• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Britain Experience is this normal?

Rich B

No need to contact them as I did not file the appeal. Once in possession of my permit what can I do to help other people with this process. Just from my experience it appears that some of the local authorities need some work in how they handle permits. How can I become active in protecting our 2nd amendment rights?

Let us know what you can/want to/are good at doing, we can always use help: info [at] ctcarry.com

There are also plenty of things available on our site: http://ctcarry.com

As well as constant updates on the assistance needed in the monthly newsletter sent to our members.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Living in Pennsylvania (we fought three wars with Connecticut), it's kind of difficult to relate to your problems with getting a license to carry (our process can take as little as 15 minutes, or as long as 45 days), but, from an outsider's view, can't you write to your elected (either state or local) representative and ask for his/her assistance?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Living in Pennsylvania (we fought three wars with Connecticut), it's kind of difficult to relate to your problems with getting a license to carry (our process can take as little as 15 minutes, or as long as 45 days), but, from an outsider's view, can't you write to your elected (either state or local) representative and ask for his/her assistance?

One can participate by keeping an eye on bills going through committees as well .. one can go and address the committees via personal appearance or by making written statements or by a combination of both.

So even if your local legislators poo poo legislation, you can still have a voice ...

bushi01

Just got the call that my permit is ready to be picked up!!! Gonna pick it up tomorrow am. Gonna ask a dumb question but I would like to wrap this up tomorrow. I believe I go to the State Police in Middletown for this with $70.00 for my real permit. Guess I am asking what next.

Thanks!

Rich B

Just got the call that my permit is ready to be picked up!!! Gonna pick it up tomorrow am. Gonna ask a dumb question but I would like to wrap this up tomorrow. I believe I go to the State Police in Middletown for this with $70.00 for my real permit. Guess I am asking what next.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

Within the 60 day period, go to a DESPP, Division of State Police, pistol permit location and submit the following:
- The Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers (DPS-11-C) issued by the local authority;
- A completed Application for State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers (DPS-46-C);
- $70.00 payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut;
- Proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States (e.g., certified copy of birth certificate, U.S. passport or documentation issued by I.C.E.)

The DPS-46-C will be the little white card that is at DESPP when you first get into the permit line.

Last edited:

bushi01

Well all the saga to get my permit is over as I have it in hand. Looking back I see that there are a number of problems with the process. The most disturbing being the lack of communication between the applicant and the issuing city or town when the applicant calls inquiring about the status of their application. I look forward to becoming a voice now in defense of our 2nd amendment rights.

Freiheit417

Their game is to wear you down until you give up.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life...Never, never, never give up. " - Winston Churchill

Illegitimi non carborundum :lol:

Rich B

Well all the saga to get my permit is over as I have it in hand. Looking back I see that there are a number of problems with the process. The most disturbing being the lack of communication between the applicant and the issuing city or town when the applicant calls inquiring about the status of their application. I look forward to becoming a voice now in defense of our 2nd amendment rights.

If you filed an appeal, please let the BFPE know that you received your permit.

Afragu

So I am new to the forum and have enjoyed the resources here . I would like to update all of you as to my experience to with the city of New Britain. I took my class on 4 August 2012. I called to book my fingerprints the following Monday and was told they only did them on Tuesdays so I took the first available slot which was 14 August 2012. I brought all necessary paperwork including the extras they asked for. After my paperwork was reviewed and fingerprints done the detective / officer informed me that it would be 9-12 weeks before I heard anything. Not wanting to cause any waves I smiled, said thank-you and walked out knowing that this seemed a bit long.

I called them today to get the status of my permit approval thinking that at almost 5 weeks they would have some information for me. To begin with the woman who answered the phone made me feel as if I were wrong to call and inquire about the status of my permit. After a brief hold she informed me that my state check was still not done , however my FBI one has already come back. She then informed me that even if they had everything that it would still be another 2 weeks before anything was done because the person that handles permits was not there.

So I called the State PD today to see when all of my information was received by them. The woman there was a little more helpful but asked me to call back on Friday of this week with the money order # used to pay for the state. After both phone calls I am a little disturbed at the time this is beginning to take. Any insight would be helpful with this.

ooh boy,I hope I don't get the same treatment,being that I filed for mines last week in new britain.

Afragu

Keep track of your dates, appeal as soon as the statutes are not followed.

Idk if i should give em the 8 weeks allowed or call em on the status of my permit by the 6 week.I really don't want to wait that long,12/11 would be the 8th week.

Rich B

Idk if i should give em the 8 weeks allowed or call em on the status of my permit by the 6 week.I really don't want to wait that long,12/11 would be the 8th week.

There is no '8 weeks allowed'.

http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Timeline said:
The Connecticut General Statutes prescribe a rather strict timeline for the pistol permit process. This timeline is dictated by CGS 29-28a and CGS 29-29. The deadlines described in these statutes give your local issuing authority "5 days" from the date you submit your application with fingerprints until they must submit your fingerprints to the State Police Bureau of Identification (SPBI). Once your FBI report is received back from the SPBI, the local issuing authority has "one week" to issue an approval or denial.

Look through the permit threads here, you will see the steps outlined to get your dates from SPBI and you will gain some of the experience of others who have gone through this process.

Post any questions or issues you have as you get your dates and go through the process.

Afragu

There is no '8 weeks allowed'.

Look through the permit threads here, you will see the steps outlined to get your dates from SPBI and you will gain some of the experience of others who have gone through this process.

Post any questions or issues you have as you get your dates and go through the process.

SO what you're saying is, that I can call the SPBI as of next week ? i have read a few permit threads on this issue but I dont want to piss anyone off down at the New Britain PD.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I dont want to piss anyone off down at the New Britain PD.

"This is why you fail"....Yoda

Your trying to get a permit, why should they get pissed when you contact an agency in reference to it? And why should you care if they do?

I piss off many gov't officials off, many. They piss me off too so I guess we're even. Rather be pissed off than pissed on hehehehe.

Last edited:

Afragu

You can call and you should.

You are not calling New Britain PD. You are calling SPBI.

so i called the spbi and they said to call new britain and i called n.b and they said that it'll take 3 months to know if i was denied or not lady said if you have any issues with that call the spbi.

davidmcbeth

Banned
so i called the spbi and they said to call new britain and i called n.b and they said that it'll take 3 months to know if i was denied or not lady said if you have any issues with that call the spbi.

Have you filed your appeal letter and questionnaire (with objections I hope) yet?

Rich B

Call SPBI back at 860-685-8480. Ask for 'records'. Make sure you have your money order information with you. If the person isn't helpful, keep calling back until someone helps you.

SPBI has nothing to do with any '3 month' backlog. That is a lie.

Afragu

Call SPBI back at 860-685-8480. Ask for 'records'. Make sure you have your money order information with you. If the person isn't helpful, keep calling back until someone helps you.

SPBI has nothing to do with any '3 month' backlog. That is a lie.

I did and the lady from spbi said to give it a few more weeks,towards the ends of November,she said. so ill keep you guys posted.