Thread: Texas mom sues police after arrest for allowing kids to play outside

Texas mom sues police after arrest for allowing kids to play outside

http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/18/te...-play-outside/

Police arrested a Texas mom for allowing her children to play outside last week, after a neighbor reported to police that the kids were riding scooters around a cul de sac.

Tammy Cooper, who was arrested for child endangerment, insists she was watching her children from a lawn chair in her front yard.
    Now, Cooper is suing the La Porte Police Department, the arresting officer and the neighbor who made the call.

A few hours after the neighbor called police, a La Porte policeman showed up to the scene of the “crime” to arrest Cooper.

“I went out there to see what he was here for and he said, ‘Ma’am, we’re here for you.’ I said, ‘Oh really? Why?’ He proceeded to tell me he had received a call from one of my neighbors that my kids were riding their scooters unsupervised”, Cooper told KRPC.
    That's the most telling thing right there. Apparently there wasn't a whole lot of danger if the police took their sweet ass time responding.
    Last edited by Jack House; 09-18-2012 at 11:57 PM.

The La Porte Police department issued a statement saying;

"...we are confident in the known actions of the responding officers. In addition, officers did contact the Harris County District Attorney's Office while on the scene that evening, upon which their Office accepted charges of Abandoning a Child on Ms. Cooper."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Mo...o/-/index.html
    I foresee a huge payday for her. I've gotta keep tabs on this one. NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

These things almost never end the way a rational person would think they should. Almost never.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I foresee a huge payday for her. I've gotta keep tabs on this one. NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!!
    Hopefully. They had no business interfering with this woman or her kids.

Banned
    I'm sure she "told her story" instead of saying "get out of here"...now she has issues.

Who knows what she told the police. We'll find out. (maybe)

Stupid stupid stupid .. talking to the cops.

Everyone should file a notice of trespass with your local and state authorities telling them to keep their employees off your land. Then they cannot enter unless they are there to arrest you. (or they are trespassing)

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I foresee a huge payday for her.
    I'm sorry my friend but you are delusional.
    The man with the biggest gun makes the rules. We have voluntarily given our guns away (just about). Therefore we are at the mercy of those with them.
    You will NEVER hear any progress of this case. Mark my words.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I like that she's suing the neighbor; she'll lose that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    I like that she's suing the neighbor; she'll lose that one though.
    IANAL, but I'm not too sure she would lose that one.

I remember the days, when I was a child, that we would play outside from the time we got up until Mom or Dad called us in. Those were the days when the neighbors sat out on the front porch, drinking ice tea, and watching us little hellions. We were always under the watchful eye of one adult or the other and no one thought of calling the police on their neighbors for something as stupid as this. Neither we nor our parents were overly concerned about our safety, either.

I'd be taking measures (legal measures, to be sure) to make that nosy neighbor as uncomfortable as I possibly could. After the lawsuit, of course.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I'm sorry my friend but you are delusional.
    The man with the biggest gun makes the rules. We have voluntarily given our guns away (just about). Therefore we are at the mercy of those with them.
    You will NEVER hear any progress of this case. Mark my words.
    Maybe talking about the candybar?

Heck, I would out miles from home while playing without any problems.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Question Are you sure this isn't from the Onion?

It sounds an awful lot like something the Onion would come up with.
    Police arrested a Texas mom for allowing her children to play outside last week.
    Seriously, riding around in a cul-de-sac is grounds for charges of abandonment?!?!
    Wow... I must have been abandoned much of my childhood & never knew any better.
    I'd spend hours riding my bike, or at the swimming pool, or playing with friends, or tucked away in the corner of the library. Most of the time, Mom probably only had a vague idea where I was.

I remember going with her one summer to the tiny town where she grew up, & having even more freedom the couple weeks we were there, being even less supervised (though in reality I was probably better supervised 'cause everyone knew who I was & who I was visiting, & just generally kept an eye on all the kids they saw).

Growing up we were run out of the house if the weather was nice~~Never knew it was illegal.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

This is just another example of what happens when we let government interfere in the family.