• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Rule#19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please read/review the Forum Rules regularly as they are subject to change/modification.

We have a new Rule #19:

(19) COLORED TEXT: The forum software allows you to change the colors of fonts. Sometimes this can make it easy to emphasize a point or to express sarcasm. However, if abused it can also make it very difficult to read posts. We reserve the right to deem a given post with colored text to be to abusive but the general rule is that color is fine for acceptable purposes such as purple for sarcasm or to highlight a given point.

Please use this judiciously.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

I don't think the white test works too well .. lol ... but I have not noted an abundance of colored text .

Just wanted to note, since new server is being evaluated, seems to be slow right now : 3:30pm EST

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I don't think the white test works too well .. lol ... but I have not noted an abundance of colored text .

Just wanted to note, since new server is being evaluated, seems to be slow right now : 3:30pm EST

White text works well for explanation messages like this: (snicker, laugh)

The concentrated pockets of heavier use of color fonts has already been addressed.

New server is being worked on throughout the day and maybe on and off for the next couple of days.

CCinMaine

I've had problems with colored text using tapatalk xperant app on my phone. Switched back to the regular app and it cleared up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sad that we actually had to make this a rule based on the poor actions of a few....

Edit: Just wanted wanted to clarify that I am not opposed to the rule, just lamenting the fact that it had to be implemented in the first place...

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ahh... Rules. Interestingly, the term "Republic" has its roots in the Latin respublica, from res thing, wealth + publica, feminine of publicus. Together, it literally means "public thing," and they're used to describe a government governed by the rule of law i.e. rules.

Here's a very good video which describes how important rules are to a polite, civilized society:

[video=youtube;KFXuGIpsdE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXuGIpsdE0&feature=related[/video]

eye95

It is not just rules that make a republic. Sure, in our Republic, we are a nation of laws and not of men, but that does not mean that any rule, even one that is a "thing of the people," is republican. The republican ideal is all rules respect the rights of all and that the freedom that we give up to the rules is only that necessary to ensure maximum Liberty for all.

While we are closer to that republican ideal than any other nation on Earth, we are not nearly as close as when that ideal was first adopted. Pity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This all has what to do with the use of colored fonts or for that matter with OCing?

The point of the thread was to remind people of the new rule. Believe that has been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.