of CGS 29-28 or CGS 29-29 is an administrative denial. If you are over the 5 days, 1 week or 8 week deadline you are denied.

Last edited: