• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RU willing to render students defenseless?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Despite the harsh lesson learned at Virginia Tech and the very real threat of future lawsuits, more and more of Virginia’s public colleges and universities have been passing regulations banning carry on campus after Attorney General Cuccinelli issued an opinion that university policies do not overrule state-issued concealed carry permits but properly promulgated regulations, which have the force and effect of law, do.

At that brings us to today’s update. Sadly, last Friday, the Radford University Board of Visitors voted to join this trend.

Read more at
http://monachuslex.com/?p=2030

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does not make the OP feel safer ... feelings, oh-oh-oh-feelings .... feelings mean squat.

More commie pinkos !

Last edited:

randian

Virginia doesn't have a preemption statute? Doesn't matter if these regulations "have the force of law" if it's invalid law.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Virginia doesn't have a preemption statute? Doesn't matter if these regulations "have the force of law" if it's invalid law.

Virginia's preemption statute applies to localities / municipalities but NOT to state agencies and the regulations they lawfully promulgate. That is high on the list of needed changes.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Simple solution.....do not go to any campi that bans guns.

That is not an option for students whose future depends upon getting a college education and a particular school is the best choice for a variety of reasons (reputation in the field, scholarship opportunities, regional convenience, etc).

These are PUBLIC colleges and universities and should respect the rights of all citizens!

OC for ME

That is not an option for students whose future depends upon getting a college education and a particular school is the best choice for a variety of reasons (reputation in the field, scholarship opportunities, regional convenience, etc).

These are PUBLIC colleges and universities and should respect the rights of all citizens!
Very true if you desire to attend a classroom.

There are many high quality institutions of higher learning that now provide on-line learning. Some of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning by the way. So, if the student desires the ambiance of college life then go forth unarmed. If you desire a high quality and marketable education there are options, many more than there used to be.

As i previously stated - Simple solution.....do not go to any campi that bans guns.

When I went to college I went for the "education" (wink-wink nod-nod).