• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas mom sues police after arrest for allowing kids to play outside

Jack House

http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/18/t...ter-arrest-for-allowing-kids-to-play-outside/

Police arrested a Texas mom for allowing her children to play outside last week, after a neighbor reported to police that the kids were riding scooters around a cul de sac.

Tammy Cooper, who was arrested for child endangerment, insists she was watching her children from a lawn chair in her front yard.
Now, Cooper is suing the La Porte Police Department, the arresting officer and the neighbor who made the call.

A few hours after the neighbor called police, a La Porte policeman showed up to the scene of the “crime” to arrest Cooper.

“I went out there to see what he was here for and he said, ‘Ma’am, we’re here for you.’ I said, ‘Oh really? Why?’ He proceeded to tell me he had received a call from one of my neighbors that my kids were riding their scooters unsupervised”, Cooper told KRPC.
That's the most telling thing right there. Apparently there wasn't a whole lot of danger if the police took their sweet ass time responding.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

I think 2-3 years in state prison is appropriate.

Children should be taken away and placed in foster care.

Government and nosy neighboors know best.

OC for ME

The La Porte Police department issued a statement saying;

"...we are confident in the known actions of the responding officers. In addition, officers did contact the Harris County District Attorney's Office while on the scene that evening, upon which their Office accepted charges of Abandoning a Child on Ms. Cooper."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/M...rest/-/1735978/16528610/-/b7nf6o/-/index.html
I foresee a huge payday for her. I've gotta keep tabs on this one. NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!!

Jack House

I foresee a huge payday for her. I've gotta keep tabs on this one. NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!! NO SETTLEMENT!!!!
Hopefully. They had no business interfering with this woman or her kids.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm sure she "told her story" instead of saying "get out of here"...now she has issues.

Who knows what she told the police. We'll find out. (maybe)

Stupid stupid stupid .. talking to the cops.

Everyone should file a notice of trespass with your local and state authorities telling them to keep their employees off your land. Then they cannot enter unless they are there to arrest you. (or they are trespassing)

twoskinsonemanns

I foresee a huge payday for her.

I'm sorry my friend but you are delusional.
The man with the biggest gun makes the rules. We have voluntarily given our guns away (just about). Therefore we are at the mercy of those with them.
You will NEVER hear any progress of this case. Mark my words.

SFCRetired

I like that she's suing the neighbor; she'll lose that one though.

IANAL, but I'm not too sure she would lose that one.

I remember the days, when I was a child, that we would play outside from the time we got up until Mom or Dad called us in. Those were the days when the neighbors sat out on the front porch, drinking ice tea, and watching us little hellions. We were always under the watchful eye of one adult or the other and no one thought of calling the police on their neighbors for something as stupid as this. Neither we nor our parents were overly concerned about our safety, either.

I'd be taking measures (legal measures, to be sure) to make that nosy neighbor as uncomfortable as I possibly could. After the lawsuit, of course.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm sorry my friend but you are delusional.
The man with the biggest gun makes the rules. We have voluntarily given our guns away (just about). Therefore we are at the mercy of those with them.
You will NEVER hear any progress of this case. Mark my words.

Maybe talking about the candybar? :)

MKEgal

Are you sure this isn't from the Onion?

It sounds an awful lot like something the Onion would come up with.
Police arrested a Texas mom for allowing her children to play outside last week.

Seriously, riding around in a cul-de-sac is grounds for charges of abandonment?!?!
Wow... I must have been abandoned much of my childhood & never knew any better.
I'd spend hours riding my bike, or at the swimming pool, or playing with friends, or tucked away in the corner of the library. Most of the time, Mom probably only had a vague idea where I was.

I remember going with her one summer to the tiny town where she grew up, & having even more freedom the couple weeks we were there, being even less supervised (though in reality I was probably better supervised 'cause everyone knew who I was & who I was visiting, & just generally kept an eye on all the kids they saw).