Thread: Am I doing it right?

Am I doing it right?

So as of right now I do not have my CPL as it is still being processed, that being said, every time I get in my car I have to unholster and unload.

This is where I am a little curious as to what I'm doing and if its "legal".
    When I get in my car I place my pistol on the passenger seat (or back seat if someone is with me) with the slide locked open. I also place my magazine in the center console.

So are these the proper steps? Should I be doing something different?

Thanks,
    PJ
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    So as of right now I do not have my CPL as it is still being processed, that being said, every time I get in my car I have to unholster and unload.

This is where I am a little curious as to what I'm doing and if its "legal".
    When I get in my car I place my pistol on the passenger seat (or back seat if someone is with me) with the slide locked open. I also place my magazine in the center console.

So are these the proper steps? Should I be doing something different?

Thanks,
    PJ
    As we like to say on these boards: as long as the firearm is not loaded (mag in a semi-auto or rounds in the cylinder of a revolver) you can have the firearm duct taped to your forehead and it would be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    As we like to say on these boards: as long as the firearm is not loaded (mag in a semi-auto or rounds in the cylinder of a revolver) you can have the firearm duct taped to your forehead and it would be legal.
    With that being said, can I reholster my weapon if its unloaded?
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Two things:

The firearm may not be loaded while in the vehicle.

The firearm may not be concealed upon your person.

Until you get your CPL...
    Live Free or Die!

What gogo said. As long as it is unloaded and not concealed on your person, you will be fine. Please read RCW 9.14.050 for clarification.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Yes, you can reholster the weapon as long as there is no round in the chamber and no magazine inserted.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Do NOT get in your car, THEN unload.

DO get a Serpa, which not only has retention, but allows you to safely clear the weapon while still holstered.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Do NOT get in your car, THEN unload.

DO get a Serpa, which not only has retention, but allows you to safely clear the weapon while still holstered.
    Should have been at the oc bbq, then you'd have mien I have a serpa.

That being said, how do you clear your weapon while its on your hip?
    -PJ

Should have been at the oc bbq, then you'd have mien I have a serpa.

That being said, how do you clear your weapon while its on your hip?
    Same way you clear any semi-auto pistol.

Remove mag, cycle slide, look into and finger chamber.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.